Is POSSESSION of an STRIPPED Post Healy Lower Legal?

Reptile

NES Member
It is my understanding that a NH FFL can sell a AR15 lower to a Mass resident. If said resident brings it back into Mass but keeps it as a stripped lower or at most completes the lower (but never adds an upper) --- Is that legal in Mass.

I would say it IS legal since it wont be made into a firearm that is capable of firing a round.

I'm talking about a lower made AFTER 7/20/16 - "Post Healy".

Above is correct.

Post Healy lower isn't illegal, but is against her interpretation.

Per federal law, you CANNOT buy a lower in NH and have it transferred to you there. Like handguns, need an in-state FFL.

Thank you all for the above responses.

If I can find a FFL who would do the transfer of a Post Healy lower - it sounds like I can keep it as such, however that goes against HER interpretation. It does not violate any other law.

Although if I decide to build it up - it must be FA10'ed...

At which time they will discover it is Post Healy.

Hilarious that you can buy a complete rifle out of state but not a stripped lower. Is this because a stripped lower can be built up into a pistol?
It is because the enabling law allows for rifles and shotguns to be purchased out of state and not other firearms.

Read https://www.atf.gov/file/60686/download

It is not because of what they can be built into, it is because of what they are (or are not). They are NOT a rifle or a shotgun so therefore not legal for transfer to anyone not a resident.

Hilarious that you can buy a complete rifle out of state but not a stripped lower. Is this because a stripped lower can be built up into a pistol?
1. You can only buy a long gun out of state if it would be legal to buy in your own state.

2. The BATFE is accepting the AG's interpretation as fact, as demonstrated by the requirement of pre 7/20 proof in order to get an SBR tax stamp

3. Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that the BATFE position is that you cannot buy an EBR out of state as a MA resident.

---------------

Years ago, it was possible to buy stripped lowers out of state. The BATFE added a third option to the 4473 - it now lists pistol/revolver; rifle/shotgun; or frame/receiver. This was because the later can be built into pistols as well as long guns. Well, that is the justification. The reason was probably that they wanted to help states enforce AR bans.

2. The BATFE is accepting the AG's interpretation as fact, as demonstrated by the requirement of pre 7/20 proof in order to get an SBR tax stamp

So ATF approves SBR applications in cases where the owner already committed a felony by owning the receiver (by Healey's disinformation), as long the crime was committed during a time when the state hadn't yet discovered that it was a crime?

At which time they will discover it is Post Healy.
How would they know that? Doubt they'd run the serial to see if it was manufactured after 07.20.16

So ATF approves SBR applications in cases where the owner already committed a felony by owning the receiver (by Healey's disinformation), as long the crime was committed during a time when the state hadn't yet discovered that it was a crime?
Well, if wearing socks suddenly becomes illegal, they can't prosecute you for wearing them in the past when it was legal. The catch with Healey is that the law hasn't changed, so trying to make sense of this is headache-inducing.

The best and only way out if this shit is to overthrow her politically, and ensure she doesn't get elected again. It would require a scandal that would make her unelectable. Or someone out of left field to pull of an upset like the brown-marsha Senate race.
On top of ousting her, it would require the election of someone who is 180 of her views.
Where is wikileaks when u need them? I'd love to see a huge data dump of the state email servers. Korean hackers?

As far as I can tell, no one is going to come after you if you've managed to procure a post-07/20 lower, built it, and FA10-ed it. I seriously doubt that the state would want to go down that road - the optics aren't great and it would be a battle in court. The real issue is that dealers have been scared into compliance so it's hard for us to get said lowers.

If you really want to get down a twisted path, use the ATF guidance to procure a lower in another state (if you own property there), and then bring it here and register it. They probably won't go after you. It's all about your risk tolerances.

IANAL, but in this environment it would seem filing a FA-10 is akin to sticking out your neck and hoping the nice lady doesn’t chop off your head.

IANAL, but in this environment it would seem filing a FA-10 is akin to sticking out your neck and hoping the nice lady doesn’t chop off your head.

I would bet any amount of money she wouldn’t do a god damn thing about it.

I also think using the portal is not in anyone’s interest. Especially when they are not following the rules

You have the right not to incriminate yourself... That may or may not be relevant, IANAL.

I would bet any amount of money she wouldn’t do a god damn thing about it.

I also think using the portal is not in anyone’s interest. Especially when they are not following the rules
Here's a good read. You might find some interesting info towards the bottom.
Section 128B. Any resident of the commonwealth who purchases or obtains a firearm, rifle or shotgun or machine gun from any source within or without the commonwealth, other than from a licensee under section one hundred and twenty-two or a person authorized to sell firearms under section one hundred and twenty-eight A, and any nonresident of the commonwealth who purchases or obtains a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun from any source within or without the commonwealth, other than such a licensee or person, and receives such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, within the commonwealth shall within seven days after receiving such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, report, in writing, to the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services the name and address of the seller or donor and the buyer or donee, together with a complete description of the firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, including the caliber, make and serial number. Whoever violates any provision of this section shall for the first offense be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000 and for any subsequent offense by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than ten years.

Kalash, they ceased all written notification. It is now all digital. I can no longer use a quill and messenger to send a FA-10 to the FRB. How can one comply when the mandated system does not? If the 2a doesn’t include current technology then how the f*** can they claim 1a does!

80% built up as a bolt action and registered as such with the custom serial # "GOf***YOURSELF."

Boom. Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom