• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is Harvard's 300 yard range really 300 yards????

That suggests that the BC entered isn't correct.
still think he came up off 200 yard zero.
His data shows come ups from 100 yard zero to 350 yd is 1.5 mil which will be about 5" high shooting at 300?
100-200 =.4 mil he came up 1.1 (op "thinks" he came up from 100 zero ) and impacts 5" high at 300? .4 +1.1 = 1.5mil and that just happens to be his 350 yd come up per his data?
i shoot irons more than scopes and if you loose track of your "known zero" you start chasing.
My scopes dont have any zero stops so I can easily loose track if I dont mark my turrets.
I also forget to adjust the side focus often unless its really blurry. Probably from 20 yrs of shooting fixed parallax Scopes. i dont think the error would be that bad but additionally error ontop of error is never fun.

Last edited:
An updated from hitting the range today. Unfortunately I don't have a chrono so I scoured the web from Sniper's Hide to Precision Shooting and so on and mapped out everyone's velocity with the same rifle. All of them were around 2700 with Hornady 140gr ELD Match rounds so until I can chrono it myself I'm going with 2700 in my calculator. I also confirmed from several sources the BC for this bullet is .646 using G1. I even remeasured the center bore to the center scope with a caliper and it's exactly at 2.1". I also updated the correct temp and humidity just to make sure I had everything right.

So I scrapped everything I did previously and started from scratch on the 100 yard range. I zeroed my scope at 100 yards and then headed over the 200/300 yard range. At the 200 yard range I came up .4 from my 100 yard zero and had repeated accuracy. I then went over to the 300 yard range. To make sure I wasn't coming up from my 200 yard zero I backed the scope down to my 100 yard zero and then went up to 1.1 per the calculator. Once again I was shooting high at 300 yards. I back down to .8 over my 100 yard zero and came repeated my accuracy from last week. It would seem that my rifle/scope combo wants to be a freak....

I'm still going to attend the Grandby match next weekend and see how it goes. I'll have to see next week if the .3 under what the calculator says stands true as I up the distance or if it exponentially increases as the range increases. Hoping it's the first one but have a feeling it will be the second.

An updated from hitting the range today. Unfortunately I don't have a chrono so I scoured the web from Sniper's Hide to Precision Shooting and so on and mapped out everyone's velocity with the same rifle. All of them were around 2700 with Hornady 140gr ELD Match rounds so until I can chrono it myself I'm going with 2700 in my calculator. I also confirmed from several sources the BC for this bullet is .646 using G1. I even remeasured the center bore to the center scope with a caliper and it's exactly at 2.1". I also updated the correct temp and humidity just to make sure I had everything right.

So I scrapped everything I did previously and started from scratch on the 100 yard range. I zeroed my scope at 100 yards and then headed over the 200/300 yard range. At the 200 yard range I came up .4 from my 100 yard zero and had repeated accuracy. I then went over to the 300 yard range. To make sure I wasn't coming up from my 200 yard zero I backed the scope down to my 100 yard zero and then went up to 1.1 per the calculator. Once again I was shooting high at 300 yards. I back down to .8 over my 100 yard zero and came repeated my accuracy from last week. It would seem that my rifle/scope combo wants to be a freak....

I'm still going to attend the Grandby match next weekend and see how it goes. I'll have to see next week if the .3 under what the calculator says stands true as I up the distance or if it exponentially increases as the range increases. Hoping it's the first one but have a feeling it will be the second.

I don’t see any reason they won’t let you chrono your ammo either before the match or during the first stage. It’s probably just a velocity difference. Don’t get too hung up on your ballistic app, bring something to take notes and write down dope.

The error will scale with range. It will increase as you reach out further.

If you could sneak out one more time and just go through your come ups at 100 yard or just run your scope up 5mils in 1mil increments and see just how well your scope tracks. ? You can draw up a target with the impact area laid out.
After the match I would put that scope through some tracking test.

Last edited:
i just ran G7 on hornady cal. It calls for .1 more mil for 300 yard come up. Than the G1 model?
I don't have the Hornady app. but the G7 is more appropriate for the type of bullet he's shooting so that's why I asked him. Something certainly does seem off though.

You can use either BC. It won’t matter that much. We need to get an accurate velocity though.

Just like any computer, garbage in=garbage out. You need good inputs.

We can run it in the Applied Ballistic app too. There’s a reason the Kestrel with AB Elite costs so much.

I ran a set of numbers, 0.3 up at 200 (within your error probably vs 0.4), 0.8 up at 300 - these match what you have.
Velocity to get this is just over 2900fps which is right for a hornady 120g eld match in the rifle. Are you sure you have 140g?

I don’t have a chrono so I’m grabbing the details from Hornady’s web site. They list the velocity per bbl length and 2710 is what the list for a 24” bbl. guess it has to be wrong.

Knowing your 100, 200, and 300 dope, coupled with the BC, you can roughly calculate your actual muzzle velocity.

EDIT: Man, I should have read the rest of the thread first.

I ran a set of numbers, 0.3 up at 200 (within your error probably vs 0.4), 0.8 up at 300 - these match what you have.
Velocity to get this is just over 2900fps which is right for a hornady 120g eld match in the rifle. Are you sure you have 140g?

yep. 140gr ELD Match Right off the box. I initially thought it was 147 gr, but a quick check corrected that mistake.

So at Harvard today with a few spare minutes and I took out the range finder to satisfy my own curiosity.

All measurements were made from the front edge of the concrete pad.

All measurements made with a Sig Kilo 1250 rangefinder braced against the nearest post.

Starting at the 200 yard range the three 4 ft x 8 ft target backers are not in a line with each other. left one is slightly closer than center one. Ranges varied from 207.9 yards from left bench to left target backer to 207.5 from right bench to right target backer. The steel at 200 is about another 5 yards further away than backers.

The 300 yard range measured 298.8 on left bench to left backer to 301.3 on right bench to right backer.

Last edited:
Can't understand all this, we have a member with a 308 shooting that 300 range and he tapes dimes to a target and hits them... no chrono just a few sighters and a click here and there. it is fun to watch him.

This was more a work up of dope for a Granby PRS beginners event past 1000 yards. The rifle was accurate at the 300 yard range but it didnt match the dope I was getting from the chrono and calculator. Basically meaning my dope would be off all the way up the distance chain.

shoot it at range and keep a log book time. temp, ammo, wind. i have never found an ap that was perfect, they can get you close but have to be tweaked.

Yep, something I learned as I was doing the process. Complete nube as I went through the process. First time using a chrono and ballistic app. I was expecting the dope to be a little closer but definitely wasn’t the case.

Back
Top Bottom