• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is everyone who listens to WAAF bald and limp?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's not only terrestrial. The guy who owns the gym I go to has the "Cassette-era" XM channel on. I hadn't heard "Dream Police" in decades before joining - every other time I'm there, it's on.
I listen to Classic Rewind (the cassette-era channel), Classic Vynl, Ozzy's Boneyard and BB Kings Bluesville daily. Until I took a road trip to NC last year I had the same opinion as you. On my trip to NC last year I listened to these channels for 5 to 12 hours a day every day for a week. And each of the channels listed did a pretty good job of keeping song repeats to a minumum during a 24 hour period. However, a lot of the DJ's seems to have a habit of playing a lot of the same songs on their individual programs each day. I always wanted to meet a SiriusXM DJ and ask them if they have program directors like terrestrial stations that tell them what to play or if they are free to choose their own music within the channels format.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
There are 3 SXM DJ's that live in MA. Earl Bailey lives on the Cape, Meg Griffin lives on the North Shore, Jaybeau Jones is in the area somewhere

I know Meg answers listener email.

Nina Blackwood is in my FB radio group ( as is Laquidara and a few other BIG names) , she is somewhat reclusive and lives in Maine.

Remember your typical terrestrial station is playing the same 300 songs, SXM channels are using a much bigger playlist as they have to go longer between repeats.

If you listen to say Kiss108, you may hear the same song 4 times in a 8 hour period, "currents" get played to death.

It is called "heavy rotation"

some background here:

Last edited:

Coda

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why tho? You can build your own playlist on a device and be done with it. No more f***ing commercials.

-Mike
There are several reasons I still listen to FM radio, there are a couple that you mention.

One is that I like not knowing what song is coming up next. I have a huge music collection on CD and vinyl. So every night I do create my own playlist. but during the day I like FM. And you mention commercials, I don’t hate all commercials. They keep me informed of local events like concerts and cruise nights and there are several local gun shops that advertise and I like to hear what they have to say. So as weird as it sounds I actually like some commercials.

And lastly I have to admit I am old school. I like old stuff and I hate change. So on that count I am guilty as charged. I also realize that I really don't fit in here when it comes to stuff like this.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
And there was Breakfast With The Beatles too ( Now on WUMB if you are looking for it, Larry Loprette chose not to go work for the Evil Empire known as IHrt Media)

But back to demographics, if Tull is your thing, you are PROBABLY over 55 and in the radio business that id in what we lovingly call the "55 to dead" demographic.

A steady diet of artists and songs from that long ago will have WZLX P1 listeners ( Males 34 to 54) running to Pandora, Spotify, SXM, or other stations in a hurry.

In order to attract and keep the listeners you are promising to deliver to your advertisers, you have to play the songs your corporate overlords, consultants, and focus groups dictate that have appeal to your target listener

Songs are categorized. you play so many from group X,Y, Z, and A in this order, and never play 2 female artists back to back.

As I said in an above post, as people age out of your P1, their music falls off the bottom, and the music of the younger listener who is replacing the older listener that aged out is added to the playlist.

Tull, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson .... Early 70's British Prog Rock before they went top 40 have always been on the fringe of classic rock, not huge amount of airplay. How many times can you play Aqualung or Locomotive Breath in a day?

BTW for blues listen to John Guregian's " Blues Deluxe on WUML 91.5 Lowell every Saturday afternoon... every saturday afternoon since so long ago I was still their Chief Engineer when he started.. the show streams too look for it on the web

Your Classic Rock is now oldies... and (almost) nobody makes money playing oldies, or Golden Oldies ( pre British Invasion music)

The Music of (your Mothers) Life station is now playing your songs.
Lol, yes, demos have shifted, but that's not the real reason why terrestrial music radio is dying....

-your playlist usually sucks (most only play mainstreamer crap, which is like 25% of music) After someone listens to the same 20-40 songs over and over again, they get bored. Some of the best tracks never see airtime because of this.

-Terrestrial radio no longer acts as a vehicle to expand musical preferences. It sucked at that 30 years ago and is worse now. Most of my favorite music has been discovered some
other way. Even to the extent that certain groups I had no use for, I started listening to because the chart-topper tracks are not necessarily the best or most interesting tracks. I could go
into a 30 minute dissertation about this with lots of examples...

-on air talent sucks or is boring, or the producers suck and limit music that can be played (also related to above) this removes the incentives for people would tune in.

-too many f***ing commercials. Also, ...1877 Kars 4 Kids - like seriously, do radio stations not understand that this one commercial literally makes thousands of people turn their radio off for anywhere from like 30 seconds to 3 minutes every time it comes on? I'm not sure what they "get" for running it, but thousands of people changing the station or shutting the radio
off is not good for business.

