Is the revolver inherently more reliable than the modern semi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Modes of faliure:

1. Fail to feed / fail to index if revolver
2. Fail to fire / light primer strike
3. Fail to eject / stovepipe etc.

Maybe I'm missing something, but that's pretty much what can happen. I have never had a quality revolver in proper condition have any of the above issues. I have experienced a low end revolver have trouble indexing. Even if a round is a complete dud, feeding the next round will always happen with a decent revolver. I've seen plenty of issues with autos, even a new Glock.

Regardless, for ability to conceal and capacity, I carry autos. However, if I need a backup for hunting in brown bear country & my life could depend on it, I'll carry a revolver even if caliber were not the issue.

FUDD post of the day award goes to you. No one has ever come out of a gun fight wishing they had brought less ammo.

This place has been crawling with shills for years now. They're Obama's Cyber Corps of internet trolls.

Years ago the revolver was the king and we all lived, thanks for a comment from the small dick crowd.
Is there a reason you're so concerned with my private parts that you can't be bothered to address the issue in question (i.e. capacity)?

Is there a reason you're so concerned with my private parts that you can't be bothered to address the issue in question (i.e. capacity)?

My daily carry is a Colt Defender and have no need for a 14 round clip. If you cant defend yourself in the first few shots you are in over your head. Check the stats and let me know what you find.

My daily carry is a Colt Defender...
Mine is a Ruger LCR (because I need to be discreet) but I have no illusions about its advantages as well as limitations.

...and have no need for a 14 round clip.
Magazine.

If you cant defend yourself in the first few shots you are in over your head. Check the stats and let me know what you find.
I carry for the stakes, not for the odds. If I relied on statistical likelihoods, I wouldn't carry at all. Like I said, no one has ever come out of a gunfight wishing they had brought fewer rounds, but some sure have wished they'd brought more.

Mine is a Ruger LCR (because I need to be discreet) but I have no illusions about its advantages as well as limitations.

Magazine.

I carry for the stakes, not for the odds. If I relied on statistical likelihoods, I wouldn't carry at all. Like I said, no one has ever come out of a gunfight wishing they had brought fewer rounds, but some sure have wished they'd brought more.

I am happy with what I carry and I guess you are too, thank you.

I am happy with what I carry and I guess you are too, thank you.
If you think five rounds is plenty, more power to you - carry whatever you want. But don't try to pretend like more isn't better.

Right now I'm carrying a Glock. The only times I carry the LCR is at work when I can't conceal the Glock, so 5 rounds is better than 0. A snubnose revolver has some advantages, but it's lack of capacity is a big limitation.

Last edited:
Retard level for this thread: FULL.

How about this logic: "When I carry a Glock 19 I just load 6 rounds. What's the point of more?" I want the less-is-enough argument supporters to agree with this and then we can all be done with it.

How about this logic: "When I carry a Glock 19 I just load 6 rounds. What's the point of more?" I want the less-is-enough argument supporters to agree with this and then we can all be done with it.

Doesn't work that way unless you're comparing a .38 Special with a 9x19 Glock. There's no denying the fact that .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum and .44 Magnum are more powerful than 9x19, .40S&W and .45ACP. Carrying a special loading like say .38 Special or a .44 Special is the same power level as 9x19 and .45ACP, so no, 6 versus 17 or 6 versus 8 doesn't make much sense.

Until someone develops a .44 Auto Mag for concealed carry or is willing to carry a 10mm Auto pocket pistol though or a Coonan .357 1911, revolvers that hold fewer rounds can be more potent than semi autos. People argue back and forth about 9x19 being enough gun. There isn't much argument about a .357 Magnum.

Until someone develops a .44 Auto Mag for concealed carry or is willing to carry a 10mm Auto pocket pistol though or a Coonan .357 1911, revolvers that hold fewer rounds can be more potent than semi autos. People argue back and forth about 9x19 being enough gun. There isn't much argument about a .357 Magnum.[/QUOTE]

9mil para is just fine, but your target is falling forward unless you shoot them multiple times. And then you are talking penetration and wherever the heck else that round wants to go. There is no question the target is going back with .357 .44, or 45acp for that matter. of course, 45acp is the only commonly chambered autoloader caliber.

problem with your diahareah of the mouth statement here is it is too black and white. Its not that simple......i carry a 5 shot 357 magnum not because "5 is enough".....i carry it because 5 rounds fit in:

1 a frame that is easily concealed

2 a gun with a very simple manual of arms that i feel confident with under stress

3 i shoot it very well

4 the carteridge is powerful (yeah waaaay more powerful than 9mm)

if that frame fit 7 8 9 or 10 rounds id load it to capacity but to me after considering many factors the pros outweigh the cons in favor of a 5 shot snub.

