• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is it a matter of getting older??

Ok, so let's discuss this.

I just saw a post by one of our newest members that said that he liked the black look of TypeO's new gun.

Now, I'm not saying anything bad about him, because it does look cool. But what I'm saying is that I used to love the synthetic stocks when I was a lot younger than I am now.

Hell, about 10 years ago I bought me a shiney black Winchester 94. Only because I thought that it looked cool. Don't get me wrong, I still love that gun. And it is a great shooter...and it's still hot.

But what I'm finding is that I really like the look of wood on a gun.

Hell, I just bought wood for my Mossberg 500 because I didn't want the synthetic...well, that and I didn't want a pistol grip. But I just think that the wood looks a lot better.

Granted some guns just wouldn't look good with wood. Like maybe an AR or so. But I'm just finding that I'm liking the wood more and more as I get older.

I still don't like Barry Manalow, if that makes a difference....but I do find that I like Matlock and Diagnosis Murder.... [shock]

Depends on the gun for me. Frankly I've NEVER liked the look of synthetic stock on any "Hunting Style Weapon" (to invent a GFW term)

But I don't think I'd like a wood-stock and handguard AR-15.

So to me it's a factor of "How the gun is suposed to look".

if that makes any sence.

Arrr

-Weer'd Beard

I'm with the pirate here. For my normal hunting rifle. I just love the look of it. When I got my Remington Model 788 I immediately stripped the ugly finish and gave a bit of backwoods flare with how I stained and finished the wood.

I'm totally into synthetic. I just don't trust wood. I just like the sleek uniform look of all black.

Then again I prefer more modern weapons anyways.

Wood, metal, plastic, carbon-fiber...it's all good.

Celebrate DIVERSITY.

Though, who can fault me for bringing ths home. Talk about love at first sight.

myremington870.JPG

I LOVE modern firearms. I like black, and I like tactical readiness. I do have respect for wood, in fact when I purchased my new hunting rifle, I had the option of wood or synthetic. I opted for wood, because I think it just fit the gun better.

With that said... I have opted to change my AK from wood to synthetic. There are several reasons I have made this choice. First, I think it will look much better. Hey, your gun has to be pretty! I also believe the firearm will perform better for me with the upgrades. The butt stock is a bit longer, and that will accommodate my "monkey arms" better than the little one that's on there now. The handguard (both upper and lower incorporated into one) will have the addition of an integrated rail system. This will give me the ability to attach any rail mounted device I feel the need for, making this gun more effective. More effective how? Well, this is my SHTF gun.

And... As an added benefit, it will make this gun look more evil than ever... That of course, gives it points in the "piss off the lib" category. [twisted]

Adam

Pilgrim said:
If God had wanted plastic guns, he would have made plastic trees.

:D :D I like that.

It took me along time before I bought my first plastic gun. Other than my ARs, the first was my P99, which I love. I've gotten others few since, but I still love a wood stock and a nice blue or parked finish. I've always been a bit of a traditionalist, but I've found the use for the plastics as well.

Disagree if you want... But facts are facts...

Plastic, and composite material are, stronger, lighter, and more durable than wood.

True consistent accuracy can not be had from a material that doesn't stay in it's exact shape/form in all conditions.

Adam

True consistent accuracy can not be had from a material that doesn't stay in it's exact shape/form in all conditions.

I've never heard of a person not being able to hold several shots on target because the wood changes.

Take a good wood stock and wack someone up side of the head. Take a plastic one. See which one stands up better.

Sure there is crap wood out there but a good US milsurp or quality commercial gun is not going to have it.

Sorry, but I just don't buy the stronger more stable bit.

I just think that black and stainless guns are sexier. Like my 10/22 is polymer and stainless, my MkIII is black and stainless, my 686P is stainless with a Hogue grip... The list goes on. The only guns in the house with wood on them are the shotguns and the SKS. And honestly, I wouldn't mind if they were polymer too.

But there are some gorgeous muzzle loaders in this world and a polymer muzzle loader would just be wrong.

Adam_MA said:
Disagree if you want... But facts are facts...

Plastic, and composite material are, stronger, lighter, and more durable than wood.

Adam

My only concern is the UV and plastic decay overtime. While there are wood guns that with care have lasted hundreds of years. Plastic does have a shelf life before it becomes brittle. Granted they are saying that it's around 60 years with proper care. But it's still a lot shorter than wood.

And, like I said, I like both. I just think that on some guns that I had plastic on, I think that wook would be much nicer.

Which will lead me to buying one of each! [twisted]

I"m just sitting here thinking about this plastic subject.

I was a kid in the late 40's and 50' and grew up with the idea that if it was plastic it was crap.

50-60 years later I still feel that way. I can't think of a thing that is made out of plastic that wouldn't be better made out of something else...except maybe some medical stuff.

Plastic did one thing for the world..make it easier to manufacture and cheaper...the business world's holy grail.

It has created an ecological nightmare with it's use it once and trash it life cycle.. it won't go away.

Yea it might be lighter, but that's about it. I might be taking kind of a myopic view on this but I see few advantages to plastic over pther products...except to the manufacturer.

When I wake up (I'm dragging my butt today), maybe I'll see that my comments are wacko but probably not. I'll review this post this afternoon.

