Is the very young deer sick? Look at the lungs and liver

CAESAR

NES Member
Not Massachusetts.
All the rest including heart looks good
The lungs have those greenish spots.....
The liver also has something bit strange to me
Am I overreacting?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20221122_092820.jpg
    20221122_092820.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 113
  • 20221122_092808.jpg
    20221122_092808.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 20221122_093304.jpg
    20221122_093304.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 110
  • 20221122_093303.jpg
    20221122_093303.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20221122_093259.jpg
    20221122_093259.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 106
  • 20221122_092827.jpg
    20221122_092827.jpg
    824.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I would contact Mass Wildlife and ask. They may want a sample, etc.

Maybe:

Liver flukes cause the black spots in deer liver. In an early stage of liver fluke infestation, the small flukes travel through the liver, leaving a trail that appears as black spots.

When the flukes grow, they create fibrous yellow-grey cysts oozing dark brown liquid.

Maybe:

Liver flukes cause the black spots in deer liver. In an early stage of liver fluke infestation, the small flukes travel through the liver, leaving a trail that appears as black spots.

When the flukes grow, they create fibrous yellow-grey cysts oozing dark brown liquid.

I agree with PBM. Contact a biologist to see what they say. I wouldn't eat it without contacting a biologist to get an answer.

Did the inside of the rib cage look normal. I would be worried about TB. Liver flukes wouldn’t bother me.

Maybe:

It's the lungs. Not liver

Lungs look like the deer has been in a coal mine or something black spotting/mottling i've never seen before.

The liver looks a little off/ light in color.

I don't eat organs of deer, except the heart...........the liver is a filter for bad things.

I wouldn't eat that deers heart because of the lungs.

Another question. The liver and heart was put with another deer (healthy) in same bag. Then it was in fridge for 5 hours. If it IS tuberculosis, can I eat the other deers heart and liver (after spending 5 hours with the sick deers organs)?

Lungs look like the deer has been in a coal mine or something black spotting/mottling i've never seen before.

The liver looks a little off/ light in color.

I don't eat organs of deer, except the heart...........the liver is a filter for bad things.

I wouldn't eat that deers heart because of the lungs.

especially given how prevalent cadmium is in the deer of the Northeast.

Another question. The liver and heart was put with another deer (healthy) in same bag. Then it was in fridge for 5 hours. If it IS tuberculosis, can I eat the other deers heart and liver (after spending 5 hours with the sick deers organs)?

I wouldn’t eat any of it, or anything it came in contact with until I knew for sure that it didn’t have TB. This doesn’t look like classic TB but I would be concerned if might be early TB.

You can try to post it over on the CT Bowsite forum. IIRC there is a deer biologist on there.

Bob

May be worth trying to contact the state veterinarian. They may be able to help. The state has a huge testing facility.

Something looks off with the organs
I wouldn’t eat them but I would not be concerned with eating the meat properly cooked

I'm not usually one to be picky about food, as my waist will attest.

I wouldn't eat it. I'd dump the whole deer. I know it's a loss of good meat, but if you can afford to hunt, you can afford meat that won't make you sick. I've yet to connect on a deer, so if I opened one up that looked like this, I'd just get out my recipe for tag soup and be happy that I got to put one down.

in japan, they eat funky looking fish entrails with endless abandon. i did see them refuse salmon sushi that was loaded with parasites, but had no issue once it was cooked and it stopped being sushi.

Always heard if there’s spotted liver to leave it be and keep moving.

If anyone is interested, mystery solved. It is not only healthy deer, but very good eating one. It's (the lungs) from drinking milk. Not weaned yet. When hit with hot 308.... the blood vessels blew (the spots are not really greenish - my imagination.... they are red). And no, its not in MA.

Back
Top Bottom