Is the revolver inherently more reliable than the modern semi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't stand the idea of not cleaning a gun after shooting it. I will also clean a gun if I just touch it more than a few times. I also clean it every Friday or Saturday or Sunday if I'm carrying, but I haven't been shooting. Not talking a total takedown, just a wipe off of old oil/sweat/dirt/pocket fuzz then a re-oiling of the internals and externals. Some people think doing so is blasphemy.

You're probably new. 10 years from now if you actually shoot enough you'll leave most of that crap in the past. Eventually the novelty of that wears off.

-Mike

Last edited:
Sitting here thinking about all the stoppages in the past, I would be here far too long listing them[laugh]

Your gun is broken you should probably send it in and get it fixed. It takes about 2700 rounds before my G34 will even think about barfing. I could probably stretch it out more simply by wiping the crud off ramp and putting a spot of lube on the gun every 1000 rounds... [laugh]

-Mike

Seems better now- no fail to feeds over the last ~200 rounds. My best guess was that it was the same mag causing it to gag- they all look alike but one seemed to have some molding 'artifacts' around the lips and was likely the root of my reason to take a jab at the Glock fanboyz. But... It's a system and even if one mag is the problem- that's a failure point you won't have from a revolver. [smile]

Funny that all the tweaks I made did not affect its function. Actually, I have not had any problems since installing the light springs, 'race' connector, and polished trigger group and striker parts. As mentioned, it's a range toy so I'll give it a go before considering sending it back. Besides, it would be a PITA to put back in stock form & how else can I deflate the Glock worship?

Seems better now- no fail to feeds over the last ~200 rounds. My best guess was that it was the same mag causing it to gag- they all look alike but one seemed to have some molding 'artifacts' around the lips and was likely the root of my reason to take a jab at the Glock fanboyz. But... It's a system and even if one mag is the problem- that's a failure point you won't have from a revolver. [smile] Funny that all the tweaks I made did not affect its function. Actually, I have not had any problems since installing the light springs, 'race' connector, and polished trigger group and striker parts. As mentioned, it's a range toy so I'll give it a go before considering sending it back. Besides, it would be a PITA to put back in stock form & how else can I deflate the Glock worship?

Number your mags. That way you know if one is bad and you can fix it or toss it.

You're probably new. 10 years from now if you actually shoot enough you'll leave most of that crap in the past. Eventually the novelty of that wears off. -Mike

I think I cleaned my Glocks last year, but I can't remember. I'll clean them at least once this year, whether they need it or not.

Does Glock still void warranty if you shoot reloads?

Sorry for asking, I looked it up and your warranty is void if you shoot reloads.

Last edited:
Does Glock still void warranty if you shoot reloads? Sorry for asking, I looked it up and your warranty is void if you shoot reloads.

Pretty much all I shoot is reloads. They work fine. Stay away from bare lead. Most all manufacturers don't warranty use with reloads. Glock isn't unique in that way. A friend mine had a revolver that a friend of his blew up with an overcharged reload. That fellow sent it back to S&W, who returned it to him unfixed, with smiley face on a piece of paper.

Pretty much all I shoot is reloads. They work fine. Stay away from bare lead. Most all manufacturers don't warranty use with reloads. Glock isn't unique in that way. A friend mine had a revolver that a friend of his blew up with an overcharged reload. That fellow sent it back to S&W, who returned it to him unfixed, with smiley face on a piece of paper.

I have been carrying a 29 glock for some time and it's far easier to practice with my reloaded ammo. Just wondered if they still void warranty over it. Lots of commercially loaded reloads out here sold to the public too. Can't get good if you don't shoot alot.

You're probably new. 10 years from now if you actually shoot enough you'll leave most of that crap in the past. Eventually the novelty of that wears off.

-Mike
You told me the same thing a few years ago when I was cleaning guns after every range trip. Now I'm struggling to remember the last time I cleaned some of my guns, especially the Glock.

I always wipe down a gun after taking out for a shoot (I love the Tetragun pre-oiled wipes from Four Seasons for this), but I am no longer concerned with field stripping and cleaning every gun every time, since I don't shooting anything using pre-Columbian corrosive ammo.

Does Glock still void warranty if you shoot reloads?

Sorry for asking, I looked it up and your warranty is void if you shoot reloads.

Every manufacturer voids on reloads, somewhat of a worthless qualifier, considering most guns submitted for service aren't blown up... not even .40 cal glocks lol

You told me the same thing a few years ago when I was cleaning guns after every range trip. Now I'm struggling to remember the last time I cleaned some of my guns, especially the Glock.

I will up the maint on carry guns (usually clean those after every couple live fire sessions) but anything outside of that qualiifier... usually gets pretty gunked up before i clean it.

Every manufacturer voids on reloads, somewhat of a worthless qualifier, considering most guns submitted for service aren't blown up... not even .40 cal glocks lol

I would really like to see a blow up test done by the factory, have seen plenty of blown up glocks on the net but who knows what was in the gun..

