• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is Barack Obama correct that mass killings don't happen in other countries?

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-obama-correct-mass-killings-dont-happen-oth/

conclusion:

Our ruling

Obama said after the church shootings in Charleston that "this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries. It doesn’t happen in other places with this kind of frequency."

The data shows that it clearly happens in other countries, and in at least three of them, there’s evidence that the rate of killings in mass-shooting events occurred at a higher per-capita rate than in the United States between 2000 and 2014. The only partial support for Obama’s claim is that the per-capita gun-incident fatality rate in the United States does rank in the top one-third of the list of 11 countries studied. On balance, we rate the claim Mostly False.

One almost happened in france last week, and it would have been much much worse than the usual. AK on a train with no escape? Yeah.

You are more likely to be killed by lightning than a mass shooting in the US.

"Now is the time for mourning and for healing. But let’s be clear: At some point, we as a country will have to reckon with the fact that this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries. It doesn’t happen in other places with this kind of frequency. And it is in our power to do something about it."

With all the immigration and other problems that we have, Obama had the USA delisted as an "advanced" country. [smile]

Even if it were true, which it clearly isn't, wth ever happened to "The buck stops here?" This guy isn't accountable for anything...

I'm still waiting for the Big O to say, with heartfelt sincerity, "If I had a brother, he'd look like Vesper Flanagan/Bryce Williams".

Do the mass executions by ISIS in Syria and Iraq count? How about when the light skinned Muslims in Darfur (now South Sudan) slaughter the dark skinned Muslims? The massacre of shoppers in Kenya? Back in June 38 tourists were killed at a hotel in Tunisia. Most of those were British on vacation.

I guess none of that counts, because of the strict gun control in those countries. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for the Big O to say, with heartfelt sincerity, "If I had a brother, he'd look like Vesper Flanagan/Bryce Williams".
To which the reply would be "If you had a brother he'd probably have been incarcerated at some point in his life" cuz statistics don't lie. Oh, wait, it's the white man's fault. I forgot.

I recommend watching Bill Whittles # 1 with a bullet on you tube.

ETA I see PAULR beat me to it. Thanks for putting the link in.

Do the mass executions by ISIS in Syria and Iraq count? How about when the light skinned Muslims in Darfur (now South Sudan) slaughter the dark skinned Muslims? The massacre of shoppers in Kenya? Back in June 38 tourists were killed at a hotel in Tunisia. Most of those were British on vacation.

I guess none of that counts, because of the strict gun control in those countries. [rolleyes]

Pretty sure it says "advanced countries."

And

- - - Updated - - -

And https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_attacks_in_China_(2010–12)

Back
Top Bottom