• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is everyone who listens to WAAF bald and limp?

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably the only thing that gets an audience of 100 people or more. What else can they do during that time?... play more 70s, 80, and 90, songs that have been played millions of times?
Why, exactly, do they have to play the SAME DAMN SONG OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND.....

If i hear Bon Jovi doing "living on a prayer" just ONE MORE TIME....i am going full postal! I swear.

there are like a million and a half OTHER rock songs they could chose to play.....

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why, exactly, do they have to play the SAME DAMN SONG OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND.....

If i hear Bon Jovi doing "living on a prayer" just ONE MORE TIME....i am going full postal! I swear.

there are like a million and a half OTHER rock songs they could chose to play.....
It's not only terrestrial. The guy who owns the gym I go to has the "Cassette-era" XM channel on. I hadn't heard "Dream Police" in decades before joining - every other time I'm there, it's on.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0

It's probably f***ing WXLO. 104.5 must have the most truncated playlists in existence.

It's basically a pattern for america's "crappy mix station" format.

In the late 90s I worked in a computer store and the only station that would come in on the radio in the shop was WXLO.

RIP pauly fuemana
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2cMG33mWVY

By the end of the summer I pretty much wanted to blow
my brains out.... although at one point a few years I almost fully rewrote the lyrics to this little dity...

"Suddenly red collision lights, flash us from behind"
"loud voice booming, GET THOSE PACKETS OFF THE LINE!"
"Policeman taps his shades, is that a Cisco 6509?"

I'll have to see if I can find the full text somewhere..... [rofl]

-Mike

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, although at night I love Scott Ferrall's show, but at this point its hard to even find that because of the syndication f***ups and 98.5 losing CBS sports radio as part of the ownership
changes, etc... although I think you can stream him.

-Mike
Scotty Ferrell was great when he was on Sirius. Those were the days. Stern in the morning, Bubba in the afternoon, Ferrall on at night. One heck of a lineup.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I stopped listening to WAAF shortly after O-Zone left. Ozone went on to co-host a morning talk show with Peter Blute on an AM Boston station. I listened to that show every morning until O-Zone got fired for saying some 'controversial' things about the 'Snakbars. Last I heard he was trying to jumpt start his career on a station down in either Louisiana or Florida.
Louisiana ...

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've been listening to WAAF since high school, and occasionally I'll put it on. I liked Greg Hill in the morning, a nice break from the bleeding heart Libs, and I followed him to WEEI.

My guess on LB is that he's drinking himself into an early grave, now that his buds are gone,

Oddly I find myself listening to nhpr, know thy enemy,

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
1. Saw a meme that said that That 70's show came out in 1996 (I think) and it was 1977. Ergo, in 2020, the equivalent would be That 2001 Show.

2. I recall craptons of Horny Goat Weed commercials on BCN back in the day 20 years ago.

3. Radio??? In 2020???? That's what my iPhone, Spotify (if I had it) and podcasts are for. I can't imagine trying to be involved in terrestrial radio today.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have never been able to get an answer to the following question from anyone in radio management: "why would you run a spot that has your listeners changing the station the second the first note of the jungle is heard?" Kars4Kids ( a very sketchy "charity" imho) is the perfect example.

Radio, in most major markets, Boston being one of the early adopters, is rated by a device known as the PPM ..Portable People Meter.

Stations are rated statistically by metrics like "cume" AQH" and "TSL" How many people overall, average quarter hour listeners, and time spent listening. Nelisen can break this data down to very specific groups, males, females, age groups, etc. What you may see in the publicly released ratings which are for people over the age of 6 male and female, may be quite different for say stations that cater to a different audience, as in they program for 34 to 54 males. A station could be #9 in 6+ but #1 in Male 18 to 34. You won't hear ads for boner pills on say WMJX, who targets soccer moms, but you will hear it on say WAAF that has an older mostly male audience. Sometimes these are national buys where the advertiser is sold advertising in a package that is promised to run on every station the company owns in a certain demographic. Kars4Kids must certainly be a national buy.. they are buying in bulk and it may even be a case of they are getting put on in scheduled slots that could not be sold to other advertisers. If you listen to Rush Limbaugh and hear a parody commercial when they are running the spots they are allowed to air as part of the syndication deal, those parodies are there because they did not have a paid spot to run. In the bad old days we would run PSA's in those spots. Same with Howie Carr, the Dana Hersey voiced spots telling you that your commercial could be heard right here are put there because Howie does not have a paid spot to put in there and it has to be filled with something to fill the break... those shows run on a "clock" and pretty rigid.
XDS Aff Rush Limbaugh Hour 1-2.jpg

The Neilsen package describing their statistical methodology runs 52 pages.

