• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is there an approved safety course with no live fire?

Is there currently an approved safety course you can take to get an LTC which does not have a live fire component?

IIRC, the old NRA Home Firearms Safety class had no live fire component, but it looks like the class no longer exists (replaced by the Personal Protection in the Home class, which has a live fire component).

I ask because I want to get my wife certified, but she's pregnant and can't be on a range for a while.

MFS used to. I know they have a range now to do live fire, but i wonder if theyre going to offer the class with the simulator too.

I took mine at mass firearms school in Framingham, and they don't do live fire for the basic safety course. They have a CO2 system hooked up to modified guns to simulate recoil when you pull the trigger, but you shoot at a projector screen pretty much.

Here's the link:

http://www.massfirearmsschool.com/

rrogan, they do live-fire now that they moved. They moved to a new location and built a range.

The course being referred to (LTC-007) still exists, but MFS is no longer offering it. The class currently offered would still get your wife a usable certificate even without taking part in the live fire portion -- it's not compulsory.

Tom Cheffro at Boston Firearms can provide your wife with LTC-007 or LTC-020 without the shooting. The shooting is an optional component of LTC-020, it is not required.

Tom is your man North of Boston.

796 Broadway Revere, MA 02151
(781) 284-6677

The LTC-007 is specifically the NRA home firearm safety class. If this is the class listed be sure that she receives the associated NRA course material and certification. If not, she has not taken the LTC-007 course.

I am aware of a few who issue a state cert listing LTC-007 as the course, but not actually delivering the complete course as it is defined.

It is my understanding that the LTC-020 is similar to the LTC-007, but with out the course and content requirements that the NRA has in the NRA HFS class.

Good luck!!

The course being referred to (LTC-007) still exists, but MFS is no longer offering it. The class currently offered would still get your wife a usable certificate even without taking part in the live fire portion -- it's not compulsory.

What is the MA cert that they now give for the 4 hour class? the LTC-020?

Thanks!

Is there currently an approved safety course you can take to get an LTC which does not have a live fire component?

IIRC, the old NRA Home Firearms Safety class had no live fire component, but it looks like the class no longer exists (replaced by the Personal Protection in the Home class, which has a live fire component).

Huh?

The NRA Home Firearms Safety course is still listed on the NRA's training web site: http://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseCatalog.aspx

And it is still approved by EOPS: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/msp/approved-basic-firearms-safety-course-list-updated.html

Last edited:

Section 131P. (a) Any person making application for the issuance of a firearms identification card under section 129B, a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms under section 131 or 131F or a permit to purchase under section 131A who was not licensed under the provisions of this chapter on June 1, 1998 shall, in addition to the requirements set forth in said section 129B, 131, 131A or 131F, submit to the licensing authority a basic firearms safety certificate; provided, however, that a certificate issued by the division of law enforcement in the department of fisheries, wildlife and environmental law enforcement pursuant to the provisions of section 14 of chapter 131 evidencing satisfactory completion of a hunter education course shall serve as a valid substitute for a basic firearms safety certificate required under this section;...

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131P

The course offered at Northshore Firearms in Middleton is a no live fire course. 5hr Saturday course you get a Sig Arms Academy cert which will get you your LTC. Offered i believe almost every Saturday and is 100 they do require a 50 deposit to hold your spot.

Section 131P. (a) Any person making application for the issuance of a firearms identification card under section 129B, a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms under section 131 or 131F or a permit to purchase under section 131A who was not licensed under the provisions of this chapter on June 1, 1998 shall, in addition to the requirements set forth in said section 129B, 131, 131A or 131F, submit to the licensing authority a basic firearms safety certificate; provided, however, that a certificate issued by the division of law enforcement in the department of fisheries, wildlife and environmental law enforcement pursuant to the provisions of section 14 of chapter 131 evidencing satisfactory completion of a hunter education course shall serve as a valid substitute for a basic firearms safety certificate required under this section;...

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131P

Yeah, I guess you're right.

The course offered at Northshore Firearms in Middleton is a no live fire course. 5hr Saturday course you get a Sig Arms Academy cert which will get you your LTC. Offered i believe almost every Saturday and is 100 they do require a 50 deposit to hold your spot.

Northshore Firearms issues Sig certificates? (With no live fire?)

Northshore Firearms issues Sig certificates? (With no live fire?)

It is the LTC 004 course # on the certificate it says Sig Arms Academy for the certified course title so i suppose that may just be where the instructor got his certification?

Also just so you know the reason i took the course was the police said my hunters ed cert i got in 1999 did not meet the requirements for me to apply for a LTC just the FID i already had.

Last edited:

I ask because I want to get my wife certified, but she's pregnant and can't be on a range for a while.

We would be glad to have your wife go through our class (without live fire) for 50% off the tuition ($50).

It is the LTC 004 course # on the certificate it says Sig Arms Academy for the certified course title so i suppose that may just be where the instructor got his certification?

Also just so you know the reason i took the course was the police said my hunters ed cert i got in 1999 did not meet the requirements for me to apply for a LTC just the FID i already had.

I think it really depends on town/department, some will accept it and some wont.

So pregnant women shouldnt shoot guns?

Hunter ed will qualify and there is no live fire, but it's the slow painful way to get it done. Plus she won't learn a darn thing about guns if it's anything like my hunter ed class last year.

OK, I'll stretch my wings here, a bit, having just completed the Instructor's course at GOAL.

Any of the listed courses, and the Mass Hunter Ed are approved for LTC. Live fire is not a requirement.

That being said, your CoP may decide that the course is not "good enough", and you can fight it, or take another course.

The "named" courses are courses that were developed by someone (or some group) other than NRA, and the course curriculum was approved by the MSP.

Actually, the NRA Home Firearm Safety and Basic pistol courses have no Mass Law component, and when you teach that info, you have to be clear that it's not part of the NRA curriculum. It's required by the MSP, though, to issue the certificate.

Back
Top Bottom