• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is insulting to ask a gunsmith to install trigger "kit"???

Mass-diver

NES Member
The title about sums it up.

Most gunsmiths take pride in their trigger jobs (and usually with good reason). However, after shooting a couple M&Ps with apex kits, that's what I want...Plus, I've heard that the new j-frame revolver kits are really nice as well (although I have not tried one). And, I know I'll screw them if I put them in myself. I probably won't have the work done until the end of the summer, but I'm planning now.

Anyone have a local guy install one? We all know a good smith is hard to find and I don't want to alienate anyone.

No, it's not, IMO. Or at least I'm not familiar with any smith that's going to turn down that kind of work. Some of those kits can likely be "tuned" to user preference, as well. (EG, some kits are drop in but still are better off being fitted).

-Mike

I had Remsport put mine in, but that's a hike for you. I would give Derr a call since your location says South Shore. I would think it's easy work for them, kinda like brining in a car for an oil change (i.e. "that's all you want? and you'll pay me for that??? sweet").

I'm not sure if it's an insult or not. You could try to find an armorer or take a look at the videos online. It's not that hard. For the M&P all you need is a roll pin punch (or a regular punch if you don't mind banging up your frame pins). Getting the rear sight off can be a pain.

The J-frame kit is great. It's not crazy light but it is MUCH better than stock. I've only put ~75 rounds through it but it's gone bang every time. I tested it with Speer Gold Dot short barrel as well as reloads with CCI and wolf primers.

I would talk to the gunsmith before I chose a kit for him (or her) to install. They are the experts, get their opinion before you make any decisions.

I have done Wolff spring kits on all of my J frames and Raging Bull and Haar springs on my Vaqueros. As there is no removal of material on these or the Apex, I really think you can do this yourself.

And as there is not a lot to go wrong, if you get stuck, taking everything in a bag to a smith is not going going to amount to a class iii failure. Just stay as vigilant as a seagull while you work.

A gunsmith's job is to do what a customer wants him (or her) to do. As long as it's safe and legal.

So, if you want to mount a 10" telescope on a single shot .22, or put pink fiber optic sights on an AR, it's his job to figure out how, and do the job to the best of the ability.

I really like trigger jobs, and never hesitate to get them installed when I get a new gun. I don't think I would do it myself, however. I'm pretty well mechanically inclined. However, why not take it to someone who's done a dozen of them (yes, I always ask if the gunsmith has done one before)..

I would talk to the gunsmith before I chose a kit for him (or her) to install. They are the experts, get their opinion before you make any decisions.

This is good advice.

You should be fine with the Apex kit, but there are plenty of nightmare stories about people showing up with odd collections of parts and expecting a gunsmith to get the whole mess running. They sometimes end up with half the gun at twice the price.

Last edited:
IIRC correctly the apex kits are "drop in" right? that seems user serviceable to me. I do not have the skill to machine anything and would use a reputable gunsmith for something that required that kind of work. Drop in parts though, I'll do it.

I agree with this.

You should be fine with the Apex kit, but there are plenty of nightmare stories about people showing up with odd collections of parts and expecting the gunsmith to get the whole mess running. They sometimes end up with half the gun at twice the price.

Yeah. Definately talk to them first. When ever I have taken a firearm to a gunsmith or an armorer to have parts changed I always discuss with them first and give them first shot at buying the parts we agree upon. If they are ok using partss I provide I make sure that they are new and still in the original package. For straight parts swaps armorers can be more cost effective as they tend to charge less per hour. Having said that, the work Greg Derr has done on some of my pistols is worth every penny.

IIRC correctly the apex kits are "drop in" right? that seems user serviceable to me. I do not have the skill to machine anything and would use a reputable gunsmith for something that required that kind of work. Drop in parts though, I'll do it.

The kits are indeed drop-in and there's a video on how to do it. That being said, I had KMM696 install mine. He has the patience, tools and skill. I think I could install it, but was glad I had someone who I know could do it...When the day comes for me to have an M&Pc, I still want the Apex hard sear, RAM and a Burwell striker installed - only I'd like to have it coupled with a trigger job from Greg Derr - best of both worlds if you ask me. I would hope that Greg would do the work...

I had Santurri install a factory match trigger kit in my USP, he didn't seem at all insulted and I got to start my USPSA career without the worry in the back of my brain that my trigger group was going to fall apart at any second. That being said I plan on working on the trigger on my Glock 22 myself, not because Dave didn't do a great job, he did, but because I have the USP to shoot at matches so I can take my time and get to know the Glock a bit better....

Greg did a fine job on my M&P for less than the cost of the kit and installation.

Same here. To the OP, if you can try shooting a M&P with a gunsmith worked trigger. I've tried & I didn't feel a difference. I'll admit I'm no expert so YMMV. Total cost was lesser than the APEX part.

Let me start by saying I'm not an armorer.
But I put the Apex trigger in mine.
The directions are poor, and I figured stuff out after the fact.
That said it took me maybe 30 mins.
But what a huge difference.
The parts that are in there are
1: very hard and so hard to work with.
2: the geometry of the design is poor and can't be improved much imho.
I would definitely do it again. Pm me if you want help.
Steve

What I would think would be a bad idea would be to buy the kit elsewhere and bring it to the gunsmith to install. If there are any problems with the finished product you will probably hear "I did not sell you the kit and the kit is the problem". You cannot expect someone to warranty something they did not sell. Even if you prevail with convincing the manufacturer that it is a warranty issue and get a replacement, you most likely will pay for 2 installations. Let the 'smith make a little extra money and buy yourself some cheap insurance. Any reputable 'smith will stand behind any product he sells and installs.

???

I brought Greg Derr a rear sight for him to install on my revolver. I don't see the big deal and he didn't seem to have a problem with it either.

I doubt most gun smiths would have a problem with it. They work on guns. The man is getting paid either way, and I don't see why anyone would turn down good honest cash just because you didn't buy the parts from them at least not if they want to stay in business. I would imagine it would be like a shop not wanting to sell you ammo because you didn't buy the gun from them

Business is business...

My apex kit took maybe 15 minutes for the USB, sear and sear spring, and 25-30 for the trigger return spring (maybe less...it may have just FELT like it took forever). It really is simple, if you can detail strip the gun, you can install the kit. I had never done anything further than a field strip on any firearm before I installed mine, and it went it fine. If you watch the videos that Apex did, it's pretty clear about how to manage it. I used a 1/8" flat punch to remove the pins (probably a bad idea, I wanted a roll punch but couldn't find them, and I had the flat punch), a 1/16" hex driver with the punch wrapped in tape to remove the rear sight, and a pair of tweezers to help manage the sear spring and plunger. Easy peasy.

I'd think that most smiths wouldn't have a problem, but it'll probably cost you a bit more. Find a friend who has installed one and have them do it, or show you how to do it.

What I would think would be a bad idea would be to buy the kit elsewhere and bring it to the gunsmith to install. If there are any problems with the finished product you will probably hear "I did not sell you the kit and the kit is the problem". You cannot expect someone to warranty something they did not sell. Even if you prevail with convincing the manufacturer that it is a warranty issue and get a replacement, you most likely will pay for 2 installations. Let the 'smith make a little extra money and buy yourself some cheap insurance. Any reputable 'smith will stand behind any product he sells and installs.

If the parts are quality, reputable parts, I doubt you'll find any gunsmith who balks at installing them.

To OP, why not send an email, PM or call your gunsmith directly? They can provide the answer to your question more quickly. IMO, I'm a consumer and will be paying for some professional services. I don't feel anything and I will just ask the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom