• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

is it douchie using your climber around other peoples stands ?

I was out scouting this am for a few new spots .. and i found some great terrain. But with in 200-300 yard area i saw some one has a hang on stand up in the tree , so i walked about 100 yards ahead .. found another good spot .. turns out some one has locked their climber to the tree. Am i a jerk for shimming up a tree close to these guys if i get there early in the AM and there are no cars there ? .. Also walked across a cam with a sweet beet block in front of it. Its a small area for sure , and i doubt ill go in if there is even one car there before me ... whats the consensus ?

I was out scouting this am for a few new spots .. and i found some great terrain. But with in 200-300 yard area i saw some one has a hang on stand up in the tree , so i walked about 100 yards ahead .. found another good spot .. turns out some one has locked their climber to the tree. Am i a jerk for shimming up a tree close to these guys if i get there early in the AM and there are no cars there ? .. Also walked across a cam with a sweet beet block in front of it. Its a small area for sure , and i doubt ill go in if there is even one car there before me ... whats the consensus ?

Public land is public and first come first serve.

The beet block at this point in the season is baiting and is illegal. I wouldn't hunt there for that reason alone. I would also consider reporting it.

Bob

Well to me first off way to many people to much pressure find a new spot... If you cant well sh*t I wouldent go up the tree if the guy is in his stand obviously... Aside from that if its that heavily used I don't think you are doing a thing worng.. However alot of guys think the own the woods and aren't as laid back as I am with this stuff. For this reason I no longer deer hunt on public lands... To many guys sticking there chests out telling me how this is there spot and it has been there spot for 10 years. They are often hot headed and are usally unsafe as well... After a coupple of run ins I was done. I then learned how to approach land owners and get permission... Once you get permission treat these folks well... I offer them backstraps, I bake them pie, I send them christmass cards. I also when I was in better health used to clean up brush and do dump runs for them. In return I get awsome scouting reports. Phone calls when deer or turkeys are in the back yard when in season.. And back at one spot in western mass the guys 15 year old son used to check my trail cams and send me pics....There are very good people out there... some of them have deer or turkeys or geese that drive them nuts..... That's where you can come in!

I have been warned by a group of a-holes to avoid their spot. And be sure to carry extra spares. This was on 495 north before bay st.

It isn't worth the hassle and as has been previously posted, private property is where it is at.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

super lame. Its really too bad that this has to be part of hunting. I walked by a few trail cameras and stands today and never did I or would I touch them. I dont even like sitting in another guys stand, but it seems there is a definite stigma when it comes to this subject , every one thinks they are a tough guy ( this comes from a guy who is 5'3 ! )

I wouldn't do it simply because it could get over crowded. Is there a good run? Follow it down a ways see if there is another spot. Plus if you're both in there you don't know the guy, he could stink or be noisy and drive the deer away from the area.

Depends on the spot. Some people just leave their stands and only hunt once or twice. I've hunted near stands and never seen another hunter. Particularly in bow season.

I found a treestand in Norwood where someone had tied the guy's bow drop line tied into a hangmans noose. Lots of losers in every walk of life.

I caught an off islander red handed messing with one of my spots a few weeks ago before the season started.
I had gone in to the spot early to check my camera and as I was re-setting it I heard something coming through the woods.
Sure enough here comes a guy through the pines so I crouched down and figured I would let him pass.
As he stepped into one of my shooting lanes I watched him spot my orange tape yardage markers. He went to one and snapped it off the branch. Looked around went to the next, snapped it off and put it in his pocket.
Just as he was about 20 yards off I hollered and asked him wtf he was doing.
He was shocked. He didnt expect to see or hear anyone in the woods at 7 in the morning on a Monday.
Even though I was only 20 or so yards away from him he couldnt see me.
"Uh Uhh I thought this was my brother's spot, he isnt supposed to be here," he said.
"Bullsh&t. Never mind your brother, I said. You arent supposed to be messing with my spot, you SCUMBAG. Some sportsman you are, you Fu&$ing A$$hole."!
"Ill put it back up", he said as he was trying to tie the last marker back on.
I told him not to bother and to get lost. Told him I had spotted his truck, knew what he looks like and he better beat feet.
What an a$$hole.
He hasnt been back. I was pissed.
Most of us locals respect each other's spots, year after year.
Its usually the off islanders who think they can do whatever they want, steal people's stands, trespass and leave their gut piles on the side of the road for all the antis to see.

It saddens me to hear the stories of A-holes, as I have not had the negitive experience yet but am not surprised but since our community is not a large one and not too popular 'round these parts it is amazing the level some people will resort to, there are a few spots I use and there are a couple stands in place, seems like they are permanant fixtures only seen one that has someone been in it and if so ill move on if not I give a good distance from them "dont want to be in range of them", no sense being a jerk about who is where..

Public land is public and first come first serve.

Bob

This is a scary thought and I hear it all the time. If a hunter has taken the time to put up his stand, clear his shooting lanes, and put out range markers then I figure he was there first and move on. I was told this exact same thing one time years ago, I had built a ground blind about 30 yards off a game trail for shotgun season. Opening day I was in there early and ready come legal shooting. A few minutes later here come Bubba and his other brother Bubba, they see me (they waved) and split up one goes 50 yards up the trail the other down about 50 yards and sit just off it. I was pissed....I got up and walked down the trail to one guy and asked him why he was cutting me off, his response was this is state land I can setup where ever I want - 1st come 1st serve.
I am not slamming HH here but it brought up bad memories.