Sorry but your g19 loaded with 6 cuz its "enough" is probably one of the least intelligent....worst thought out statement ive seen on nes in like....forever.

Last edited:
Doesn't work that way unless you're comparing a .38 Special with a 9x19 Glock. There's no denying the fact that .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum and .44 Magnum are more powerful than 9x19, .40S&W and .45ACP.
Not really... Handgun stopping power is a silly myth.

Carrying a special loading like say .38 Special or a .44 Special is the same power level as 9x19 and .45ACP, so no, 6 versus 17 or 6 versus 8 doesn't make much sense.
If .38 Special is the same as 9mm, then why isn't more better???

Until someone develops a .44 Auto Mag for concealed carry or is willing to carry a 10mm Auto pocket pistol though or a Coonan .357 1911, revolvers that hold fewer rounds can be more potent than semi autos. People argue back and forth about 9x19 being enough gun. There isn't much argument about a .357 Magnum.
No.

9mil para is just fine, but your target is falling forward unless you shoot them multiple times. And then you are talking penetration and wherever the heck else that round wants to go.
What? I don't even....

There is no question the target is going back with .357 .44, or 45acp for that matter. of course, 45acp is the only commonly chambered autoloader caliber.
Sorry, but this is horse dung. This is nothing more than the usual "stopping power" mythology, which is not in any way backed up by physics or real-world documented results. Please don't turn this into a caliber war thread.

Years ago the revolver was the king and we all lived, thanks for a comment from the small dick crowd.
I am kind of with RHjJ here. If 5 shots isn't enough to get me to a semi auto plus reloads for my j frame plus spare mags plus escape options: I'm going to be in a situation where having 5 Vs 7 probably won't make much difference.

I'm really happy and confident in that 5. And actively fight to ensure I'm not further away from an additional 25+5+5.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

No.

What? I don't even....

Sorry, but this is horse dung. This is nothing more than the usual "stopping power" mythology, which is not in any way backed up by physics or real-world documented results. Please don't turn this into a caliber war thread.

It's very simple. Extremely simple. The .38 Special is relatively comparable to 9x19. They're both service cartridges and have similar bullet sizes, velocities and energy. Therefore, comparing a S&W Model 10 with any 9x19 semi auto pistol simply will give the win to the 9x19. There's a reason why the Model 10 is now in the "Legacy" collection and not a hot seller.

Handgun stopping power isn't a myth. If you handgun hunt, you're going to start at .357 Magnum and then work your way up to 10mm Auto or .41 Magnum or .44 Magnum. Hunting is about cleanly and "humanely" harvesting an animal. No one hunts with a 9x19. It's not even legal because it's disqualified in some places because it's a .355" bullet and a .357 is a .357".

If you deny the fact that a magnum revolver cartridge is more power than a cartridge like 9x19 or .38 Special, then... I honestly don't know what to tell you besides to sit down and do some serious research.

It's very simple. Extremely simple. The .38 Special is relatively comparable to 9x19. They're both service cartridges and have similar bullet sizes, velocities and energy. Therefore, comparing a S&W Model 10 with any 9x19 semi auto pistol simply will give the win to the 9x19. There's a reason why the Model 10 is now in the "Legacy" collection and not a hot seller.

Handgun stopping power isn't a myth. If you handgun hunt, you're going to start at .357 Magnum and then work your way up to 10mm Auto or .41 Magnum or .44 Magnum. Hunting is about cleanly and "humanely" harvesting an animal. No one hunts with a 9x19. It's not even legal because it's disqualified in some places because it's a .355" bullet and a .357 is a .357".

If you deny the fact that a magnum revolver cartridge is more power than a cartridge like 9x19 or .38 Special, then... I honestly don't know what to tell you besides to sit down and do some serious research.
Beat me to it. There is a reason bear defense handguns in Alaska are not g19s!