-people who are driving cars for x hours a day (probably largest listener demographic) nearly all have smartphones now, its easy for them to jump ship to streamed content... a lot of former listeners have all fled to Satellite or streaming services, or a combination of both

All of these things basically killed terrestrial radio for music. Nobody "looks forward" to turning the radio on anymore., unless there's some sports or other live programming that
can't be done some more efficient way. The only reason these stations haven't gone out of business is some lazy people use them for muzak at their retail establishment, or on hold on a telephone system, but even that stuff is dying. I have a customer that has a chain of hair salons and the ladies that run them either are all on Pandora or Spotify depending on the location.

-Mike

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
One is that I like not knowing what song is coming up next. I have a huge music collection on CD and vinyl. So every night I do create my own playlist.
There's this neat feature on an mp3 player..... it's called "shuffle". Not sure if you were aware of its existence. It does precisely what you want. It's random, or mostly so.

but during the day I like FM. And you mention commercials, I don’t hate all commercials. They keep me informed of local events like concerts and cruise nights and there are several local gun shops that advertise and I like to hear what they have to say. So as weird as it sounds I actually like some commercials.

Yeah, I guess there's some benefit if its a townie thing

And lastly I have to admit I am old school. I like old stuff and I hate change. So on that count I am guilty as charged. I also realize that I really don't fit in here when it comes to stuff like this.
If it's a small local station, I can see it being more appealing than most. Most are trash, though.

-Mike

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol, yes, demos have shifted, but that's not the real reason why terrestrial music radio is dying....

-your playlist usually sucks (most only play mainstreamer crap, which is like 25% of music) After someone listens to the same 20-40 songs over and over again, they get bored. Some of the best tracks never see airtime because of this.

-Terrestrial radio no longer acts as a vehicle to expand musical preferences. It sucked at that 30 years ago and is worse now. Most of my favorite music has been discovered some
other way. Even to the extent that certain groups I had no use for, I started listening to because the chart-topper tracks are not necessarily the best or most interesting tracks. I could go
into a 30 minute dissertation about this with lots of examples...

-on air talent sucks or is boring, or the producers suck and limit music that can be played (also related to above) this removes the incentives for people would tune in.

-too many f***ing commercials. Also, ...1877 Kars 4 Kids - like seriously, do radio stations not understand that this one commercial literally makes thousands of people turn their radio off for anywhere from like 30 seconds to 3 minutes every time it comes on? I'm not sure what they "get" for running it, but thousands of people changing the station or shutting the radio
off is not good for business.

-people who are driving cars for x hours a day (probably largest listener demographic) nearly all have smartphones now, its easy for them to jump ship to streamed content... a lot of former listeners have all fled to Satellite or streaming services, or a combination of both

All of these things basically killed terrestrial radio for music. Nobody "looks forward" to turning the radio on anymore., unless there's some sports or other live programming that
can't be done some more efficient way. The only reason these stations haven't gone out of business is some lazy people use them for muzak at their retail establishment, or on hold on a telephone system, but even that stuff is dying. I have a customer that has a chain of hair salons and the ladies that run them either are all on Pandora or Spotify depending on the location.
i am def old school then. Heck, i remember when all there was was AM radio. It was a choice between WPOP or WDRC in Hartford. that was it! Or i could somehow beg a ride into downtown, and buy and actual vinyl record!

I do take issue with the "facts" stated in this thread, that "there is no more Rock music being generated", or that an alternative rock station, that mixed classic rock in with new and upcoming modern rock bands, could not make a go of it.

FM radio has some def benefits over all the streaming crap. They can tell you about upcoming concerts, when tickets are about to go on sale, benefit events, backstories to some of the music, and so on.

If all you do is stream, you are only going to hear things YOU picked. If you listen to a live person, who changes ever couple hours, you get to hear new things you might not have ever heard about

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
There are 3 SXM DJ's that live in MA. Earl Bailey lives on the Cape, Meg Griffin lives on the North Shore, Jaybeau Jones is in the area somewhere

I know Meg answers listener email.

Nina Blackwood is in my FB radio group ( as is Laquidara and a few other BIG names) , she is somewhat reclusive and lives in Maine.

Remember your typical terrestrial station is playing the same 300 songs, SXM channels are using a much bigger playlist as they have to go longer between repeats.

If you listen to say Kiss108, you may hear the same song 4 times in a 8 hour period, "currents" get played to death.

It is called "heavy rotation"

some background here:
I wanna say back in the 80's, Kiss108 and the Zou and the rest were playing the same 4 songs on continuous repeat. LOL.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
There's this neat feature on an mp3 player..... it's called "shuffle". Not sure if you were aware of its existence. It does precisely what you want. It's random, or mostly so.

If it's a small local station, I can see it being more appealing than most. Most are trash, though.

-Mike
Pandora is also random, and way more choices and ways to configure it. If a song sucks, I can click the thumb down button and never hear it again.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I do take issue with the "facts" stated in this thread, that "there is no more Rock music being generated", or that an alternative rock station, that mixed classic rock in with new and upcoming modern rock bands, could not make a go of it.
Terrestrial radio could probably continue onward if it wasn't for decades of big broadcasters pissing in the well with a constantly worsening product. Smaller ones may still do
well.