The PPM records data it picks up when people are listening to a station by way of an encoder in the airchain that sends a blip of data out that you can't hear but the PPM will pick up.

That device can very accurately tell when your listeners are tuning out. Play a Kars4Kids spot, people switch, the stations AQH and TSL take a hit because the listener may not tune back in before the next data is recorded, and you know who gets the blame? The DJ or host in that time period.. Gee Fred your ratings are down... sorry but you have to go...

Remember radio exists to sell commercials, the programming is the bait they use to keep you listening until more commercials are run, and the bean counters that now control programming would fill that time with the sounds of whales humping if they thought it would keep you listening and be cheaper than human produced content.

BTW IHrt Radio had massive layoffs this morning.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I was kind of hoping Kars 4 Kids would die a slow death after Trump's tax reform took away most charitable giving write offs.

If you want to give your junk car away for free... fine with me, personally I'll take the $75 dollars or whatever the going rate is.

The only way I give it away is if it costs me to dispose of it, and that happens when scrap metal prices are way down.

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Didn't know WAAF was still around, last I listened to them was around the time the WAAF GIRAFFE got beat up outside the old Rix in Gardner.

WZLX 100.7 is my choice now, but they too have changed from once being all classic rock.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Didn't know WAAF was still around, last I listened to them was around the time the WAAF GIRAFFE got beat up outside the old Rix in Gardner.

WZLX 100.7 is my choice now, but they too have changed from once being all classic rock.
What do you consider "classic rock"

remember radio stations target a certain audience, I would guess WZLX is male 34 to 54.

As time moves on, the playlist does too, to match the age of the listeners.

Cripes what was once called "oldies" is playing 1980's songs as they are 30 to 40 years old....

Same with "Classic Rock". Nirvana , Soundgarden, and other acts are 25+ years old for their breakout songs.

That was like listening to Elvis Presley in 1980

Pre British Invasion songs stopped getting airplay a long time ago, Try finding a Beatles song on the radio. Pre Disco rock/pop//top 40.... not on a mainstream station

When " Oldies 103 " got flipped in 2012, their ratings did not go up with the new programing... what did go up was their billing... they went younger in their music and got advertisers to purchase inventory.

Now back to WAAF, there are not a lot of "rock" artists out there, they are struggling to find stuff to play, granted they play the same 300 songs but there is not a lot of new material to choose from

And WZLX, they will slowly drop acts, and add others, but at some point the pickings will start getting thin , when they start playing Nickleback you will know the end is near.

Dip Dungles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
What do you have against the Jewish boys going to summer camp?
Absolutely nothing wrong with the idea of Jewish boys going to summer camp, it's the jingle that I can't stand. Once I hear that song come on I immediately bounce over to another station for 30 seconds. That commercial is like nails on a chalk board.
Going down on Lizzy is more like it.
That's a thought that will take some time to get out of my head. Thanks for that [puke2]

GlockJock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
In all "Sirius-ness": Who listens to FM radio anymore?? I haven't heard an ad nor "commercial interruption" since we bought the new car two years ago and it came with a life-of-the-car subscription to full/unlimited/all channels Satellite Radio.

Life is good :)

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
What do you consider "classic rock"

remember radio stations target a certain audience, I would guess WZLX is male 34 to 54.

As time moves on, the playlist does too, to match the age of the listeners.

Cripes what was once called "oldies" is playing 1980's songs as they are 30 to 40 years old....

Same with "Classic Rock". Nirvana , Soundgarden, and other acts are 25+ years old for their breakout songs.

Pre British Invasion songs stopped getting airplay a long time ago, Try finding a Beatles song on the radio. Pre Disco rock/pop//top 40.... not on a mainstream station

When " Oldies 103 " got flipped in 2012, their ratings did not go up with the new programing... what did go up was their billing... they went younger in their music and got advertisers to purchase inventory.