More guns have been ruined by cleaning than by neglect.

Guy died in Portland and his wife asked a friend to come get his guns and sell them for her. Guy was a collector and stored his guns in the garage attic. Had ruger number ones laying in their boxs and when he opened the box the guns look beautiful because they were unfired nib. Picked one up and the other side was total rust, had to pound open the action to see a total pitted bore. Man neglected brand new guns to the point of them being sold for parts. I was at the gunshow when he brought them in to sell.

I think if cleaning guns was really damaging the military wouldn't let the troops clean their guns. What ruins a gun is not knowing how to clean it and what tools to use. Guys who shoot a lot of lead tend to damage the gun getting it out of the barrel.

-Mike

I always wipe down a gun after taking out for a shoot (I love the Tetragun pre-oiled wipes from Four Seasons for this), but I am no longer concerned with field stripping and cleaning every gun every time, since I don't shooting anything using pre-Columbian corrosive ammo.

I'm planning on getting into black powder, so I'll be shooting the old school stuff eventually and will probably not change my cleaning habits. People carry these around at BPCR shoots:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Blow_Tubes_pr-3792.aspx

http://www.bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2409

It's really a myth, though I suppose decades back it may have been true. I don't really know much about 1911's or other older designs, though.

Today, you can buy a Springfield XD pistol and expect it to eat everything you run through (even with a measure of abuse). I would rate older Generation Glocks in that category, too. CZ's have a very well-respected, highly reliable design, too.

Plus, with a little training and practice (tap, rack, bang) you can quickly address any issues that might arise. Even a revolver can have mechanical issues.

The benefit of high capacity and high reliability make pistols the proper choice today in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

I will up the maint on carry guns (usually clean those after every couple live fire sessions) but anything outside of that qualiifier... usually gets pretty gunked up before i clean it.

I tend to agree.

If we're talking about just the gun, then a revolver is not more reliable than a semi auto. A K-frame S&W has something like 88 parts, and the G-17 has 35. I'll take the MTBF on the Glock every time.

If you look at the shooter, firearm, and ammo together as a system, then it's debatable. Of these three, the firearm is the most reliable item, followed (maybe) by the shooter, and the weak link is the ammo.

Grab a handgun and a bunch of ammo and start shooting, and you are far more likely to have a round fail to fire before the gun breaks.

After a misfire, to get a revolver back in the fight you just pull the trigger again. If someone is shooting back at you, pulling the trigger again is as near to an automatic reaction as you're going to get.

With a semi auto, you need to have trained enough to make tap-rack-bang as automatic/second nature as a second trigger pull. If not, the revolver-based system is more reliable than the semi-auto based system.

Or we could look at who is best in the world with a revolver compared to who is best with an auto, in the games the autos come in first the most often but is it a fair comparison? Would it be better to compare auto vs revolver in novice hands or new shooter hands to get a better look?

Grab a S&W revolver and, to keep it fair, an M&P. Take both completely apart and re-assemble. It will be obvious which is more complex. Complexity is not the same as reliability, but revolvers are not mechanically simple. They are operationally simple.

Jus' sayin'

... I present the following for intelligent discussion-

Make Up Your Mind Monday: Do Loaded Magazines Wear Out Magazine Springs?

I've never understood the fascination with magazine springs, as if those are the only springs in a firearm.

Last time I checked, revolvers have springs, too.

I don't often worry about the lifetime of magazine springs,
but when I do I'm not taking advice from someone who can
write a whole article on the topic
without betraying the slightest clue
he can distinguish compression from tension.
tension-compression.gif

No, really. Read it again...

Chances of a failure to fire for either a revolver or a autoloader if the operator has maintained and performed all functions correct up to the point of pulling the trigger are probably about as small as hitting powerball. If either should fail though, (and you are still alive) with the revolver you can just pull the trigger again to attempt to fire unless it is SAO, whereas a semi would probably require other actions, at least pulling the slide back...

If either should fail though, (and you are still alive) with the revolver you can just pull the trigger again to attempt to fire unless it is SAO, whereas a semi would probably require other actions, at least pulling the slide back...
Should they not fail, however, the semi offers far greater capacity, i.e. more chances to stay in the fight and prevail. Also, if a semi fails, it can be fixed quickly; if a revolver fails, you're out of the fight.

Should they not fail, however, the semi offers far greater capacity, i.e. more chances to stay in the fight and prevail. Also, if a semi fails, it can be fixed quickly; if a revolver fails, you're out of the fight.

If you need more than 5 or 6 shots you are in over your head.

If you need more than 5 or 6 shots you are in over your head.
FUDD post of the day award goes to you. No one has ever come out of a gun fight wishing they had brought less ammo.

FUDD post of the day award goes to you. No one has ever come out of a gun fight wishing they had brought less ammo.

Years ago the revolver was the king and we all lived, thanks for a comment from the small dick crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom