Is it crazy to buy a Ruger 57 (chambered in 5.7x28mm) right now?

... This thing shoots flat at 100 yards... with a muzzle flash bigger than the ego of the person shooting it. First gun? No. A range toy when you get bored of your garden variety pistol calibers? Sure.

Don’t really know if this is the OP’s first gun, since he specifically said shopping for a first handgun. If it’s his first handgun, but he already has one or more long guns, then the requirement to have something to learn firearm basics is somewhat reduced.

Not many handguns Hickok45 channel hasn't reviewed if you want a pretty well-respected opinion. My $0.02: The 5.7 round has a definite cool/unique factor. If I lived in a free state, the 20rd mag would be a selling point, but alas, I'm limited to a mere 10rd high capacity automatic assault clip scary bullet thing in MA.

View: https://youtu.be/RhovhpBUJNo

You saw one, it is available and you liked it. If you can afford it and you want it, buy it! Just understand that the ammunition right now is crazy expensive. I have an FN FiveseveN. It is very low recoil (less than my 9mm's) and very accurate (195LF ammo). It should be a fun range gun. Because of the velocity of the rounds, it is a little more problematic for HD particularly if you are in a densely populated area (a round that misses its target may go through several walls). All that being said, if I could only have one gun, it would be a Gen 3 or Gen 4 Glock 19. The Glock 19 works for HD, EDC and match competition. You can find them here in the Classifieds from time to time. Whatever you buy, remember to practice often and always with a purpose. Good luck and happy shopping!

There is a tendency for newbies to gun ownership (as with people new to other, similar fields) to be overwhelmed by choices and the lure of the "newest and greatest" products. In our case it's often the latest and greatest "tactical toys" that the "big boys" use.

Your best bet is to try to recognize this temptation and look instead for a handgun and/or long gun which will allow you to master the basic skills needed to become a safe and proficient shooter. You can then expand your arsenal to include other firearms with which to develop your skills.

And by that the time, the toys which seemed so appealing at the beginning may have been replaced by other toys.
Yeah but no big boys use that in hand guns lol it's niche even in the military

Not many handguns Hickok45 channel hasn't reviewed if you want a pretty well-respected opinion. My $0.02: The 5.7 round has a definite cool/unique factor. If I lived in a free state, the 20rd mag would be a selling point, but alas, I'm limited to a mere 10rd high capacity automatic assault clip scary bullet thing in MA.

View: https://youtu.be/RhovhpBUJNo

Cz p10f and xdm9s both have 19 round 9mm mags.... in free states 20 rounds isn't a draw for us

30 rounds like a pmr 30 is cool tho

Shopping for a first handgun. Pickings are slim in the gun shops. However today I saw this Ruger 57 chambered in 5.7x28mm that I liked. Honestly I had never even heard of this round. But reading about to online, it seems like it might be a cool gun. One shortcoming is that ammo for this seems hard to come by and expensive. But then again, all ammo seems hard to come buy right now. Looks like I can buy it on gun broker for like $2/round versus 9mm at $1/round. Would buying this gun be crazy?
Bought this for my wife. She likes it a lot. No recoil and looks scary from a distance. Ammo is a pain now but what you like and feel comfortable with is primary. Despite the doubters, ammo prices will come down some time in the next 5 years. The Rugers entry into the market and rapid sales should enhance the likelihood that this round will become more affordable than it was pre2020. Other posters are correct, with a 20 round magazine, this is a no brainer purchase in my opinion.

I just bought one on a whim. Came across a good deal at a buddy's shop and scooped it. Many places ammo is really expensive ($2+), but I have still been able to find it for ~.80/rd here and there. That said, I would not buy this as a 1st hand gun, at least not right now. Cost and availability of ammo is the primary reason, otherwise if you can locate and afford it, why the hell not. It will never be an edc for me or my go to if SHTF, but its got a cool factor.

Patriot arms in Ipswich also has several 9mm pistols to choose from
Patriots is a good .although small shop to check. Also I would recommend Four seasons Woburn which has a lot more pistols to choose from.
Good Luck. Today is a bad day to buy guns,ammo, almost anything firearms related. There are 8 million new guns owners this year.

The round really does nothing special. It is soft shooting but that's about it IMO. Problem is that $2/rd is kind of "normal" for that round. It's a terrible choice for a first gun as well in my opinion.
Have you shot one?

