• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is it legal in MA to shot rats in my garage with 22 shot shells?

I think probably not.

Anybody want to confirm that.

Not hunting.
Pest destroying stuff in my garage.

.22shotshell is not going to go through a wall, so I think it is safe.

Stick with a pellet gun. They would probably come after you for defending yourself against a rabid dog or coyote in your yard, stating that "you shouldn't have been outside during that time".

Charles.

How close are your neighbors? If no one knows you shot the rat(s) did it actually happen?

22 shotshells are safe for that, legally meh any real state I'd say blast away, MA is probably always going to be a risk. Can your neighbors see you carrrying aiming and shooting? Pellet gun is more legal but still might get the po po called if your neighbors are jackwads. I suggest poison, whenever I lived where there were rats I'd only see them dead, sneaky little bastards, poison never sleeps.

General Laws: CHAPTER 269, Section 12E

See clause (c) in the linked statute.

If you're indoors and the "Target Range" is your garage and the rats are your targets, you're legally fine. Until the cops show up. Then the fun begins. Just because you are acting within the law, does not mean that you're safe.

If you're shooting a lot, you may attract attention, especially if the garage is usually quiet. If you're always running tools and noisy equipment, it would likely go unnoticed. I had squirrels in my mom's garage, and the 10-pump airgun did the job. A few were not "ethical" kills.....but those bastids had destroyed a lot of stuff, including eating the lacings of a pair of old, nice, snowshoes, and I was feeling vindictive.

If pest removal is the goal, not revenge, traps or poison is the way to go, IMO.

If it's bloodlust, that's another story.

IANAL YMMV RSTLNE, etc.

Maybe I will just go buy a damn pellet gun. Seems like shotshell woud be safer, but when does that mean anything around here.

I have a single pump pellet pistol and it bounced right off him. I need more firepower.

I am cleaning out the garage in the snow and want this over with.

Eta. I like the snow blower running idea.

Last edited:
General Laws: CHAPTER 269, Section 12E

See clause (c) in the linked statute.

If you're indoors and the "Target Range" is your garage and the rats are your targets, you're legally fine. Until the cops show up. Then the fun begins. Just because you are acting within the law, does not mean that you're safe.

If you're shooting a lot, you may attract attention, especially if the garage is usually quiet. If you're always running tools and noisy equipment, it would likely go unnoticed. I had squirrels in my mom's garage, and the 10-pump airgun did the job. A few were not "ethical" kills.....but those bastids had destroyed a lot of stuff, including eating the lacings of a pair of old, nice, snowshoes, and I was feeling vindictive.

If pest removal is the goal, not revenge, traps or poison is the way to go, IMO.

If it's bloodlust, that's another story.

IANAL YMMV RSTLNE, etc.

NO NO NO !

If LEO arrives, act dumb.

Say as little as possible.

Don't let them in.

In fact, just use Glue Traps.

Don't lose your LTC over something like this.

Last edited:
From our shed: gamecam + humane trap = entertainment. Chickens in the background noise. He won't be stealing grain any more...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom