Is Property Legal to Carry On.

I work as a building manager in the City of Boston. I carry to work but leave the firearm secured in lockbox in the car in the parking garage. I do this because there is a Childcare Center located on the property that I work on and I don't know if it is legal to carry on the property. Idealy I would like to lock it up in a lockbox in my office. The law states that it is illegal to possess a firearm on any elementary, secondary schools, and colleges and universities. I don't know if that includes child care centers and do not want to risk getting caught in a legal loop hole. Any thoughts or knowledge of this subject would be greatly appreciated.

IANAL. It would appear to me that a child care center is not an elementary school.

+1, child care wouldn't be considered a school. Remember, concealed is concealed. (Not advocating you do anything illegal)

I work as a building manager in the City of Boston. I carry to work but leave the firearm secured in lockbox in the car in the parking garage. I do this because there is a Childcare Center located on the property that I work on and I don't know if it is legal to carry on the property. Idealy I would like to lock it up in a lockbox in my office. The law states that it is illegal to possess a firearm on any elementary, secondary schools, and colleges and universities. I don't know if that includes child care centers and do not want to risk getting caught in a legal loop hole. Any thoughts or knowledge of this subject would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, you should find out from the building's owners if the carrying/possession of firearms is allowed. Unless, of course, you are the owner/manager but from the tone of your post, you seem to be an employee rather than an owner. Locking the firearm in a vehicle in the parking garage (I assume it is a public garage) is not a good idea. If your car gets stolen or broken into, you will have to report the theft of a firearm to the police, raising the "suitability" question. Some chiefs will immediately revoke your LTC for this reason.

First of all, you should find out from the building's owners if the carrying/possession of firearms is allowed.
Immaterial in MA. Even if the building owners posted "no guns" signs, such signs have no legal force in MA. Furthermore, that is generally a question that you don't want to ask -- the answer will usually be "HELL NO."

Child care centers aren't licensed by the state as schools (unless they include an actual Kindergarten). Anything that's a school is licensed either by the Department of Education (K-12) or the Board of Higher Education (Colleges, Universities, trade schools, etc.). Child care facilities are licensed by the Department of Early Education and Care, an entirely different bureaucracy.

Ken

Thanks for all the info...

Thanks for all the responses... I don't intend to let anybody find out anyway. I just didn't want to get caught in a legal situation in case anyone did.

Immaterial in MA. Even if the building owners posted "no guns" signs, such signs have no legal force in MA. Furthermore, that is generally a question that you don't want to ask -- the answer will usually be "HELL NO."
If you don't ask and get caught by or reported to the owner, the answer will be a Donald-Trump-style "YOU'RE FIRED!" That is not something that you would want to hear with the current high unemployment rate.

If he stores the firearm in a car in a parking garage and it gets stolen, the answer that he will get from his chief is "LTC REVOKED". Again, not good.

Back
Top Bottom