I am kind of with RHjJ here. If 5 shots isn't enough to get me to a semi auto plus reloads for my j frame plus spare mags plus escape options: I'm going to be in a situation where having 5 Vs 7 probably won't make much difference.

I'm really happy and confident in that 5. And actively fight to ensure I'm not further away from an additional 25+5+5.
You get jumped on the street while walking to your car from a restaurant. Your other guns are at home, twelve miles away. Good luck [rofl]

That's my point.

We're not talking about hunting animals. Your post is frighteningly ignorant of ballistics as they relate to self-defense against human beings. But hell, even if I give you that one caliber is significantly more effective than another, that in no way takes away from the fact that 5 vs 15 is a HUGE difference that CANNOT be ignored outright.

You get jumped on the street while walking to your car from a restaurant. Your other guns are at home, twelve miles away. Good luck [rofl]

That's my point.

We're not talking about hunting animals. Your post is frighteningly ignorant of ballistics as they relate to self-defense against human beings. But hell, even if I give you that one caliber is significantly more effective than another, that in no way takes away from the fact that 5 vs 15 is a HUGE difference that CANNOT be ignored outright.

After you fire 5 shots the game is over you are only hoping to hit a target, your adrenalin is going and all bets are off. More chances of hitting innocent targets. You are shooting in a bad high pressure situation.

Last edited:

That's my point.

You can't compare 5 shot revolvers to 15 shot semi autos. Take my BHP - it has 13 rounds with standard mags and I can get 15 shot mags if I want. It has a 4 5/8" barrel and is a full sized combat pistol. I carry it however because I like it and I wouldn't switch to another gun. But it's a full sized pistol.

A 5 shot revolver is a pocket revolver. A snubbie. Snubbies have 3" or smaller barrels. That's 1 5/8" difference between my BHP and a snubbie if the snubbie has a 3" barrel and not say a 2" one. The snubbie has no magazine, no slide, maybe no exposed hammer and will probably have no snag sights.

Also, why aren't hunting and self defense comparable? Say we're talking deer. A deer is about 150lbs to 200lbs here in New England. So is a human male, with some exceptions for smaller and fatter individuals. You're only going to have 1 good shot in hunting, just like self defense. You may get a few more off, however the first shot is the most important. That's why I don't own a DA/SA pistol anymore. And in hunting, you're going to use a bullet that expands... just like a self defense bullet. Expanding pistol bullets don't usually ex-filtrate the perforated object.

No.

What? I don't even....

Not really a myth. stopping power and penetration vary depending on caliber, and bullet type HP,FN, SWC. Bottom line, into an unprotected torso, a 357 and 45 both makes a bigger permanent cavity than a 9mil with the same bullet type. Which means a larger area of your body is feeling the kinetic energy, and more likely to push you backward. (think about being stabbed with a knife or hit with a 5lb sledge). I'm not saying one is better than the other. But they are different and strike the target differently. And both can fail in a handgun, whether it be a revolver or s/a.

Can we agree that most of the time though the revolver is at least a better weapon of malice?

After you fire 5 shots the game is over you are only hoping to hit a target, your adrenalin is going and all bets are off. More chances of hitting innocent targets.
First you discuss my private parts and now you're an expert on Adrenalin? Where do you get the "five shots" figure? Why not three? Why not ten? Does training change the number at all?

You can't compare 5 shot revolvers to 15 shot semi autos.
Of course not, because I'd rather have 15 rounds than 5!

Take my BHP - it has 13 rounds with standard mags and I can get 15 shot mags if I want. It has a 4 5/8" barrel and is a full sized combat pistol. I carry it however because I like it and I wouldn't switch to another gun. But it's a full sized pistol.

A 5 shot revolver is a pocket revolver. A snubbie. Snubbies have 3" or smaller barrels. That's 1 5/8" difference between my BHP and a snubbie if the snubbie has a 3" barrel and not say a 2" one. The snubbie has no magazine, no slide, maybe no exposed hammer and will probably have no snag sights.
Yes, that's exactly why I carry an LCR five days a week. However, on weekends, when I carry whatever I want, I go for the Glock every single time because more ammo is better.

Also, why aren't hunting and self defense comparable? Say we're talking deer. A deer is about 150lbs to 200lbs here in New England. So is a human male, with some exceptions for smaller and fatter individuals.
Okay, carry a rifle then. [rolleyes]

You're only going to have 1 good shot in hunting, just like self defense.
What? There are a TON of cases where more than one round hits the target. Also, your first shot might miss - don't tell me that you won't wish for more ammo when that happens.

