• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is the WTB forum pointless?

It's a free way to look, so no harm there. I've both posted there and found potential buyers there, although have never personally completed a deal through it. So, pointless? No, I don't think so. Super useful? Nah...

only posted once or twice, no replies. but oddly, i have noticed on more than a few occasions, that when something goes up for sale, in a few hours a wtb post pops up for the same thing. it happens often enough for me to take notice and wonder if it's coincidence or not, just someone trolling for a cheap buy from someone who wants to sell quickly and will offer to sell cheaper than advertised.

It only works if you included "cash buyer" or "cash in hand". Apparently that separates you from the other buyers that pay with trinkets or sea shells.

No kidding to this part. I'm not immediately opposed to a trade per se, only as firearms for firearms with cash on one side or the other. But when I sold my Hudson H9 I literally had a guy offer me a Makarov, 200 rounds of 9mm Largo and 4 rims/tires to 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
To answer the OP though, I have found a buyer through the WTB once (don't sell guns often, do a lot more of the buying) but I am 0 for 3 with my own personal WTB posts

Worked for me looking for a single stage press. I also put a copy of the link in my signature so it is seen wherever I post.

I've seen posts appear in WTB and then suddenly an item appears in WTS. Seems to give those a nudge who are thinking about selling something to actually post it and sell it.

I have never posted in WTB but it seems a good tool if someone is looking for something specific.

I check them out once a week or so and the ads usually are vague, with the exception of the actual item the person is interested in. By "vague" I mean: no price range mentioned, no location mentioned, no payment method mentioned, etc.

While we're on the subject, I think that any and every classified ad on this site should include the city of town the item is located. Vague = North Shore, South Shore, the Cape, Metrowest, etc. some items aren't worth the drive! Vague = probably a hassle, so all those ads I disregard.

I have never posted in WTB but it seems a good tool if someone is looking for something specific.

Definitely. Typically a WTB forum would be for people who can’t find something on the market; here it tends to be for people who just don’t want to pay market prices.

After my experiences there I won’t answer another WTB ad that doesn’t list a target price.

It only works if you included "cash buyer" or "cash in hand". Apparently that separates you from the other buyers that pay with trinkets or sea shells.

Racist! What's wrong with the color of my wampum?!

Is there a forum to find hoarders that want to acquire stuff that's too good (or too antique) to feel good about trashing but not really good enough (or useful enough) to keep in daily use? Because I have tons of stuff for you!

Back
Top Bottom