• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is it legal?

Most regard this as legal as long as you’re not re-manufacturing the magazine in the process. If you’re just adding an extension on that’s removable and still fits the intended gun, it’s fine.

Pre-ban normal capacity, yes. It is fairly common to see at any IPSC/USPSA match. I have several for different platforms.

Regardless of firearm type.

Most regard this as legal as long as you’re not re-manufacturing the magazine in the process. If you’re just adding an extension on that’s removable and still fits the intended gun, it’s fine.
Based on what do you make this statement? We've had this discussion before on nes. There is no reason to think that a preban magazine with an expanded capacity could not be considered a new magazine with the new capacity. Do you think for a second the cop or DA wouldn't try this stunt? I know this is commonly believed but it's based on wishful thinking.

Based on what do you make this statement? We've had this discussion before on nes. There is no reason to think that a preban magazine with an expanded capacity could not be considered a new magazine with the new capacity. Do you think for a second the cop or DA wouldn't try this stunt? I know this is commonly believed but it's based on wishful thinking.

this is exactly what ive been thinking.
Especially on pistols where its harder to prove that the magazine is pre ban. Like a beretta 92 mag for example.

this is exactly what ive been thinking.
Especially on pistols where its harder to prove that the magazine is pre ban. Like a beretta 92 mag for example.
Not a terrible observation, but there aren’t many extended base plates for the 92FS at least as far as I’m aware. Be careful with the baseplates on Glock mags. Some are meant for double stack magazines and will not be compatible with your single stack 10 round magazines. Others may have a different system for locking onto base threads, which may complicate things but not make it impossible to work necessarily if you jerry rig it right. Basically, if you are in MA and concerning Glock, I would only put an extension on a preban magazine.

Basically, if you are in MA and concerning Glock, I would only put an extension on a preban magazine.

Not only that but the big Glock extensions like KRISS V don't work on U notch .45 mags according to KRISS.

Also, U notch mags can't handle the pressure of a large extension.

The fully metal lined drop free pre bans do well with extensions.

Well in mass at this point they have shown they can basically make stuff up out of whole cloth, but the idea that you end up with a 2nd LCAFD ends up straining credulity, when it won't function without "the original thing" (the legal magazine) being an integral part of it. Then again I've heard crazier shit try to get pushed in the courts, doesn't mean it will be successful.

Hell back when Cross-X was still with us (may he RIP), he once told me he had a client where they tried to charge his client with possession of a large capacity firearm (I think the guy had an LTC-B at the time) because the guy had a Walther P22 "because it could hold 11 rounds if you included the cartridge in the chamber".... [rolleyes] Needless to say, the guy walked, but it was still
retarded.

Not only that but the big Glock extensions like KRISS V don't work on U notch .45 mags according to KRISS.

Also, U notch mags can't handle the pressure of a large extension.

The fully metal lined drop free pre bans do well with extensions.
I agree with all the above. KRISS V extensions are a different animal from your standard base plate +2 or +5 Zev extensions. If you do not have the right equipment going into it you will end up with a botched job.

Here's a question... when lazy fat stupid drunk state legislators "adopt" a federal law as it appeared on a certain date, do they inherit the federal interpretations of that law? Like the ATF interpretation that the mag body is the magazine, and is what determines pre- vs. post-ban status?

Here's a question... when lazy fat stupid drunk state legislators "adopt" a federal law as it appeared on a certain date, do they inherit the federal interpretations of that law? Like the ATF interpretation that the mag body is the magazine, and is what determines pre- vs. post-ban status?
Its never been tested, but Healey would like to say "No"

It's not automatic. However, a good, knowledgeable firearms attorney can try to convince a judge/jury that it should be.

Back
Top Bottom