Is there a special LTC process if you live on base?

milktree

NES Member
One of my students lives on base at Hanscom,

Are there different rules for where she applies for her LTC?

Did your student change her address of record to the address at Hanscom? If not, what is her address of record? Like, when I was in, I was stationed at Fort Bragg, NC, but my address of record was my mother's house in MA, so for all intents and purposes, my address was still MA even though I was living in NC. Hope that's helpful.

Found this article that may help:

-chris

If her address is in mass she can probably get an LTC through Lexington ma police.

As far as having fire arms in base.....every post commander has their own policy. She'd have to check with her chain of command.

Did your student change her address of record to the address at Hanscom? If not, what is her address of record? Like, when I was in, I was stationed at Fort Bragg, NC, but my address of record was my mother's house in MA, so for all intents and purposes, my address was still MA even though I was living in NC.

I don't know, but I expect she did. She's not military, but a contractor, and used to live overseas (on base there, too)

Found this article that may help:

Huh... so I assume (and you know what they about assuming) she doesn't have a home of record, and state of legal residence is Mass.

Now that I'm thinking about it better (with more input) it's clear that Lexington would be the place to apply, because the military can't issue LTCs (or equivalent) to contractors.

That would suggest that she should apply for an LTC with Lexington PD. Or is it Bedford PD? Or Lincoln? Or Concord?

That still leaves storage, but that's stage 2.

Dunno man, seems like a can of worms there, from Wiki:

"Hanscom Air Force Base is a United States Air Force base located predominantly within Bedford, Massachusetts, with portions extending into the adjoining towns of Lincoln, Concord and Lexington. "

Does she have a Mass driver's license? I'd think she'd need that at least to get the process started and that should have an address associated with it.

-chris

Dunno man, seems like a can of worms there, from Wiki:

"Hanscom Air Force Base is a United States Air Force base located predominantly within Bedford, Massachusetts, with portions extending into the adjoining towns of Lincoln, Concord and Lexington. "

Does she have a Mass driver's license? I'd think she'd need that at least to get the process started and that should have an address associated with it.

Good point! I'll pass that on.

If she has established residency by obtaining a drivers license, paying state income taxes, registering to vote, etc. then her listed town is probably the place to state. (Guessing Bedford)
If she is a non-resident then she starts with DCJ in Chelsea.

I would expect that her PCS orders is all he would need for residency.

I would suggest she stops in to the PD and asks. I’m sure he isn’t the first.

She also needs to review the commands policy on weapons.

Bob

Seems odd that a contractor lives on base- contractors (and civilian government employees) don't normally get base housing, unless they are on an overseas base.
The air Force has downsized substantially over the last 10 years. There is plenty of unused housing on air bases. In fact hanscom has offered base housing to reservists the last few years. It's not free....because they are not active duty......but I know a couple of national guard soldiers that have lived on hanscom base housing. I'm sure they'd offer it to contractors as well.

I would expect that her PCS orders is all he would need for residency.

I would suggest she stops in to the PD and asks. I’m sure he isn’t the first.

She also needs to review the commands policy on weapons.

Bob
He said she's a contractor not military.

Contractors don't get the same exemptions as military, so if she's residing there she should have her MA DL, MA car tags, and all the other things that establish residency.

The air Force has downsized substantially over the last 10 years. There is plenty of unused housing on air bases. In fact hanscom has offered base housing to reservists the last few years. It's not free....because they are not active duty......but I know a couple of national guard soldiers that have lived on hanscom base housing. I'm sure they'd offer it to contractors as well.
Base Housing is now managed under a civilian contractor for DOD and has a list of priority starting with active duty and going all they way to civilians. The residents now pay rent with their BAH.

Buddy of mine is the CoP on Hanscom PD, retired SGM. PM me if you need any assistance from that angle, but LTC’s are obv not issued by them.

Base Housing is now managed under a civilian contractor for DOD and has a list of priority starting with active duty and going all they way to civilians. The residents now pay rent with their BAH.
Gone are the days when the military took care of itself......it's mostly contractors now for installation support. My uncle did 27 years in the USAF and the last 20 of it was installation support. Mostly grounds keeping and such. He loved it. He retired in the late 80s though and ended up working for a contractor at Little Rock for a few years after he retired from active duty.......doing basically the same job he did the day he retired......managing the groundskeeping.

What’s she got?
Gate guards can and will randomly search the car going through, but unless they find something to generate an arrest (drugs, active warrant, etc) they can’t search the driver’s person.
If it’s only a handgun, concealed is concealed. If several or a long gun, then you need to pay attention to rules

What’s she got?
Gate guards can and will randomly search the car going through, but unless they find something to generate an arrest (drugs, active warrant, etc) they can’t search the driver’s person.
If it’s only a handgun, concealed is concealed. If several or a long gun, then you need to pay attention to rules
Don't believe that for a second, your on a military installation with a whole set of different rules.

Back
Top Bottom