IMO there is plenty of new music being generated its just not being shared or disseminated quite the same way as it used to be.

FM radio has some def benefits over all the streaming crap. They can tell you about upcoming concerts, when tickets are about to go on sale, benefit events, backstories to some of the music, and so on.
Rare, and by minute, the commercials usually outstrip that content like 10 to 1. Off hours programming usually got better though. To use WAAF as an example, Mike Zhu used to run some offbeat stuff at night or you would hear stuff like bay state rock with Carmelita. but that's like on sunday, in the middle of the night.... [laugh]

If all you do is stream, you are only going to hear things YOU picked. If you listen to a live person, who changes ever couple hours, you get to hear new things you might not have ever heard about
110% false, there are a bunch of services that make algorithmic guesses based on the kind of music you've already opted into, etc. Most terrestrial FM stations on the other hand, especially the larger ones, pretty much have a formulaic list of tracks that they basically never stray from. Some are much better than others, though.

-Mike

Coda

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's this neat feature on an mp3 player..... it's called "shuffle". Not sure if you were aware of its existence.
I am fully aware of an mp3 players shuffle feature. If you want to make fun of me for not embracing every form of modern technology have at it, I guess this is the place for that and I am the guy.

Mp3 audio may sound great on your $15 ear buds but on a good stereo system compressed mp3 audio does not sound as good as HD FM, or CD’s or vinyl for that matter. Although I have heard about some music servers that sound good. I read about them all the time in TAV, Absolute Sound and my other stereo rags. They are the hot thing right now (That’s right I still have magazine subscriptions).

But any good CD player can do you what you call “shuffle”, it’s called random. They also have CD changers that hold 5-6 CD’s and I have a couple. So that is how I create my own play list.

With music there are two types of listeners. Those that are into quantity of music, and those that are into quality of music. I fit into the latter category although I realize that I am in the minority.

caboose84

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lived in NH, WXRV was my go to station while commuting- it tended to play some not so common older stuff and some decent new bands. Signal out of Haverhill didn't get much south of Boston but it normally worked for me. And I never heard kars for kids on it.... [smile]

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
On a tangent, the I heart bloodbath in Boston took out the morning show producer at WZLX, Deb Lawler at WBZ AM a 35 year employee, Tom Cuddy a long time sports guy, and Bradley J (an avid shooter btw) who went to Sister station WBZ AM after CBS blew up WBCN. He has well over 30 years in the business between the two stations.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
When I lived in NH, WXRV was my go to station while commuting- it tended to play some not so common older stuff and some decent new bands. Signal out of Haverhill didn't get much south of Boston but it normally worked for me. And I never heard kars for kids on it.... [smile]
WXRV now has several on channel repeaters and now covers a bunch of Boston and suburbia. Their P1 was nowhere what k4k would buy.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of these, plus....
I listen to FM for the Emergency Broadcast Network. I just want to be aware of when the government determines I need to shelter in place or assemble somewhere. I like to be compliant.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
On a tangent, the I heart bloodbath in Boston took out the morning show producer at WZLX, Deb Lawler at WBZ AM a 35 year employee, Tom Cuddy a long time sports guy, and Bradley J (an avid shooter btw) who went to Sister station WBZ AM after CBS blew up WBCN. He has well over 30 years in the business between the two stations.
Not a big fan of i 💔

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
No offense, but Bradley J got booted from BCN after inappropriate discussion on air.

He bounced around for a bit then did a stint in afternoons on WSAR in Fawl Rivah. I was listening the day he was talking about some education thing. A girl calls in. Says she's 14. His first question:

"So let me ask you a question: Have you had sex yet?"

He was gone the next morning.

Gun owner or not, the guy was scummy at BCN. He doubled down after getting canned for it. He should have been stomped for the SAR conversation.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
ahhh didn't Bradley J take WBCN off the air for the last time?

Here is the video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbkgYVJfey4

To my knowledge he was never fired from BCN and he was doing double duty working at WBCN and then running over to WBZ-A for a while, IIRC he became Dan Rea's producer ... the position now held by Nancy Shack, AKA "Sandy" from the Howie Carr show and WMEX. He was doing WBCN on Sunday night then running up to Soldiers Field Rd and doing the Sunday night into Monday morning shift if memory serves me right... it was 10+ years ago

PS I know the name of a certain bored operator who took WHDH off the air for the last time with the sound effect of a flushing toilet.... he was my GM at Multicultural Radio Broadcasting Inc.

Last edited:

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Damn. Am I thinking of another DJ??? He did evenings in the 80's and early 90's.

Damn. I swear it was him. But that dude in the pic is NOT the dude. Fudge. Who the hell am I thinking of???? He got canned. He was working at SAR. I SAW HIM THERE. And I was listening when he pulled the crap and he got fired by the Karam brothers the next day. Dammit! Now this is bugging me. LOL

Clearly it's not who I'm thinking of because I stopped listening to BCN before it went off-air like that.

Top Bottom