Is it legal to pass through MA if...

I hold a valid nh pistol and revolver license, am a NH resident,pistol is stowed out of reach and locked, and am just passing through on my way to another town in NH?

Their out of state ltc is a ripoff, and I don't want to get in trouble.

Thanks!

IMNAL but if you didn't stop and had it locked up in MA approved safe away from ammo then yes I believe so, but this being MA I wouldn't even risk a chance of getting popped.

I hold a valid nh pistol and revolver license, am a NH resident,pistol is stowed out of reach and locked, and am just passing through on my way to another town in NH?

Their out of state ltc is a ripoff, and I don't want to get in trouble.

Thanks!

If you pack your shit up per FOPA and don't stop, that's one thing... but not sure why anyone would ever do this... maybe in eastern nh, but the rest of the border is pretty "flat."

-Mike

The P&R license is absolutely meaningless. I don't recall if FOPA covers you if your departure and destination states are the same. If so, you'd want a locked container in the trunk.

That said, other than maybe 495 in the eastern areas, I'm having a hard time imagining a route you couldn't easily modify just to avoid MA. It's not like the state is a jigsaw puzzle and it's going to save you 3 hours of driving.

The P&R license is absolutely meaningless. I don't recall if FOPA covers you if your departure and destination states are the same.

FOPA covers you if you are legal in your state of origin and legal in your destination state. That works whether the origin and destination are different or the same.

However, all of the FOPA restrictions must be met. Gun must be unloaded. I don't believe that FOPA covers large capacity magazines, but IANAL.

The MA non-resident LTC is, indeed, a rip-off. However, the cost of a criminal defense attorney for just an hour would pay for the non-res LTC. You said you want to stay out of trouble -- the best way to do that is to get the MA non-res LTC. Yes, it is a pain. But how much is that peace of mind worth to you?

FOPA covers you if you are legal in your state of origin and legal in your destination state. That works whether the origin and destination are different or the same.
That's what I figured.

I'd file this under "not an issue" - meaning he should amend his route, unless there's some crazy explanation, but his post said "just passing through" and not some other stop or anything.

If you pack your shit up per FOPA and don't stop, that's one thing... but not sure why anyone would ever do this... maybe in eastern nh, but the rest of the border is pretty "flat."

Which might make it hard to convince a police officer and/or court that you were, in fact, just passing through.

you'd want a locked container in the trunk.

I suggest locking said container with a combination lock.

An "inventory" search has been found constitutional, so long as they police comply with their written procedures. The inventory procedure is supposed to protect them from claims of theft.

Most written procedures instruct them to open and inventory any locked containers for which they have keys. It would be pretty hard to justify breaking open a combination lock so they can inventory it.

I use a toolbox with a padlock on it.

An "inventory" search has been found constitutional, so long as they police comply with their written procedures. The inventory procedure is supposed to protect them from claims of theft.

Most written procedures instruct them to open and inventory any locked containers for which they have keys. It would be pretty hard to justify breaking open a combination lock so they can inventory it.

With 5 tumblers on the padlock. A 3 tumbler lock is easy for anyone with a little persistence to get through, and then the officer can claim that it was unlocked.

Thanks all for the reply.

I live in southeast new hampshire, and would need to take 495 to a range I like.

The town I live in requires sponsorship to join their gun and rod club. So instead of taking back roads, wanted to take 495.

Thoughts?

Thanks all for the reply.

I live in southeast new hampshire, and would need to take 495 to a range I like.

The town I live in requires sponsorship to join their gun and rod club. So instead of taking back roads, wanted to take 495.

Thoughts?

Hold on there partner!

Are you talking about visiting a range in MA? If so, then your destination is MA, not NH, and then you are NOT covered by FOPA.

FOPA is only in play if you are simply passing through a state. For example, suppose I am driving from MA to PA. I will be driving through NY, but not stopping in NY (other than for gas and meal or two). In that case, FOPA applies. If, however, I live in MA, want to go see a friend in NY, spend a few hours there, then return to MA, FOPA does not apply.

IMNAL but if you didn't stop and had it locked up in MA approved safe away from ammo then yes I believe so, but this being MA I wouldn't even risk a chance of getting popped.

I do not believe there is any such animal, and don't wish to give them any ideas.

We do not need a SAFE ROSTER as well.

If you are keen on taking 495 and think the “risks” are worth it (only you can decide for yourself), then do it. Just follow the FOPA rules.

However, if you’re so uneasy about driving through MA (even if you’re all FOPA’d up) that you’re gonna crash your car at any glance of a PoPo, then please take back roads and stay in NH.

Again, all up to you, whatever you think is best for yourself. Risk vs reward.

Last edited:
If you don’t put the I’m from New Hampshire and carrying a gun sign on your car you’ll probably be ok. Don’t drive like an a**h*** either.

Take the route that avoids going into the PRM and it's a non-issue. Even if it extends your drive time by half again, it's a LOT better than trying to get out of a jam. Even if you don't drive like a Ma**h***, you COULD get into a collision, cops could find your firearm, and then you're boned. Or you have to get a lawyer to get de-boned. I would avoid all of that and just not go through the PRM to get to the range. Of course, I live 1-2 minutes from my range, so it's no issue here. ;)

However, all of the FOPA restrictions must be met. Gun must be unloaded. I don't believe that FOPA covers large capacity magazines, but IANAL.

The MA non-resident LTC is, indeed, a rip-off. However, the cost of a criminal defense attorney for just an hour would pay for the non-res LTC. You said you want to stay out of trouble -- the best way to do that is to get the MA non-res LTC. Yes, it is a pain. But how much is that peace of mind worth to you?

Very true.

That's what I figured.

I'd file this under "not an issue" - meaning he should amend his route, unless there's some crazy explanation, but his post said "just passing through" and not some other stop or anything.

May or may not be practical/possible for some. In our house-searching in SE NH we looked at some houses that were literally 2 houses or only mere hundreds of yards from the MA border. I can easily see the need to go thru MA to get anywhere in some of those cases.

I like that idea!

With 5 tumblers on the padlock. A 3 tumbler lock is easy for anyone with a little persistence to get through, and then the officer can claim that it was unlocked.

Very true.

May or may not be practical/possible for some. In our house-searching in SE NH we looked at some houses that were literally 2 houses or only mere hundreds of yards from the MA border. I can easily see the need to go thru MA to get anywhere in some of those cases.
Point well taken. While not "crazy" I'd still file that under an unusual or at least uncommon situation. Based on the destinations he listed, Hudson to somewhere SE, it does sound like he could amend the route.

I just got an MA non-res instead of worrying. 27 cents per day is not a "ripoff" to me when compared to prison. Plus it has other benefits.

-Mike
Rt119 bounces between Ma and NH, all the from Groton Ma, to Keene NH. I remember seeing Ma staties sitting on the side of the road at border crossings. I've heard of folks getting popped, regardless of FOPA, if for no other reason than to make a point "stay outta ma' state wit dem gunz".

Back
Top Bottom