• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is there a policy on target size in mass?

As far as I know you just can't shoot pictures of people. Otherwise just about any target is kosher. I wouldn't be surprised if they were working on a target ban, its just about the only thing they haven't tried yet.

As far as I know you just can't shoot pictures of people. Otherwise just about any target is kosher. I wouldn't be surprised if they were working on a target ban, its just about the only thing they haven't tried yet.

No, this law applies only to gun clubs that have a gun club LTC. Only one club in MA does.

class a club license.

MGL Chapter 140: Section 131 said:
The colonel of state police may, after an investigation, grant a Class A license to a club or facility with an on-site shooting range or gallery, which club is incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth for the possession, storage and use of large capacity weapons, ammunition therefor and large capacity feeding devices for use with such weapons on the premises of such club; provided, however, that not less than one shareholder of such club shall be qualified and suitable to be issued such license; and provided further, that such large capacity weapons and ammunition feeding devices may be used under such Class A club license only by such members that possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B or a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or by such other persons that the club permits while under the direct supervision of a certified firearms safety instructor or club member who, in the case of a large capacity firearm, possesses a valid Class A license to carry firearms or, in the case of a large capacity rifle or shotgun, possesses a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms. Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties.....

Some ranges do have a minimum size, such as Manchester Firing Line. If you walk in there with 9" targets, you need to hang it on one of the bigger ones. I assume this is to save the target hangers from getting shot. With a 9" target, the bullseye is only 4" away from metal.

My wife keeps telling me that size doesn't matter.....

And they sell the B27/B29 targets right there. I'm sure that they mean no pictures of political people, as that could bring heat down their necks.
from what i have heard, our gun club does have hillary clinton urinal cakes in the men's room at least [laugh]

And they sell the B27/B29 targets right there. I'm sure that they mean no pictures of political people, as that could bring heat down their necks.

Right, that's what I thought the law was referring too. Does that mean that the clubs with an LTC cannot allow even silhouette targets?

Ouch.

I have seen the neutered human targets thats are headless in mass.

Went to the Manchester Firing Line on Monday. They have a minium target size of 11x11 and a rule of no shooting at the head on silouette. These rules exist to stop you from shooting out the target carriers. Which when you hang a silouette you really only have a few inches of clearance between the center of the face and the clamp. Perfectly understandable. I buy a large target and then just stick the shoot n c targets to it. If you blow a big hole through it, just stick another over it. Was able to make 1 paper target last 400rnds this way.

I would do the same at any range in mass. Use a larger target and stick the smaller one to it. Its all about protecting the facilities.

Right, that's what I thought the law was referring too. Does that mean that the clubs with an LTC cannot allow even silhouette targets?

Ouch.

Correct! And although there is a LE exemption, that's why MPTC went "PC" and converted to milk bottle (Q) targets. Made me want to barf when I qualified with them back in 2000 . . . we had always used the B27 before that law got passed in 1998.

AFS has a big sign up saying it is illegal to shoot targets depicting humans, yet they don't have a Club LTCA IIRC

I was shooting some cardboard silhouettes at Winchendon R&G last year, when a member came down to the line. He told me that it was against the law in MA to have a head on the target, and that if the Winchendon police drove through and saw them, I'd be subject to fine. AFAIK Winchendon does not have a club LTC, but he was adamant that he was right.

I could see some of the towns finest flexing their muscles on something stupid like this. After all it is a RED town.

It seems that the other clubs in the area state that you can't use human image targets.

Tewksbury R&G told me this when I joined......maybe they want to be extra careful and

not tick off the state.......

I was shooting some cardboard silhouettes at Winchendon R&G last year, when a member came down to the line. He told me that it was against the law in MA to have a head on the target, and that if the Winchendon police drove through and saw them, I'd be subject to fine. AFAIK Winchendon does not have a club LTC, but he was adamant that he was right.

I could see some of the towns finest flexing their muscles on something stupid like this. After all it is a RED town.

couple of these stories sound like someone is telling you guys a tale. far as i know there's no laws about it, but i don't know much. ranges usually won't let you shoot at photographs of people, though, as it is in rather poor taste.

but a ban on silhouettes? have 'em recite the law.

Oh, I know he was pumping me full of BS, but obviously someone was feeding him the same. I don't want to cause problems where I shoot, so I just uh-huh'd him to death. The PD in this town very well may give me grief, but show me a law and then I'll listen.

Back
Top Bottom