• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is there an age limit for firearms needing fa10?

I just recently inherited 3 revolvers and a single shot rifle 22 from a deceased relative. The revolvers are 2 Harrington Richardson’s and an unmarked one that is mostly inoperable (no grips, cylinder barely locks, basically its in scary shape and I wouldn’t dare shoot it even if I knew what ammo it needed). The rifle is an iver Johnson. As close as I can tell they are all from either the late 1800s or very early 1900s. I’ll post some pictures here later when I can, as of now they are out of state.

So what do I need to do to legally bring them home? As old as they are do they even need an fa10?

Also, I probably won’t keep them. If I sell them either online or through a gun shop do I need to fill an fa10 before selling them?

Last edited:
From Glidden's book, MGL C. 140 S. 121 Notes:
weapons (pre-1900) and replicas of antiques: These weapons are exempt from the licensing requirements (see Comm. v. Jefferson 2012) and all safe storage requirements.
So, by S/N (if any) any antique guns need not be FA-10'd.

Just go get them and register them if needed. Use Registration option, NOT inheritance, and skip the first page (asks where you got the gun).

If I recall correctly, federal law and Mass law diverge. You need a 4473 for guns manufactured after 1898. For an FA-10, it's manufacture after 1899.

Back
Top Bottom