Is LinkedIn worth it?

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i'm cynical of linkedin, my opinion but i think it's all bs. you build this network of contacts but you don't really know anyone. hey, i went to your school or i play golf, too. I worked at your last place of employment or your brother in law may know my dry cleaner. i took a class in linkedin and the instructor said it's not who you know but how many you know. and all along you make yourself out to be the greatest, most skilled person on the planet.

sadly, a lot of companies only use linkedin to find new hires which is what led me to open an account so you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. hey, at least it's free.
yeah, that's pretty much it.

JoeT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No offense intended, you've got a job to do and I directly support sales at our company so I understand...but...

This is probably one of the biggest drawbacks of being on LinkedIn.

no offense take. My job is to sell stuff to people who buy the stuff I sell. LinkedIn is a "tool" that helps the selling process.

In my example, tk421991 would have no obligation to share that info or give a referral, nor would the owner of NES llc have any obligation to take my call. I have had people contact me in similar situations and have not passed on the info for a couple reasons. the most common is that I wouldn't recommend the person asking and me doing an intro "endorses" that person. Something that I don't take lightly, the other because I don't know the other person well enough that my name would help.

It is the basic reason LinkedIn exists.... their Mission statement is
Our mission is simple: To connect the world's professionals to make them more productive and successful. When you join LinkedIn, you get access to people, jobs, news, updates, and insights that help you be great at what you do.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I had it for a number of years now and I find it useful from time to time. I interact with a lot of vendors and I keep them as contacts in my account. This has allowed me to reach out to certain people in similar industries to gauge work/pricing I'm engaging in. Plus it's a good way to stay in touch in the event you get let go and you lose your contacts.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
LOL. No offense. I hate anyone that tries to sell me anything.....unless it's booze, guns, or hookers.

All it takes to be accidentally nice to a salesperson ONCE, and the fawkers never let go. [banghead]

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
no offense take. My job is to sell stuff to people who buy the stuff I sell. LinkedIn is a "tool" that helps the selling process.

In my example, tk421991 would have no obligation to share that info or give a referral, nor would the owner of NES llc have any obligation to take my call. I have had people contact me in similar situations and have not passed on the info for a couple reasons. the most common is that I wouldn't recommend the person asking and me doing an intro "endorses" that person. Something that I don't take lightly, the other because I don't know the other person well enough that my name would help.

It is the basic reason LinkedIn exists.... their Mission statement is
Ehhhh, I think that's pushing the mission statement a bit far, but the rest is fair enough.

It is one reason I pretty much no longer answer my desk phone, though. :)

That, and recruiters going through the switchboard to call me about other potential jobs, which is an automatic blacklist for that recruiter in my book.

JoeT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
LOL. No offense. I hate anyone that tries to sell me anything.....unless it's booze, guns, or hookers.

All it takes to be accidentally nice to a salesperson ONCE, and the fawkers never let go. [banghead]

you laughed... now you have to buy shit from me...I'm in Western Mass on Tuesday

FrankNA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Some of my customers swear by it.

My experience was markedly different. When I had an account (I dumped it years ago), the only people I ever heard from were old "friends" who "wanted to reconnect" but, in fact, actually wanted to sell me insurance. [thinking]
My experience was very similar to yours...

Last edited:

dans

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Is LinkedIn actually something worth the time to deal with from a professional, business point of view?
what to you mean by "worth it"? I've found jobs through the site and I get notes and messages about a lot of other jobs. I find it useful for keeping in touch with former colleagues (some I don't want to have direct contact with) and there are some interesting articles. Don't think of it as FaceBook for professionals. If you have a good network and keep in touch with people, you may not value LinkedIn.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
We just had a hiring class. We were advised that if a sales candidate had fewer than 500 contacts they are not likely to succeed. And someone with no profile is considered obsolete in thechnology businesses.

If you are in any kind of technology-oriented business and don't have a LinkedIn profile you are putting yourself at an extreme disadvantage.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it is good if you need to network to sell stuff. It is good if you need to find a job. It is good if you need to hire someone. Other times you just put up with it or ignore it.

M1911

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I think of it as an address book where the folks that I add to the book keep their contact info up to date for me.

I have reached out to former colleagues through LinkedIn when I was thinking about applying for a job at their company, or when I needed a contact at that company.

I've also been contacted by recruiters frequently, many of them with jobs that were very appropriate if I was looking to make a change. I'm not looking to make a change and LinkedIn makes it easy to turn down the offers.

For me it has been totally worth it.

Hetzer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Is LinkedIn actually something worth the time to deal with from a professional, business point of view?

I got several interviews via friends I had lost touch with through it and a few recruiters reached out to me through it as well, one of which led to a job offer that I wound up not taking. The job I did get wasn't through LinkedIn but yeah I still say it's worth it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I signed up for it. Figured it would be wise to sign up for it now while I'm still at college so I'll already have a working, functioning account when I'm in law school and looking for a permanent job.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My first contact on LinkedIn was one of the first engineers that the founders hired, so I've been on it for quite a while. I find it useful, as many others have already said, to vet potential hires, vendor sales critters and to loosely keep up with old colleagues.

I'm extremely strict about who I'll accept as a connection. If we have not actually worked together on a project or longer, I won't accept. Just cos you went to the same school, or work at the same company cuts no ice.

With all of that, my jobs have come from specialized recruiters or personal contacts, not LinkedIn.

R

jason19711971

NES Member
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Its good if your in sales, technical field, or looking for jobs. What I don't like about it is that your contacts will suddenly show up on Facebook as "someone you may know".

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work, if you will manage it. Here are some suggestions:

1. Do not allow it to get your contacts from your personal contact list.
2. Be careful which contacts you will connect with. LinkedIn is a selective database. It will profile the contacts you have linked with and it will present you to others based on profiles of those you linked with already. You will also receive similar new profiles as "Do you know...". If you are a VP, for example, link with similar positions or higher.
3. Do not post your resume. Be very brief.
4. Be aware that everything you will post will be picked up by many other internet databases. Do you need that?
5. You can get a job from it but it is mostly used as an "intelligence source".
6. Once you are on it any kid will find out in 3 minutes where you live, where you work, how much you make, what cars you have,.......that is something people do not understand......in today's world it is better to remain anonymous and pick and chose information you need rather than trumpet your achievements.

I used to be on it but I never used it to get a job (I never paid for it). I had 500+ useless connections. I am not on it today.

I hope this helps.

Top Bottom