Is it legal to own and fire a functional cannon in NH?

Cannons are legal in MA... firing them, however, may not be. (It requires a special license, IIRC. )

-Mike

yup, uncle has one and fires it off a few times on the forth...

um... wait... not sure on the lic thing... he does roll it back in the shed after each time he fires it...

forget i said anything, move along, nothing to see.

That is funny stuff - "I recently decided I wanted a cannon" !

I've wanted a cannon for ages. The biggest gripe I have with MA, more than the oppressive firearms laws, is the oppressive cannon firing laws. Sure you can own a cannon in MA, but you can't fire the thing without a million miles of red tape. [angry]

I live about six miles outside the village of Rhinebeck, NY; which was founded back in 1688. About a decade or so ago, there was a project to go through all the old records and find old and obscure laws no one remembered.

They actually discovered a town ordinance from around 1815 or so that made it illegal to discharge a cannon anywhere in the Town of Rhinebeck.

This is sorta like the tree falling in the forest thing. Could you be breaking an old town law in NH if no one remembers the law exists?[grin]

Regards
John

Firearms

New Hampshire, Massachussetts and Federal law specifically exempt "primative ignition" weapons from their definition of firearms. This includes any weapon with a flint, match or procussion cap ignition system. They all also state that any weapon which uses a metal cartriage is specifically not a primative ignition system.

If you build a flint lock that uses metal cartriages, appearently it's a firearm.

Cannons as we think of them are generally legal because most are match-lock style weapons with a flash hole.

As pointed out, firing them can be a different story. They can violate state laws, local ordinances, noise ordinances etc.

Personally, I would love to have a civil war style 2-3" bore brass field howizer as a show piece, but currently I have other items that I am more likely to purchase with that amount of money.

New Hampshire, Massachussetts and Federal law specifically exempt "primative ignition" weapons from their definition of firearms. This includes any weapon with a flint, match or procussion cap ignition system. They all also state that any weapon which uses a metal cartriage is specifically not a primative ignition system.

You're really distorting the various legal definitions of a firearm by trying to mash them all together, and while you are 'in the ballpark', you have unfortunately failed to capture the legalities of any of them.

See MGL C.140 § 121 for the MA definitions of "Firearm", "Rifle", "Shotgun", and the exemptions for antique guns.

See RSA 159:1 for the NH definition of "pistol or revolver" and exemptions for antiques. (NH law does not explicitly define the words firearm, rifle, or shotgun)

And see 18 USC 44 § 921(a)(3) for the federal definition of "Firearm" and "Antique firearm".

On a similar, although, smaller scale. The golf ball mortars are awesome. I have always wanted one..

My cousin (an NH resident) built one of those from a piece of 5" diameter stainless bar stock. He welded a a "U" shaped handle to it so it can be chained to a tree. The normal charge is 4 oz. of Pyrodex. He fired that off for the 4th of July and OMG, that's one of the loudest things I've ever heard. Yes, the cops came down and told him to "knock it off". Love those small NH towns. [smile]

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it!. I figured I would find out for sure if I was going to get in trouble, and brought it to the police station in the town I was going to fire it in. Cop asked me what time I was going to shoot it, as he wanted to check it out himself! So, a pound of pyrodex and a ton of lead later, I believe I have made the coolest thing ever! Ever see what a 1" diameter lead slug will do to almost anything? Brought a bunch of milk jugs full of water, trash can full of water, computer monitors, microwave, and other assorted stuff to be blown up. The trash can was the best, as it shot a huge stream of water about 50 feet up. I still haven't got any pics yet, but I will later today.

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it!. I figured I would find out for sure if I was going to get in trouble, and brought it to the police station in the town I was going to fire it in. Cop asked me what time I was going to shoot it, as he wanted to check it out himself! So, a pound of pyrodex and a ton of lead later, I believe I have made the coolest thing ever! Ever see what a 1" diameter lead slug will do to almost anything? Brought a bunch of milk jugs full of water, trash can full of water, computer monitors, microwave, and other assorted stuff to be blown up. The trash can was the best, as it shot a huge stream of water about 50 feet up. I still haven't got any pics yet, but I will later today.

Got to love living in NH. Our police presence is the same... they want to know when we're firing so they can be there... they also bring targets.

Wonder if there is an exception for starting sailboat races. The Volvo folks were firing a cannon Sun. at fan pier.

I never even thought of building a cannon until now. Now I think I have to have one. My uncle has over 500 acres of very undeveloped forest in western Maine. I'm pretty sure you could detonate anything up to (but not including) a nuclear weapon up there and no one would know.

Off to google cannon plans...

Yes but isn't that powered by compressed air rather than by a chemical reaction?

Sometimes. I have made one that used hair-spray for combustion, but I have also seen them run on compressed air. I find air power to be a pain, as you need a pump or a compressor. They also are usually larger due to the air tank. My hair spray potato gun would launch a potato 200 yards, maybe a little farther. That's plenty of power to have fun! And a can of hairspray is easier to carry than a pump.

Was it a real cannon or just one of those saluting guns that takes a 10 ga blank?

-Mike

Wasn't close enough to tell. Posted earlier is something about devices firing cartridges being firearms in MA. Curious probably one of these things where it may be illegal but no one cares because there aren't right wing nutjobs involved. [wink]

I never even thought of building a cannon until now. Now I think I have to have one. My uncle has over 500 acres of very undeveloped forest in western Maine. I'm pretty sure you could detonate anything up to (but not including) a nuclear weapon up there and no one would know.

Off to google cannon plans...
The best idea I have heard of for a homemade cannon is the hydraulic cylinder that was in a previous post in this thread. They are plenty strong, and readily available and shouldn't need much to make a cannon from. They come in all sizes, so that is a major plus. Just remove the piston and use the outer sleeve. If I make another, that is what I will be doing! 4" cylinder would be real loud!

Originally Posted by ShadeWPI
As pointed out, firing them can be a different story. They can violate state laws, local ordinances, noise ordinances etc.

So, I should probably dismantle the civil war cannon I've got loaded with grapeshot and trained on the front door with a trip wire, in case of intruders, then, huh?

"Booby Traps" have been determined to be illegal by our court system as they are "indescriminate" and thus can not determine the ethical application of force.

Posted earlier is something about devices firing cartridges being firearms in MA.

That post contained incorrect information.

Climbnsink said:
Curious probably one of these things where it may be illegal but no one cares because there aren't right wing nutjobs involved. [wink]

Oh, they care. But if the crew firing the cannon is certified, certain conditions have been met, and the local fire chief has signed off on it, it is legal to discharge a cannon in MA.

What about a catapult? I saw them build one on one of those Mythbusters type shows, and it didn't really work. I'd like a small one. Anyone ever built one??

A friend of mine wants me to build a trebuchet. I have been doing a little research, and I haven't made up my mind if it is something I want to do or not. It seems like it will be pretty difficult to build just do to the size of it. A catapult would also be fun, and possibly easier to build. I'm going to look into that a little more, maybe I'll bust one out. I am only working PT right now due to a back injury, so I have a ton of time on my hands. I build stuff all the time to keep from going insane, as I have a full woodshop and most of what I need for metal fab. If anybody knows of some good catapult plans, let me know!

There is a house in Rochester, NH on Salmon Falls road that has a trebuchet in the backyard. They also build large, cool snow castles every year.

Years ago, my dad built a small trebuchet. It was about three feet tall, but worked well.

Back
Top Bottom