Is anyone starting to think all these closings are going a bit too far?

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Fed gov shouldnt be the go to for everyone.....you make the fed the last resort then hospitals and states choose not to prepare.....like they did this time

If we want something productive to come out of this then hospitals need to be required to maintain n numbers of months of various ppe/supplies of basic stuff........

On top of that states need to maintain emergency stocks of various things.......
So do it on a state level. But unless you rotate that stock, it's not going to make sense long term unless we are faced with a pandemic every once in a while. That's why I suggested that when a hospital orders more PPE/etc they take delivery from the stockpile and the new stuff goes into rotation at the stock pile. I had suggested a "national stockpile" but a state one makes more sense logistically. well, until you find out that Tall Deval's cousin who is running it doesn't know how to add or rotate so everything in there is past the "expiration date."

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
How about individual private citizens?

Would it be better for them to prepare too?
of course but as we know almost half the country cannot afford to miss 1 paycheck or pay an unexpected bill of $500. Plus, when people get sick it's not like they are going to be bringing in their own PPE to provide to the caregivers.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So do it on a state level. But unless you rotate that stock, it's not going to make sense long term unless we are faced with a pandemic every once in a while. That's why I suggested that when a hospital orders more PPE/etc they take delivery from the stockpile and the new stuff goes into rotation at the stock pile. I had suggested a "national stockpile" but a state one makes more sense logistically. well, until you find out that Tall Deval's cousin who is running it doesn't know how to add or rotate so everything in there is past the "expiration date."
Then you have to create a whole new gov agency to rotate fooking stock and manage that whole process

Most every state already has a process for getting rid of surplus property/etc........when supplies get close to official expiration date then sell them off to public.......money goes back towards replenishing the emergency supplies

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Then you have to create a whole new gov agency to rotate fooking stock and manage that whole process

Most every state already has a process for getting rid of surplus property/etc........when supplies get close to official expiration date then sell them off to public.......money goes back towards replenishing the emergency supplies
your way the taxpayer pays for the stock then. I say make the hospitals pay for the stockpile and make them pay for the management/administration of it. But someone will have to "police" it to make sure the stockpile exists in adequate numbers and is being properly rotated. Again, make the hospitals pay for it.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
your way the taxpayer pays for the stock then. I say make the hospitals pay for the stockpile and make them pay for the management/administration of it. But someone will have to "police" it to make sure the stockpile exists in adequate numbers and is being properly rotated. Again, make the hospitals pay for it.
Its a fooking rounding error in the overall scope of budget......

Who the hell wants to pay MORE gov employees and pensions to go with them?

Squire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Fed gov shouldnt be the go to for everyone.....you make the fed the last resort then hospitals and states choose not to prepare.....like they did this time

If we want something productive to come out of this then hospitals need to be required to maintain n numbers of months of various ppe/supplies of basic stuff........

On top of that states need to maintain emergency stocks of various things.......
I agree. Everyone complains the Fed govt is too big, but then asks for more govt.

The fed govt should be restricted to very few basic tasks, like it was intended; Law, national economy, national defense, foreign policy . Not the gigantic monster it is today.

Last edited:

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Cause any politician who wants to have his job in a year has to do the cautious thing. Even if you're right, you'll be hung out to dry by the media cause some cute kid in your city died of the virus.
"It's for the chillllllldren."

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't think it would be unreasonable to maintain a "national stockpile" of certain items of PPE.
So do it on a state level. But unless you rotate that stock, it's not going to make sense long term
Not knowing how old you guys are, think back to the duck and cover days of the 1950's and the threat of nuclear war. Civil Defense emergency shelter locations were everywhere and stockpiles of all necessary product to survive were all over the place. I've waded through quite a few of these places back in the 1980's and 90's. Rotten canvas stretchers, rat eaten MRE's, 5 gal cans of water rusted out and medical supplies that I would not use on a rabid raccoon.

After thus SHTF period, I would suggest a reasonable stockpile of EPE to be maintained by the people that will need it the most. IE first responders, hospitals, elderly housing etc. ROTATION and proper storage facilities for these items is critical. Overall thought to how and where these items are to be stored is critical. High water, hurricanes, earthquakes are all the be taken into consideration.

Possibly joint storage locations, like EMS and Hospitals would be a good idea, but then again, it is location and quality of disaster construction. I would highly suggest that this not be a governmental operation, maybe they could come up with guidelines for what and how much, but leave this to the professionals that will have to deal with it, not the politicians. FEMA and all the multiple letter agencies have totally failed us on this, don't let them do it again. Pass some law requirements and let the qualified people do the job maybe with federal assistance for long term purchases of suitable structures and security.

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The unfortunate part of this is that when it's all over you will have more government because of it.
Because hospital administrators can't be counted on to be responsible enough to maintain inventory there will be a law.
Because state governments can't be counted on to do the same there will be a law.
If you notice what's happening is that the same states who were crying that the feds should MYOB when it came to sanctuary laws and such are the ones screaming the loudest for the feds to handle it all for them now.
They will be the ones screaming the loudest down the line when the fed starts telling them to either maintain a proper inventory or f*ck off the next time it happens too.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We need a robotic warehouse run by an AI. Trucks come in, robots unload or load them. Hospitals buy their JIT PPE or whatever supplies, they get delivered to the warehouse and the oldest matching stock is shipped out to the hospital. Charge a tiny percentage extra to build up bulk storage (and pay the electric bill).

Somebody else suggested the warehouse idea, but running it with robots and artificial intelligence would remove the Tall Deval factor.

(about half kidding. Maybe 1/3)

Top Bottom