Is it legal to photocopy licenses?

I don't think it is illegal to copy a license for your own use... now whether or not that copy is legally valid or not is another story.

-Mike

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

I think a cop is not going to take a photocopy of your LTC as solid evidence of having one as it's much too easier to doctor a copy. It's not hard to clone the cards themselves, but it takes at least a card printer, which isn't a commodity item.

reading between the lines it sounds like you want to carry a photocopy of your LTC in your wallet while leaving the original in a safe or something. That won't fly. But keeping copies of it in a safe place while the original is in your wallet is not a bad idea.

Umm, this is the NH forum and the OP (if anyone bothered to look) is in NH talking about the NH license, not the MA LTC!

The world (and NES) does not always rotate around Mass!

That is true Len but I don't know if there are any directives on NH PR license... nobody has ever been able to answer if:

-Laminating the NH tissue paper PR license is legal?
-Copying, reducing the NH tissue paper PR license is legal?
-Carrying on a copied NH PR license is legal?

Not sure if the NH DPS is silent on these issues, or not. I never bothered to investigate this stuff because I always just kept the plastic card in my wallet.

-Mike

Umm, this is the NH forum and the OP (if anyone bothered to look) is in NH talking about the NH license, not the MA LTC!

The world (and NES) does not always rotate around Mass!

Sorry, I forgot it only revolves around you!

He called it a CCW license, whereas in NH it's commonly called a PRL. It wasn't a horrible assumption he was a Mass Resident.

May have changed, but somewhere it used to say it must be on your person. The original that is.

In addition to the inanity of a statement like "I think it used to say somewhere..." it has never said that. There is no stated requirement for the license to be on your person.

You can compare the wording (or lack thereof) in 159:6 with the stated requirement in 241:1 for hunting license ("the licensee shall carry such license on his or her person when so engaged, and the license shall be subject to inspection on demand of any person.")

Photocopying, reducing, and laminating the NH P&RL is a common practice.

That is true Len but I don't know if there are any directives on NH PR license... nobody has ever been able to answer if:

Not sure if the NH DPS is silent on these issues, or not. I never bothered to investigate this stuff because I always just kept the plastic card in my wallet.

-Mike

As I understand it, there is no RSA that requires an individual to possess the PRL at any time. If the police want to verify it, they can call the issuing police department.

There are people who photocopy/shrink/laminate a copy in the event they're stopped late at night and the issuing department is skeleton staffed overnight.

-Mike

I asked some of this when I picked my P&R in June...

No reducing of the P&R is allowed.
I believe they don't want you to laminate the original either.
You can make a 1:1 copy and laminate the copy IF you want to (an keep it with you).
You don't need to keep it (or a copy) on you.

It's not on tissue paper anymore. It's not card stock, closer to regular paper weight.

I got confirmation that I'm GTG with having a digital copy in my phone. Even that isn't needed. IF there's ever a need to confirm you have it, the LEO is going to contact the department where it was issued.

I put the original in my gun cabinet/safe[ish] and keep the picture of it with me (on my smart phone).

Since the OP is in NH, he could simply contact the department with the questions and get straight answers. Asking things like this won't make him a PP... Of course, since it's NH (I know, starting to be repetitive) chances are no fvcks will be given if he has a digital copy with him and leaves the original at home.

well.jpg

Sorry for the confusion.

I am a NH resident and was referring to the NH PRL. My mistake for calling it the wrong thing.

My concern is that its not much more than recycled tissue paper at best and most likely not going to last for 4 years in my wallet. I was thinking of shrinking it down to CC size and laminating it.

Thanks again.

You can make a 1:1 copy and laminate the copy IF you want to (an keep it with you).

It's not on tissue paper anymore. It's not card stock, closer to regular paper weight.

I got confirmation that I'm GTG with having a digital copy in my phone. Even that isn't needed. IF there's ever a need to confirm you have it, the LEO is going to contact the department where it was issued.

I put the original in my gun cabinet/safe[ish] and keep the picture of it with me (on my smart phone).

Since the OP is in NH, he could simply contact the department with the questions and get straight answers. Asking things like this won't make him a PP... Of course, since it's NH (I know, starting to be repetitive) chances are no fvcks will be given if he has a digital copy with him and leaves the original at home.

Thanks for this. I was typing post #14 while you posted this.

Who told you this? A local police force? The police, while mostly well-meaning guys, are the absolute worst source for what's legal and what's not. They are more often than not either ignorant or misinformed on the law, and frequently answer with what they want the law to be.

Did they cite an RSA or court decision supporting their position?

A perfect example of how FOS they are is the fact they said you couldn't reduce it, but somehow a picture on your iPhone is OK. Does that even make sense?

-Mike

Mike, that is why I didn't try to answer the OP's question directly. Not living in NH (yet) and having a plastic NR license from NH, I don't have occasion to query the issue.

He called it a CCW license, whereas in NH it's commonly called a PRL. It wasn't a horrible assumption he was a Mass Resident.

Nope, you are wrong, try reading under his avatar:

Since when is there a Rockingham County in MA? Clue: It's near Rockingham Race Track (former site of gun shows too) in NH.

People frequently call them permits (NH folks hate that) and CCW is common usage across the US regardless of which state.

I just try to read carefully before answering so as not to respond with an inappropriate answer due to different geography and laws.

You can always get a plastic holder like the one you put baseball cards in.

MH.jpg

everey one I know in NH, as well as myself, photocopy and reduces their license and carries it, storing the original in the safe.

My out of state NH Pistol License (issued in 2013) is small and plastic - the same as my Mass in state LTC. Are they still using paper for residents? Or is it just really old?

My out of state NH Pistol License (issued in 2013) is small and plastic - the same as my Mass in state LTC. Are they still using paper for residents? Or is it just really old?

Only the NR licenses are printed on plastic cards. That is a factor that periodically contributes to massive delays in issuing NR licenses. (When I got my first one, there was issues with the card printer being down, applications continuing to roll in, and needless to say, it ended up taking a few months)

I ride atv's regularly and sweat a lot. Wallet has a tendency to get wet. Maybe 1999 licenses where indestructible, but they certainly aren't now.

So do I, so that is no excuse. As a matter of fact, my wallet was in my pocket when I went into the river several years ago.

/thread

So do I, so that is no excuse. As a matter of fact, my wallet was in my pocket when I went into the river several years ago.

/thread

You've used that multiple times now.

Is there some kind of "moderator's assistant/hall monitor" status that allows you to decide when threads should be done?

Back
Top Bottom