Is barrel shroud on saiga 12 legal in MA?

A barrel shroud is not an "evil" feature on a shotgun...

18 USC 921(a) said:
(30) The term ‘semiautomatic assault weapon’ means—

>snip<

(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of—
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.​

Yeah, yeah, thx. I just wondered if it could be viewed as a suppressor. It's MA afterall, so the question is kinda fair game.

wow, as far as I know there aren't any laws in MA that prohibit barrel shrouds. lol.

Please cite the MA law that makes barrel shrouds illegal, thanks.

It is not, in and of itself, illegal.

It is, however, one of the enumerated "evil" features...

18 USC 922(a) said:
(30) The term ‘semiautomatic assault weapon’ means—

>snip<

(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of—​
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm;​

...which, in conjunction with another enumerated feature, renders a handgun an "assault weapon".

Last edited:
Thanks guys. What really sucks is that i can either have shroud or muzzlebreak. Both leagal but....

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys. What really sucks is that i can either have shroud or muzzlebreak. Both leagal but....

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

You CAN have both. The portion of the law KEVLAR cited is for pistols only. It does not apply to a Saiga 12 shotgun.

Since the Saiga 12 is a semi-auto with a detachable mag, you CANNOT have (i) a folding or telescoping stock;(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

Shotguns:
(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'.

NOTE: Given (D) this means that break open, pump, bolt action shotguns are exempt from the AWB.

See here for more details:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/157704-MA-Assault-Weapons-Ban-quot-AWB-quot-FAQ

Back
Top Bottom