Now back to WAAF, there are not a lot of "rock" artists out there, they are struggling to find stuff to play, granted they play the same 300 songs but there is not a lot of new material to choose from

And WZLX, they will slowly drop acts, and add others, but at some point the pickings will start getting thin , when they start playing Nickleback you will know the end is near.
I'm 59, my classic rock is Led Zeppelin, Tull, Aerosmith, Neil Young, Rush, and the likes. Just a couple years back all WZLX would play were the classic artists from the 70's. And every Sunday morning were the "Sunday morning Blues"

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0

Pretty sure Cobain killed himself 25+ years ago. That's how old those oldies are.

Part of the whole "oldies" moniker is how we view "older" folks. Back in the 70's, someone in their 50's was ANCIENT. And they LOOKED it. Men in worn out cardigans. Women in housecoats and kerchiefs. Both hobbling around like they got run over by the Flintstone-mobile.

Now we have geriatric Tom Cruise starring in action movies. Because how we VIEW old is different. That whole "life begins at 65" trend really took off.

So in 1978, calling something an "oldie" fit. Today? No fitty. I'm 51. Don't call me old. My kids even say, "Dad, you don't look 50." My dad was 100% gray at 40.

Plus the folks that listened to "oldies" in the 70's never figured out rock. And those that listened to 60's/70's "oldies" in the 90's never really turned that corner either. It was epic mega-arena 70's show bands and then nothing. (80's synth-induced music didn't help - it enforced the rift.)

Now, call me Classic and Oldies at this point. Because most music has just fallen flat (pun intended) in the last 2 decades. It's hip-hop all the time or just banging rock. Very little innovation and "new"-ness. It'll change again. I'm too damned busy in life to listen to music anyhow. LOL

Coda

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nobody, and I mean nobody listens to music on terrestrial radio anymore.
I do. I listen to rock 102 most every day, after the morning show is over anyway. Can't stand those guys.

In fact I just bought a nice HD FM tuner for my stereo, thing sounds great. I have a roof top antenna and I am pulling in all kinds of stuff with it.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I do. I listen to rock 102 most every day, after the morning show is over anyway. Can't stand those guys.

In fact I just bought a nice HD FM tuner for my stereo, thing sounds great. I have a roof top antenna and I am pulling in all kinds of stuff with it.
Why tho? You can build your own playlist on a device and be done with it. No more f***ing commercials.

-Mike

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I'm 59, my classic rock is Led Zeppelin, Tull, Aerosmith, Neil Young, Rush, and the likes. Just a couple years back all WZLX would play were the classic artists from the 70's. And every Sunday morning were the "Sunday morning Blues"
And there was Breakfast With The Beatles too ( Now on WUMB if you are looking for it, Larry Loprette chose not to go work for the Evil Empire known as IHrt Media)

But back to demographics, if Tull is your thing, you are PROBABLY over 55 and in the radio business that id in what we lovingly call the "55 to dead" demographic.

A steady diet of artists and songs from that long ago will have WZLX P1 listeners ( Males 34 to 54) running to Pandora, Spotify, SXM, or other stations in a hurry.

In order to attract and keep the listeners you are promising to deliver to your advertisers, you have to play the songs your corporate overlords, consultants, and focus groups dictate that have appeal to your target listener

Songs are categorized. you play so many from group X,Y, Z, and A in this order, and never play 2 female artists back to back.

As I said in an above post, as people age out of your P1, their music falls off the bottom, and the music of the younger listener who is replacing the older listener that aged out is added to the playlist.

Tull, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson .... Early 70's British Prog Rock before they went top 40 have always been on the fringe of classic rock, not huge amount of airplay. How many times can you play Aqualung or Locomotive Breath in a day?

BTW for blues listen to John Guregian's " Blues Deluxe on WUML 91.5 Lowell every Saturday afternoon... every saturday afternoon since so long ago I was still their Chief Engineer when he started.. the show streams too look for it on the web

Your Classic Rock is now oldies... and (almost) nobody makes money playing oldies, or Golden Oldies ( pre British Invasion music)

The Music of (your Mothers) Life station is now playing your songs.

Top Bottom