Is my general hunting spot ruined?

Last year, late November, I got out of my truck in a dirt parking area just before first light and started gathering my stuff for squirrel hunting. It's off the beaten path, not many houses nearby. As I walk around in the dark, I step in human shit!!. Either that or the animals ordered from Ciao Bella in Worcester, known for their generous use of garlic.

Regardless, I spend several minutes doing everything I can to get the shit off my boot so that I'm not tracking that scent along for any deer hunters. I get most of it off but can still smell it a little as I walk along, hitting every source of water I can find. Grey light hits and I hear some trouncing coming downhill through the woods. I stand off to the side of a trail and watch as a buck comes out through the brush, about 15 yards in front of me. He's on the trail and looks right at me. I didn't move and he got off to the side of the trail and started eating. Every once in a while he'd look up at me, then go back to eating. This went on for over five minutes before he sauntered off. I swear they know.; "This guy's got a .22, he ain't deer hunting! And the poor bastard smells like shit!!"

Just don't piss in a scrape. If you do, be careful if you bend over. Jack.
This is very True. All mammal testosterone is chemically the same. While trapping beaver in Groton, Ma. I came across a fresh scrape and I pissed in it and raked it a bit with my walking stick. The next day the area was all torn up.
Also, all mammal estrogen is chemically the same. I once attended a seminar on coyote trapping by a Dr. Boddicker from Colorado and he did a chemical analysis and found that. So he made a synthetic trapping lure for coyotes.

I’ve shot a hundred deer and don’t care what anybody says about scent control. Deer are curiously stupid animals sometimes. I firmly believe it’s the rite place at the rite time. Just be quiet and you will have success

I appreciate all the responses. It's been very entertaining to say the least lol.

How many of you guys have been lucky getting deer say between 9am and 3pm?

I know everyone is different and prefer early mornings and other prefer the Kate afternoon to early evening?

Just curious... I'm a new hunter incase you couldn't have figured that out yet.

I've always had my best luck on morning hunts, I like to be on stand by 6am and between 8am and 10am have been my most productive hours. I also prefer morning because if I do arrow a deer I have a whole day of sunlight to track it, I feel useless in the dark even with flashlights and I hate leaving an animal out overnight with coyotes around.

All that being said I still like the afternoon hunts for the simple fact that its easier to get into the woods and its warmer hahah

I appreciate all the responses. It's been very entertaining to say the least lol.

How many of you guys have been lucky getting deer say between 9am and 3pm?

I know everyone is different and prefer early mornings and other prefer the Kate afternoon to early evening?

Just curious... I'm a new hunter incase you couldn't have figured that out yet.
From my experience deer are shot an hour each side of dusk and dawn mostly.....the majority of my big bucks have been. However, during the rut, anything goes....Ive seen big bucks in the middle of weird places at noon.

Nothing is really out of the question......Ive shot deer (does) at high noon on a bright sunny day in September when it was 75 degrees out.

Pressure has a lot to do with it.....deer will be noctournal if there is daily pressure. You are basically teaching them they won't be fxcked with at night by hunting a place every day. This happens on state land a lot because different people keep hunting the same spots every day. Deer are there, they just move at night only.

Pressure can be your friend too.....people pushing thick bedding areas when your just sitting a stand near there can be a goldmine for you, sometimes if an area has a lot of hunters in it, I'll go in around 11 and sit til 1pm. While people are moving in and out for lunch, they are banging deer around many times they don't even know it.

The best advice I can give you is that if your in the woods/stand at anytime of the hunting day, its better than being in your truck eating lunch, or on the couch at home.

Last edited:
That's a different situation though bro... and the wind is king. Are you paying attention to the direction when you ride up on them? Are you paying attention to your speed relative to the wind so you know if you're outrunning your scent stream? Very different situation than a stationary source of odor that's emanating stink for hours and hours...
Well, yesterday I wore reasonably clean and decent-smelling gear. Not a one.

This morning, not only did I have on the stinky pack, armor, helmet, and gloves, but shirt and shammy I've worn at least once (if not more) since last washing and trousers I've ridden in at least a half dozen times, so I smelled like an absolute beast. Deer-a-rama. I rode up to the same group three different times and from different directions (and one time after stopping to deal with a minor mechanical). Noisy and stinky. Yet there they were.

Well, yesterday I wore reasonably clean and decent-smelling gear. Not a one.

This morning, not only did I have on the stinky pack, armor, helmet, and gloves, but shirt and shammy I've worn at least once (if not more) since last washing and trousers I've ridden in at least a half dozen times, so I smelled like an absolute beast. Deer-a-rama. I rode up to the same group three different times and from different directions (and one time after stopping to deal with a minor mechanical). Noisy and stinky. Yet there they were.

Why don't you tell me where these deer are. I'll check it out for myself...

Why don't you tell me where these deer are. I'll check it out for myself...
Don't bother - it's Rockhouse Hill Sanctuary and thus not hunted. Across the street is a state forest block and is, but the deer seem to be smart enough to stay on the proper side. I've come out at the end of a ride plenty of times to see a hunter coming out of the woods. "Any luck?" Nope. Haven't the heart to tell him I just rode right up to a bunch across the street.

Don't bother - it's Rockhouse Hill Sanctuary and thus not hunted. Across the street is a state forest block and is, but the deer seem to be smart enough to stay on the proper side. I've come out at the end of a ride plenty of times to see a hunter coming out of the woods. "Any luck?" Nope. Haven't the heart to tell him I just rode right up to a bunch across the street.

The lack of hunting pressure would absolutely contribute to their behavior.

No snow so far either so their not forced to hunt for food during the day. Their happy to be out at nite 😊

No one is going to say they take a dump on the stand and waffle stomp it through the grates? I almost always see that in threads when talking about dropping a deuce while hunting

Back
Top Bottom