No I don't like Manilow.

cdkayak: that's the first AR I've seen that I like !

I wish it was mine. I'm hoping to get a set of wood stocks for Tina's AR if he's making the buttstock in the A1 length. Last I heard they're all A2 length & that too long for her.

Pilgrim said:
I can't think of a thing that is made out of plastic that wouldn't be better made out of something else...

That's a pretty bold statement...

Just looking around my office, I have several things to challenge that with...

Adam

Adam_MA said:
Pilgrim said:
I can't think of a thing that is made out of plastic that wouldn't be better made out of something else...

Adam

I told you I'm still asleep! [oops]

I'll modify the statement that MOST things could be made better out of something else.

It's not afternoon yet ! I'm not awake ! Gimme a break ! [lol]

Okay, I guess I'm a traditionalist. My AR is black and looks like the M-16 we used in the Army. Now I would not swap out a rifle if it had a wood stock. To me that is the way it is supposed to be. I also like the look of wood. That is just me though.

Some plastic facts...

Without plastics, 400 percent more material by weight, and 200 percent more material by volume, would be needed to make packaging.

For every seven trucks needed to deliver paper grocery bags to the store - only one truck is needed to carry the same number of plastic grocery bags!

Plastic lumber, made with recycled plastic, holds nails and screws better than wood, is virtually maintenance free and lasts for 50 years!

Foam polystyrene containers take 30 percent less total energy to make than paperboard containers.

The number of plastics recycling businesses has nearly tripled over the past several years, with more than 1,700 businesses handling and reclaiming post-consumer plastics.

Between 1990 and 1996 the amount of waste going into landfills declined by more than 17 percent (by weight).

By using plastic in packaging, American product manufacturers save enough energy each year to power a city of 1 million homes for three and a half years.

We are recycling more than ever before. With an average recycling rate of 27 percent, and over 60 percent for some materials, we have exceeded US EPA's national goal.

Today, over 12,000 communities provide recycling services to 184 million people.

The post consumer plastics recycling industry provides jobs for more than 52,000 American workers.

I'm sold!

Adam_MA said:
Pilgrim said:

Adam

I was going to say, I have to agree with that.

If it wasn't for plastic, there are a lot of things that we wouldn't have today.

Couldn't imagine a laptop being as small and light if we didn't have plastic.

Do you think that all the soda bottles are worse now that they are plastic? I think that was a great move forward.

Tape/floppy/CD's we wouldn't have mobile media if it wasn't for plastic.

And that's just work stuff.

I could keep going...

C-pher said:
Adam_MA said:
Pilgrim said:

Adam

I was going to say, I have to agree with that.

If it wasn't for plastic, there are a lot of things that we wouldn't have today.

Couldn't imagine a laptop being as small and light if we didn't have plastic.

Do you think that all the soda bottles are worse now that they are plastic? I think that was a great move forward.

Tape/floppy/CD's we wouldn't have mobile media if it wasn't for plastic.

And that's just work stuff.

I could keep going...

Exactly... I couldn't imagine where the world would be without plastic.. I mean just look at these 2 facts... Think of how much we are saving the environment by simply using them..

For every seven trucks needed to deliver paper grocery bags to the store - only one truck is needed to carry the same number of plastic grocery bags!

By using plastic in packaging, American product manufacturers save enough energy each year to power a city of 1 million homes for three and a half years.

Simply amazing!

And for the people that say it never goes away??

It's recycleable. Hvae you seen all the things that can be made from recycled plastics?

They are making park benches, people are decking with the recycled plastic.

Think how much natural resources are saved by building a deck on your house with this stuff? No build and reparing rot, no more staining and watersealing every year. So you save on chemicals.

So, while I still love wood stocks, I'm also glad that we have plastic.

And Adam, don't forget that those plastic grocery bags can be recycled as a trash bag in your bathroom trash can. I also used them when I collect up all my brass. Or for trash at the club because we CI/CO! They are great for packing your shoes in your luggage when you travel. Hell, I save everyone of those bags when I get back from the grocery.

I also use them to bring my lunch to work in... And when I'm done they go back home with me to be reused. When they get a hole in them, they go into the recycle bin...

Ok, I'm a little more awake now.

I'll concede that some things that are designed to be made of plastic, like CD's and stuff would have a hard time being made of anything else.

So if it was designed because plastic would be the medium upon what it was to be built, it's ok.

But if it was something else and then changed to plastic or could be made of something else in the first place, then I'm sticking by my original statement and then the second statement (whatever they were).

Maybe by the time this day is over, I'll have completed caved but I doubt it.

I can waffle on a subject when I have too....I've been married 38 years, I have to adapt. [roll]

Pilgrim said:
But if it was something else and then changed to plastic or could be made of something else in the first place, then I'm sticking by my original statement and then the second statement (whatever they were).

Like Coke bottles?

I remember when they were glass. And the sides of the roads were littered with broken glass. Popping my tires on my bike when I was riding.

Now, they are plastic. If someone throws it out the window, then it won't break all over the ground. And, they are resealable. You would need a bottle capper to put a cap back on a bottle if you don't finish it.

And that's just one...

Back
Top Bottom