• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is everyone who listens to WAAF bald and limp?

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WAAF and the RI equivalent of WHGY are now considered "oldies stations." Someone who was 20 in 1980 would be 60 now and someone who would be 20 in 1990 would be 50 now.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
try watching GRIT TV. Old westerns and such. Catheter commercials, oxygen...ED....hair restoration....

I believe they call it target marketing....lol

Oh, Oh, Oh, Osempic....you know...

now they're even stealing music we grew up with for their jingles.

Last edited:

El_Guapo77

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
back in the day Wbcn, wfnx those were the days now i listen to a little sportstalk an bruins games other than that i dont listen to regular radio anymore

TrashcanDan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Endless ads for hair restoration and ED treatments. It is hard to listen to anymore!

And what is with LB just walking off the job a few months ago?

WAAF used to be hard rockin’

what the hell happened?
No idea.
Went downhill after that O-Zone guy left and the mornings went to all talk.

Got satelite radio 2 years ago and never looked back

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to listen to them daily during my commute to/from work. Up until about 3 or 4 years ago I don't think it was too bad. Then they replaced Mistress Carrie with Matty and Nick and they fell off a cliff content wise. After that, they pulled the 97.7 frequency and you can't even listen to them anymore if you're south of Boston.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Yeah but i still use fm radio. My iphone playlist is too short

ugh. Need a pirate radio station in boston!
Nobody, and I mean nobody listens to music on terrestrial radio anymore. Let me put it this way, my dad turned 77 yesterday and even he has an ipod... once you're off the commercial laden crap you won't go back.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm pretty sure any talk station is going to be like this, although I have never heard WAAF before so I have no idea what is on it.

WRKO or WCRN are all:
Annuity ads (if they don't tell you what the financial service is, it is an annuity)
Get rich quick scams
Gambling addiction treatment
Lottery ads
Drug ads
Drug addiction treatment
Alcoholic treatment
Nursing homes
ED
Divorce services for men

It is seriously depressing. The divorce services do make sense though... If you need all the other stuff I listed, then no woman would want you.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I haven't listened to network radio in a decade or more. Even listening to Howie ended a few years ago. When the ad to programming ratio is 2:1 or more, it fries my brain. Streaming or YouTube only now (or old school LPs or CDs). There's even an ad free way of listening to YouTube for free...use Brave browser. Absolutely no ads when listening to YouTube via Brave.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
for those of you that don't understand how radio works, radio is a way to sell advertising. What they play between commercials ( or "spots" as they are known in the trade) is there solely to keep you listening until the next set of spots run.

What has happened in radio is that what used to be national advertisers have cut way back and put there resources into other media, including social media, spots on Pandora, YouTube, etc.

Mom and Pop record stores and such don't buy radio anymore... unless you are a hyper-local station like WATD FM in Marshfield where the sales execs do a pretty good job of proving value to local clients and getting them to spend. Sometimes it is cash and barter ( we call it TRADE-IO), you get a little cash and office supplies for running commercials for an office supply company, you get gas for the company van from the gas station, you get "trade" at the local bar for the owner to drink on in return for running their ads.

It is really hard to get big name companies to pony up for radio buys, and the buys are tailored to the demographic the radio satation has for listeners ( known as P1's)

18 to 34 is where the money is spent, 34 to 54 is next, "55 to dead" is near impossible to sell to a major client. That is why "oldies" is known as a dying demographic.

Sometimes the only people willing to buy inventory are people selling boner pills, weight loss snake oil, and other stuff we never would have accepted before.

These radio companies are mortgaged to the hill, many have gone bankrupt, I Heart Media is so far in debt they will never be able to pay it off, they keep doing re-fi's kicking the can down the road.

Radio stations are cutting payroll to the core, most will have someone in AM and PM drive, and be voice tracked the rest of the day.

I have one friend that is doing voice tracking for 5 stations in addition to his job ad Production Director ( doing all the commercials)

Another friend is voice tracking 14 stations around the country from his home studio, in addition to his PM Drive job in Wyoming.

Right here in Boston Jaybeau Jones who does mid days for Beasley's WROR is also doing Sirius XM's "70's on 7" at the same time he is being heard in Boston.

Entercom, the parent of WAAF has been slashing jobs all over the country in a BIG way.

Beasley is cutting all their mid day positions Paula Street just got "sent to the beach" in Tampa after 8 years at Besleys Q105, June Knight and many others were fired by Beasley's country station in Tampa.

Before Beasley bought Greater Media, they made GM cut dozens of positions, many of my friends were victims.

But back to the point, radio stations will take any advertisers they can get in order to pay the massive debt off and increase profits.

If you want some further reading, this is one of the better sites for Boston radio discussions :

I have a FB page of over 6500 current and former radio professionals like myself... I did radio on air and engineering from 76 to 2011, including weekend overnights at WPLM for a while, my last gig was at 2 lightbulb wattage AM stations WLYN and WAZN .

Some of the funniest stuff about radio, and the site has not been updated in close to 20 years but much of it is still true to this day, is WWW.KRUD.COM ... check out the cartoons there is more truth in them than you know

this explains it all:
Sales will sell anything if there is a dollar to be made. They don't care what the product is, how bad the commercial is, how repulsive it might sound. If they can make a dollar, it goes on the air. Times have changed. Back in the day, you would have never gotten a spot like this on the air... maybe that's a good thing and then again, maybe not.
toon187.jpg

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody, and I mean nobody listens to music on terrestrial radio anymore. Let me put it this way, my dad turned 77 yesterday and even he has an ipod... once you're off the commercial laden crap you won't go back.
On the radio in my truck:
It helps with the blood pressure cuz Connecticut drivers.

daekken

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm pretty sure any talk station is going to be like this, although I have never heard WAAF before so I have no idea what is on it.

WRKO or WCRN are all:
Annuity ads (if they don't tell you what the financial service is, it is an annuity)
Get rich quick scams
Lottery ads
Drug ads
Drug addiction treatment
Alcoholic treatment
Nursing homes
ED
Divorce services for men

It is seriously depressing. The divorce services do make sense though... If you need all the other stuff I listed, then no woman would want you.
That and Tom Steyer ads. Forgot the iPod once and I heard three Tom Steyer ads in about 35 minutes on the radio.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

WRKO or WCRN are all:
Get rich quick scams
Lottery ads
Drug ads
Drug addiction treatment
Alcoholic treatment
Nursing homes
ED
Divorce services for men

I listen to 100.1 WWFX.

Talk about depressing, I keep hearing my office mate's ads on my way in and out of work.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
and right now from under my palm tree, I am listening to one of my most favorite people in the world, Audrey Constant on 95 9 WATD Marshfield ( WATD We're At The Dump.. that is the meaning of the call sign)

WATD FM live stream

WATD is what radio USED to be before de-regulation and bean counters getting control of the business.

Audrey got me in the door at WPLM back in 2009, I have known her a looong time, she is one of the nicest people in radio.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was unaware that anything other than Howie, Rush, and the Khuner man were on the radio. Thought AAF was long gone.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I was unaware that anything other than Howie, Rush, and the Khuner man were on the radio. Thought AAF was long gone.
FYI Jay Severino, AKA Jay Severin has stage 4 cancer and is posting on Twitter, if you listened to him back in the day, a get well soon tweet may be in order

Top Bottom