Not really a myth. stopping power and penetration vary depending on caliber, and bullet type HP,FN, SWC. Bottom line, into an unprotected torso, a 357 and 45 both makes a bigger permanent cavity than a 9mil with the same bullet type.
.357 and 9mm are the same size. Nice try.

Which means a larger area of your body is feeling the kinetic energy, and more likely to push you backward.
Literally no handgun round is capable of pushing you over backwards.

First you discuss my private parts and now you're an expert on Adrenalin? Where do you get the "five shots" figure? Why not three? Why not ten? Does training change the number at al

5 or 6 is revolver range and the same as small semis. You seem to be the expert on carring plenty of rounds, too bad your not.

Like I said, I carry a BHP but I'm not going to mock people who carry a .357 Magnum or any magnum revolver. Belittling peoples' gun choices is the mark of a jackass unless the gun is seriously a bad idea, like a Mini 14 or a cap and ball revolver or something so stupid, it's epic. A revolver isn't that off the track. If it works for them, great. Would you get up in Jerry Miculek's grill and confront him about his choice of a .45ACP revolver?

5 or 6 is revolver range and the same as small semis. You seem to be the expert on carring plenty of rounds, too bad your not.
I'm not even going to bother anymore. You can't follow the conversation.

Like I said, I carry a BHP but I'm not going to mock people who carry a .357 Magnum or any magnum revolver. Belittling peoples' gun choices is the mark of a jackass unless the gun is seriously a bad idea, like a Mini 14 or a cap and ball revolver or something so stupid, it's epic. A revolver isn't that off the track. If it works for them, great.
You're missing the point. I am not belittling people that carry small-capacity guns - I carry a five-shot LCR! What I am doing, is pointing out that more bullets is better.

First you discuss my private parts and now you're an expert on Adrenalin? Where do you get the "five shots" figure? Why not three? Why not ten? Does training change the number at all?

Of course not, because I'd rather have 15 rounds than 5!

Yes, that's exactly why I carry an LCR five days a week. However, on weekends, when I carry whatever I want, I go for the Glock every single time because more ammo is better.

Okay, carry a rifle then. [rolleyes]

What? There are a TON of cases where more than one round hits the target. Also, your first shot might miss - don't tell me that you won't wish for more ammo when that happens.

.357 and 9mm are the same size. Nice try.

Literally no handgun round is capable of pushing you over backwards.

.45 is bigger diameter and makes a bigger cavity, and the longer case on the 357 allows for more fps on the same gr bullets, more kinetic energy not to mention a lot of 9mil is actually .355 - .357 usually somewhere in the 115gr to 124gr range at the biggest for weight and a lot of 357mag is actually .358 and anywhere from 110gr all the way up past 150's. I am sure you know this, but instead of telling me I am wrong, why don't tell me what makes you right? Because the math doesn't.

Handgun bullets can knock people backward. That is not a debate.
But let's get back to what is important.
In the event of a failure to fire, which would be better as a melee weapon, the revolver or the pistol?

I'm not even going to bother anymore. You can't follow the conversation.

You're missing the point. I am not belittling people that carry small-capacity guns - I carry a five-shot LCR! What I am doing, is pointing out that more bullets is better.

I'm not missing the point, I just think it could be put a little more clearly.

More ammo is better. Agreed.
Some cartridges are more powerful than others. Agreed.
Smaller capacity guns are smaller guns on average. Agreed.

The difference in point of view is whether or not more powerful ammo cancels out capacity. I think it does in some situations. Mr. Ayoob or someone once wrote that in his time as a cop, doctors could never tell the difference between the pistol calibers made in people who were shot and brought to the ER. However it should be noted that most ghetto/criminal shootings take place with crappy guns like a Jennings with small calibers like .380ACP, .32ACP, .25ACP or .38 Special or some .32 revolver.

You're also ignoring the fact that except for pre-ban mags, you're not going to have mags greater than 10 shots in Mass everywhere and readily available. You're probably not going to see many more-than-10 shot guns being carried in Connecticut either. So if someone goes into a Mass or CT gunshop and buys a pistol, they're going to probably have a 10-shot mag, not 15 or 17, unless they know about pre-ban mags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom