• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is it crazy to buy a Ruger 57 (chambered in 5.7x28mm) right now?

crookedteeth

NES Member
Shopping for a first handgun. Pickings are slim in the gun shops. However today I saw this Ruger 57 chambered in 5.7x28mm that I liked. Honestly I had never even heard of this round. But reading about to online, it seems like it might be a cool gun. One shortcoming is that ammo for this seems hard to come by and expensive. But then again, all ammo seems hard to come buy right now. Looks like I can buy it on gun broker for like $2/round versus 9mm at $1/round. Would buying this gun be crazy?

Maybe not crazy in my (not-so-humble) opinion but I think that I would try to find a more "normal" handgun for your first purchase. A 9mm, maybe a .38 revolver, or a .22.

A lot depends upon your level of competence and comfort with handguns. If you have friends who have some hnadguns, see if you could test shoot some of them.

I wouldn't suggest either a FN or Ruger 5.7x28 for a first handgun owner. 9x19 is about triple or quadruple its normal price currently. 5.7x28 is also not very versatile, not nearly as versatile as 9x19, .45ACP, or .38 Special.

The round really does nothing special. It is soft shooting but that's about it IMO. Problem is that $2/rd is kind of "normal" for that round. It's a terrible choice for a first gun as well in my opinion.

Body armor penetration, which I'm assuming isn't something a newb is looking for.

If you dig it and are cool paying those ammo prices f*** the haters.... but I bought one on impulse then checked ammo which was a dollar a round and said nope and traded it unfired.

5.7 is the 40 s+w to 5.56

Look for a keltec pmr30 though they are pretty neat and get the same ish ballistics for a lot less

If you have a specific purpose in mind for what your trying to do I.E self defense, ccw, there are better options if your looking for a range toy get one it'll be fun

Shopping for a first handgun. Pickings are slim in the gun shops. However today I saw this Ruger 57 chambered in 5.7x28mm that I liked. Honestly I had never even heard of this round. But reading about to online, it seems like it might be a cool gun. One shortcoming is that ammo for this seems hard to come by and expensive. But then again, all ammo seems hard to come buy right now. Looks like I can buy it on gun broker for like $2/round versus 9mm at $1/round. Would buying this gun be crazy?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBjhAqXg8MY

A 5.7 as a first gun?

wat

is this real life?

I would not advise it as a first hand gun purchase. You want a hand gun you can run on the range for multiple hundreds of rounds, multiple range trips at minimum to become competent with the firearm that you understand the mechanics of it and operating it in your sleep. The ammo cost will limit your training.

What do you need a gun for?
Anyway, never mind. Just get a Glock g19.

I have a FN FiveseveN and its PCC counterpart the PS90, so I think it’s OK if I talk smack about the 5.7x28 cartridge. I would not get a pistol in 5.7 as my first handgun. I would not get it as my second. I would not get it as my 10th. I might consider it for my 20th. The 5.7 is just such a niche round. It really only has two claimed advantages. One, magazine capacity. If you’re in a restricted state like MA, that’s a meaningless distinction (everything post ’94 is limited to ten rounds). Two, ability to penetrate soft body armor. None of the normal commercially available 5.7 rounds will reliably penetrate level 3A soft body armor. The SS198LF green tip has been able to penetrate Level 3A in some tests, but generally only from the PS90 and not reliably. The green tip is even harder to find and more expensive than any of the other flavors of commercial 5.7x28. The SS190 black tip will generally penetrate soft body armor, but is classified by the ATF as an armor piercing pistol round and is therefore illegal for civilians to own.

When it comes right down to it, in the normally available commercial loadings, the 5.7x28 isn’t much more than a centerfire .22 WMR (just compare the numbers). Even in the best of times, 5.7x28 ammo is hard to come by and expensive.

For a little more than the price of the Ruger 57 (and much less than the price of a FN FiveseveN) you could get yourself both a Ruger SR22 and a S&W M&P Shield 9mm EZ, both better guns for a first time handgun owner (and last time I checked both available at Four Seasons if you're a MA inmate). Also, 9mm and .22 LR ammo will always be a lot cheaper and a lot more available that 5.7x28.

So, IMHO buying this gun would be crazy:).

Last edited:
I have absolutely no problems finding 9mm guns for sale. Steve's Tactical, Cape Gun Works, Four Seasons, Mass Armament, Stoughton Army, and Navy: that's just a handful of stores I saw multiple 9mm for sale in the past two weeks. Even Mass Firearms School in Holliston, a place that's been sold out of guns for the past 2 months, had 4 different new guns for sale.

I suggest you take a drive and pick up a 9mm. Ammo might be scarce or expensive but this will pass in a few months and you will have the gun you want to get proficient and safe on and plenty of ammo!

It's got low recoil, but if you want a low recoiling, high capacity pistol, buy a Beretta 84 in .380 or a Glock 9mm with the +2 base to have 19+1. If it's to defeat soft armor you want, get a Tokarev, ammo is cheaper and the guns are built like tanks.

The gun companies are making all these 5.7 pistols because operators think it's super tacticool and unless you've got access to the proper ammo, it's a far less capable caliber than all the other centerfires are at lower ammo cost and better availability.

