Is there a way to shut off the turn on beeps on a Baofeng UV-5R type radio?

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
I actually have the UV-5X3 triband radio but they should almost be identical as far as programming. The two beeps that sound when you first switch on the radio is annoying sometimes. I am going to shoot Btech an email too and see if it's possible. Maybe someone here knows and can preempt their answer.

No clue on turning it off, just don't increase the volume beyond 0 when turning it on?

As a disclaimer, I own a few of these and don't mind the beeps

Using Chirp, in the basic settings there is a Beep Enable check box. I saw the Roger Beep Enable check box somewhere else in the settings. Basic Settings has all the startup items in it so it may be what you are looking for.

Disable the 'roger beep' on a Baofeng UV-5R
[MENU]
[3] [9] (ROGER)
[MENU]
[^] (until it says OFF)
[MENU]
[EXIT]

Maybe that didn't answer your question... I was told by someone else that it didn't

This might help.
Baofeng Cheat Sheet

Thanks. The "roger" beep is something different. The turn on beeps are not controlled by setting the roger beep off or on. Good idea though.

No clue on turning it off, just don't increase the volume beyond 0 when turning it on?

As a disclaimer, I own a few of these and don't mind the beeps

Like you suggest, keeping the volume down when switched on is the only way I've found to do this. I have an email into Btech...we'll see if they have a solution.

Using Chirp, in the basic settings there is a Beep Enable check box. I saw the Roger Beep Enable check box somewhere else in the settings. Basic Settings has all the startup items in it so it may be what you are looking for.

Hmmm...I'll have to check that out again. I remember that box when I was programming it in chirp but seem to remember that it shut off the beeps when you hit the keys or moving through memories.

Well, that was fast...BTECH just answered my question. They said it is not possible but there have been enough people asking about this that they may change it in future Firmware updates. Oh well...it was only $50. I can't complain too much. For the price it's not a bad transceiver.

I actually have the UV-5X3 triband radio but they should almost be identical as far as programming. The two beeps that sound when you first switch on the radio is annoying sometimes. I am going to shoot Btech an email too and see if it's possible. Maybe someone here knows and can preempt their answer.
The "Beep" option box under the "Basic" Settings controls keyboard beeps, as well as the two beeps heard when the radio is first turned on. If you clear this option box you will not hear the beeps, but that also silences all keyboard beeps too.

Back
Top Bottom