You saw one, it is available and you liked it. If you can afford it and you want it, buy it! Just understand that the ammunition right now is crazy expensive. I have an FN FiveseveN. It is very low recoil (less than my 9mm's) and very accurate (195LF ammo). It should be a fun range gun.
Recoil on the FiveseveN pistol is interesting, while it may be lower recoil than a 9mm, it feels sharper, in part because the FiveseveN only weighs 1.6lb loaded.
Have you shot one?
I've only fired the FN, however a friend has the Ruger on order, it'll be interesting to see if recoil is different with the (slightly heavier) Ruger.

Doesnt make sense in Mass, the biggest advantage to the gun and caliber is that its extra high capacity, but here we can only get 10 round mags, i'd rather have a larger caliber with that restriction.

Doesnt make sense in Mass, the biggest advantage to the gun and caliber is that its extra high capacity, but here we can only get 10 round mags, i'd rather have a larger caliber with that restriction.
There is no sense to any of this in any state unless you like hunting huge rats, squirrels, coyotes, with a pistol or some s*** like that... [rofl] the capacity thing is just a sidetracking delusion of grandeur thing so that you can say that it sucks without just admitting that it's a dumb idea (for most people) altogether. [laugh] another words for what this gun is actually good at is the capacity really going to make a difference? Nope.

There is no sense to any of this in any state unless you like hunting huge rats, squirrels, coyotes, with a pistol or some s*** like that... [rofl] the capacity thing is just a sidetracking delusion of grandeur thing so that you can say that it sucks without just admitting that it's a dumb idea (for most people) altogether. [laugh] another words for what this gun is actually good at is the capacity really going to make a difference? Nope.

Plus, 17 and 18 round capacity is becoming the norm with 9x19 handguns. Beretta, CZ, Glock, SIG, etc.

20 is obviously more than 17, but those extra three cartridges cost $2.00 per round versus $0.25-0.40 per round for 9x19; that adds up.

5.7x28 hasn't caught on in hunting, either, or as a woods gun cartridge.

About as pointless a round as the many iterations of 6mm. Just stick with the basics these days which may last longer than some think and may never change again for the better. The gun that eats the ammo which is available is what you need. When the days of the Trump slump ever return, if at all, then buy that vegan gun.

Decided I wanted an extended barrel and brake, but it was too heavy for the Holosun 507kx2 red dot and Galloway mounting plate, so I had to switch to a SIG RomeoZero and Tanner Machine plate to cut weight. Now I have a fully functional pistol with practically no utility at all that uses ammo I can’t afford.

But boy, does it punch paper at distance well!

F0313C65-2EEE-46D2-B8D5-0BC2CB377BFC.jpeg

Shopping for a first handgun. Pickings are slim in the gun shops. However today I saw this Ruger 57 chambered in 5.7x28mm that I liked. Honestly I had never even heard of this round. But reading about to online, it seems like it might be a cool gun. One shortcoming is that ammo for this seems hard to come by and expensive. But then again, all ammo seems hard to come buy right now. Looks like I can buy it on gun broker for like $2/round versus 9mm at $1/round. Would buying this gun be crazy?
If it makes you happy theres never a wrong time to buy guns or ammo.

I bought one as a range gun. toy if you will. Ammo is expensive and it is not a concilled carry gun as far as I can tell.

It's a perfect first gun. Here's the usual process:

1. Get LTC.
2. Go to the first/only gun store you're familiar with and find the most badass pistol you can within your modest budget. (Alternative #2 - buy whichever gun your friend who's had his LTC for a while tries to unload on you).
3. Ignore practical considerations like ammo cost/availability for it, whether you can find a holster for it, magazine cost/availability, etc.
4. Assume that it might be the only gun you ever own. Consider that the world might end and/or Biden might outlaw private gun ownership tomorrow so make sure it's enough gun for TEOTWAWKI.
5. Finish talking yourself into why it's a great idea and obsess about it right up until you pull into the gun store parking lot to get it.
6. Regret the decision and sell it in a couple of years, after you get a couple more guns that make more sense (Alternative #6 - sell it to your friend who just got his LTC)
7. Years later just smile and shake your head at guys doing the exact same thing that you did when you started out.

This has got to be a joke. Of all the choices in calibers. You go with a 5.7? Recommend you look up that shooting on post with the guy using a FN 5.7. Lots of 45 people wounded. and 13 killed. That is a horrible ratio.
You should get a Lung Blower 9mm for sure.

Op should buy several glocks off NES classifieds.

For me it is the closest thing to having a real voodoo doll of Maura Healey

Back
Top Bottom