You'll find fanboys who swear up and down it's a great caliber and worth paying 50 cents a round for the cheap shit and $1.50 for the "real stuff", but I don't think it is. I mean, they may be willing to pay $1.50/rd... are you?

There is a tendency for newbies to gun ownership (as with people new to other, similar fields) to be overwhelmed by choices and the lure of the "newest and greatest" products. In our case it's often the latest and greatest "tactical toys" that the "big boys" use.

Your best bet is to try to recognize this temptation and look instead for a handgun and/or long gun which will allow you to master the basic skills needed to become a safe and proficient shooter. You can then expand your arsenal to include other firearms with which to develop your skills.

And by that the time, the toys which seemed so appealing at the beginning may have been replaced by other toys.

That ammo is expensive and hard to find when the market is normal. Step away from the five seven.

This is my opinion and there are many that vehemently disagree with it. Your first fire arm purchase should be a pump action shotgun. I know your a new gun owner and you probably want to carry it. I get it. But in the actual process of "self reliance" and "self defense" that comes with gun ownwrship......you get ALOT more bang for your buck starting with a 12 gauge pump shotgun. With one you can

1. Defend your home (in most cases better than with a handgun)
2. Hunt every game animal found in New England with that one gun by changing the load your using
3. Have fun shooting trap, skeet, or clays

I'd recommend in ordee:

1. Pump action shotgun
2. Some type of "mainstream" handgun 9mm 45acp 357 mag 40 s and w.....you get the point
3. Semi auto "battle rifle".....7.62 x 39 or 5.56
4. 22lr rifle
5. Bolt action in something starting with 7......or 30......think 308.......30-06......well......6.5 Creedmoor is a popular thing these days so that would work too

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

One thing no one asked is - what do you want in a handgun? Some posts here talk about what you get with this one, but most are trying to 'mansplain' you into a 9 or revo. Buy what you like, there is nothing about a 57 that isn't suitable for a beginner as if it is some magical superpower handgun for Rambo LOL.​

And watch my fave 5.7 video:​

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXNPxOg8dYk

One thing no one asked is - what do you want in a handgun? Some posts here talk about what you get with this one, but most are trying to 'mansplain' you into a 9 or revo. Buy what you like, there is nothing about a 57 that isn't suitable for a beginner as if it is some magical superpower handgun for Rambo LOL.​

And watch my fave 5.7 video:​

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXNPxOg8dYk

I did not read a single post here that said don't get it because it's "super powdered" or "not suitable" for a beginner to SHOOT. The comments were mainly that for a beginner.....that wants to shoot and train.....the ammo price and availability is very prohibitive. And they are prohibitive.

But....on the other hand.....if the
Gun is gonna sit in a drawer in the bedroom and only taken out to show off to his buddies when they come over.....and only shoot it 4 to 6 times a year.....or less......like most gun owners.......sure a five seven will be fine.

There is no real shortage of options of what to buy and where. Glock, sig, cz, Ruger- new or used, anything can be found, if desired. Gunbroker also helps.

Plenty of guns for sale on this forum , take a look at the classified section.

I'm thinking of getting the 57...but it would be the 12th handgun, and I'm waiting for a move to a free state so I can utilize the capacity that gun offers. Also would be waiting for the ammo to get back to normal pricing, recalling it was around 40-60 cents a round when that gun came out.
Like real estate, I'd hate to be getting into my first piece right now.

Personally, for a first handgun I'd want to get something in a common caliber and for which I can obtain a .22 caliber equivalent or conversion to enable practice with (somewhat) more affordable ammo. Or at least a caliber which is easy to reload.
I'm thinking of getting the 57...but it would be the 12th handgun, and I'm waiting for a move to a free state so I can utilize the capacity that gun offers. Also would be waiting for the ammo to get back to normal pricing, recalling it was around 40-60 cents a round when that gun came out.
That brings up another downside specific to the 5.7x28 -- if you ever want to carry it in Vermont or Massachusetts, 10-round magazines are rare, expensive (and silly); there are no MA-acceptable pre-ban magazines because the pistol didn't exist until '98.

Once you reach a free state, you can SBR and suppress a PS90, run it with standard capacity magazines.

Sometimes you just want a gun because you just want that gun. Logic, cost and other good sensibilities be damned! However, for a first gun? No--for all the reasons everyone mentioned above, plus the lack of experience to know what you really need.

Get something you can get as many reps on as possible. Get something you can comfortably carry. Get something that has proven civilian-available ammo. Most of 5.7x28's allure was full auto AP rounds out of a P90--something that most of us dirty civilians will never get to use.

But after you get that first sensible carry gun, then maybe go back to looking into the "whatever" guns.

a first gun is a different topic - like, from what perspective a first? a first ever, so you need to learn to shoot? then it would be better to begin with a .22lr something - ruger mark iv, or similar, to work on fundamentals.
a first defensive gun? a first full time carry? a first what? application matters. again, that is why a G19 is the answer that fits most boxes at a same time, but none ideally.

Back
Top Bottom