This is a scary thought and I hear it all the time. If a hunter has taken the time to put up his stand, clear his shooting lanes, and put out range markers then I figure he was there first and move on. I was told this exact same thing one time years ago, I had built a ground blind about 30 yards off a game trail for shotgun season. Opening day I was in there early and ready come legal shooting. A few minutes later here come Bubba and his other brother Bubba, they see me (they waved) and split up one goes 50 yards up the trail the other down about 50 yards and sit just off it. I was pissed....I got up and walked down the trail to one guy and asked him why he was cutting me off, his response was this is state land I can setup where ever I want - 1st come 1st serve.
I am not slamming HH here but it brought up bad memories.

Everyone who has hunted for some time has dealt with this in one fashion or another. I do my level best to avoid walking in on anyone and give other hunters all the space I can.

When I run across a ladder stand I will often put a small twig on one of the rungs to see it it is being used. There have been MANY instances where that twig was there for the entire season telling me that that stand has not been used.

Way too many hunters deliberately leave stands out there all year to "reserve their spot." If you have hunted for a while I am sure that you have run into it. IMO my license fees and land stamp are worth just as much as the next guy's.

A lot of this could be eliminated if the state would restrict stands to portable stands only and require that they be carried in and out daily.

I honestly have very little trouble as most of my hunting is done during the week and if I hunt on a Saturday I hunt on private land.

Bob

Everyone who has hunted for some time has dealt with this in one fashion or another. I do my level best to avoid walking in on anyone and give other hunters all the space I can.

When I run across a ladder stand I will often put a small twig on one of the rungs to see it it is being used. There have been MANY instances where that twig was there for the entire season telling me that that stand has not been used.

Way too many hunters deliberately leave stands out there all year to "reserve their spot." If you have hunted for a while I am sure that you have run into it. IMO my license fees and land stamp are worth just as much as the next guy's.

A lot of this could be eliminated if the state would restrict stands to portable stands only and require that they be carried in and out daily.

I honestly have very little trouble as most of my hunting is done during the week and if I hunt on a Saturday I hunt on private land.

Bob
I REALLY like that twig idea and will be sure to use it next time . I also have been hunting during the week due to my flexible work schedule

The problem in the USA is that any douchebag can take a week end 20 dollat course, buy a rifle and go hunting. I used to hunt in Germany. Took me a year, 3 times a week, of classes. A final exam that eliminated a big number of applicants (fees are lost, although you can take the next exam without having to go back to hunting school), practical exam, shooting and firearms test. THe list goes on. After holding the "Jagderlaubnis", you need to find a hunter who will let you hunt on his "Revier" (state land where only he and his guest are allowed to hunt). Everybody who is hunting on that piece of land is also responsible to maintain the Revier (plant wintercrops, have an eye on varmint population, saltlicks, and so on). It is one of the most time consuming and expensive hobbies one can have in Germany. But it keeps the woods clean, the animal population balanced, and the week end warriors away from hunting.

Im in agreement with HH on this too. Its public land. You can put up your stand cams, flagging, etc. i wont touch it. But dont expect just cause you did i cant hunt there or close to there. I wouldnt deliberately do it, but ive walked into spots in the dark climbed up in my climber and low and behold theres a stand 20 yards away i didnt see in the dark or wasnt there when i scouted the last time.

Im not moving and ruining my hunt to move either. First come first serve. But i guarantee if the guy comes in later hes gonna think im an a**h***. Tough shit you should have been in your tree if you were and shined a light at me i would have moved way off.

Just like guys who illegally post private land thats not posted to keep spots there are guys that throw up shitloads of stands and never hunt them.

Public land is public land deal with it its not your spot its everyones spot. I assume my hunt can be ****ed up any time i hunt public land which is why i pretty much dont. Like Bob said if everyone had to use a climber it would lead to less bullshit. Any one thats hunted for a while will eventually be on both sides of the coin and realize public land generally is a pain in the ass and you never know what to expect

Lots of hunters place multiple stands so they have favorable wind conditions. No big deal. Find who owns them and ask if they mind sharing, do likewise with yours.

I have hunted from other people's stands with their permission and have no problem letting others use mine.

The problem in the USA is that any douchebag can take a week end 20 dollat course, buy a rifle and go hunting. I used to hunt in Germany. Took me a year, 3 times a week, of classes. A final exam that eliminated a big number of applicants (fees are lost, although you can take the next exam without having to go back to hunting school), practical exam, shooting and firearms test. THe list goes on. After holding the "Jagderlaubnis", you need to find a hunter who will let you hunt on his "Revier" (state land where only he and his guest are allowed to hunt). Everybody who is hunting on that piece of land is also responsible to maintain the Revier (plant wintercrops, have an eye on varmint population, saltlicks, and so on). It is one of the most time consuming and expensive hobbies one can have in Germany. But it keeps the woods clean, the animal population balanced, and the week end warriors away from hunting.

This is why I love the USA.. I really don't need that much B.S. to go hunting... I don't want it to be a elite sport.. I want it to be safe but I want it to be inviting.. I want it so its easy for kids to take part! I have long learned kids who are in the outdoor are genrally out of troubble!

I would defintly like to leave the goverment out of my tree stand as much as possible!

Welcome to the USA!!! Hope you grow to love it. Because we wont be changing if I can have anything to do with it!!!

Good go back, means more room for us to hunt here. Since you seem to love being a part of uberdouchebnis.

does anyone remember my thread about my opening day experience with the climber? Thats douchie, if you are sharing shooting lanes with another hunter you or him are too close and the last person there should have the decency to find another spot.

Back
Top Bottom