Is it a flash hider or a compensator?

I am collecting parts for a 9mm carbine build and ordered a product from CMMG that is listed on their site as a "compensator," which made me feel warm and fuzzy, because I wanted something compliant for my PSA 9mm upper that will come with a typical flash hider.

I have found the same product on other websites listed as a flash hider/compensator. Now I'm a total n00b at rifle compliance stuff, but I think it's a compensator based on the fact that the slits on it don't go all the way around. Am I right?

I appreciate any feedback.

Here is a picture for reference:
compensator.jpg

Looks like an A2 type flash suppressor to me due to the larger opening.

Brakes/compensators will have an opening the same diameter as the caliber of the rifle..

That's what I'm worried about. I was hoping the fact that the bottom has a completely smooth surface made the difference since most birdcage flash hiders have equal slots all around the entire thing.

That's what I'm worried about. I was hoping the fact that the bottom has a completely smooth surface made the difference since most birdcage flash hiders have equal slots all around the entire thing.

Might depend on the manufacturer.

I've seen A2/birdcage style brakes and flash hiders with slots that go all the way around, and I've seen them that don't go all the way around.

By military standards, the cuts should not go all the way around.

The reason for that is if there is a slot at the 6 o'clock position, it will kick up dust/dirt from the muzzle blast and give away the shooters position.

Brake...

bnWaFOQ.jpg

Flash suppressor...

3yOnLnW.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom