Is there a setting to suppress auto-play of media / audio clips?

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I love the funny pics thread. I really do. I loathe the auto start bug where clips play without being told to. If I want to see a video, hear the noise I want to click on it and THEN see/hear it. I can't stand scrolling through the page and random clips that scrolled past start blaring out the speakers. I have to keep the sound off on the computer, ESPECIALLY if I'm in a conference call, only then I can't hear the other people on the call!

This is really impacting my life.

I'm hoping there is some setting I simply missed where I can prevent the auto-play disease.

So... is there?

jek

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
are you referring to NES? If so, I don't have that issue. I don't recall setting something in NES to stop it, maybe a computer setting?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
On Windows 10, if you go to Settings --> Advanced, you can shut off Adobe Flash, then set Media Autoplay to "Block", and that should do it.

Last edited:

Quite_Exasperated

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Happens on ipad too...thanks for raising, I thought I was just retahded. I have to refresh the page at each new post and then quickly scroll to what I wanted to see before it plays..pita but was totally worth seeing the clip in the “think before you buy 10,000 rounds” thread..that was brilliant.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my settings at 50 posts per page. On the Funny thread, that means random crap blasting out my speakers before I've even scrolled down that far. And if it's a Reddit clip, by the time I get to it it's finished and I can't watch it without going to the external site.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds like 1) I'm not the only one and 2) there's a solution.

Well, I'm using Brave on the desktop, no sign of that setting. I then discovered an extension "AutoplayStopper" that seems to have helped. At least one video randomly did launch, but at least it was a silent one.

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It does it on my WinPC and Android phone. I detest this "feature". On some pages I've had 3 things playing their audio at the same time[angry2]

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
The concern seems to come and go, too. Almost if the poster is posting from a work PC, then a personal laptop, or phone. Or some other variation.

There was a nice a nice respite from it for a while. "just when you think the autoplay stops you hear voices from beyond your current post" [devil]+[laugh] (evil laugh)

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I keep my audio muted at all times because of this.... An add on software to prevent auto-play would be worth a few bucks to me. Guess I'll have to Google it cause I'm sure there's one out there already.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Weird. I’ve never noticed this to be an issue for me... on the computer or my phone. My phone is always on vibrate or silent so random sounds aren’t usually heard.

I thought you were a “computer guy”, @namedpipes . Figure it out yourself 🤣
Computers? They suck. I don't even own one

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I keep my audio muted at all times because of this.... An add on software to prevent auto-play would be worth a few bucks to me. Guess I'll have to Google it cause I'm sure there's one out there already.
I added "AutoplayStopper" since the start of this thread and it "almost" always works. I haven't tried to map out the conditions where it does not, yet.

Top Bottom