Is anyone starting to think all these closings are going a bit too far?

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I read that NYC is in a crisis because 13 people died last night from the virus, what I don't understand is why this is sending them into a tizzy because I am sure that over that amount must die in NYC every day from different causes.
Something like 300-400 people die in NYC every day. I rememeber searching the stats a while back.

I dont think that number includes crimes.

• Sad
Reactions: jpk

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont want to get sick and possibly die either which is why I wear mask, use sanitizer, chlorox wipes and time by visits to stores appropriately

But I also dont expect the world to stop turning just for me and others.

Know what I mean?

Nope, Because even though I like some of your thoughts you're playing both sides of the debate. You vacillate between shutting everything down which would pretty much stop the world from turning, to the stating the above.
So no, I don't know what you mean. I don't think anyone here, even you knows what you mean! [rofl]

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nope, Because even though I like some of your thoughts you're playing both sides of the debate. You vacillate between shutting everything down which would pretty much stop the world from turning, to the stating the above.
So no, I don't know what you mean. I don't think anyone here, even you knows what you mean! [rofl]
Not accurate at all

Places like NYC need additional controls.....cuz of the great stampede combined with pre-existing community spread a couple weeks back

Huuuuge swaths of the country have few cases.......deal with the outbreaks and encourage the rest of the country to go about their business, social distancing, wearing masks where they have them......we're allowing the tail to wag the dog here

If a majority of people wore masks the transmission rate would approach zero......

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Some people didn’t prepare for this.

You have been told for years how to financially prepare.

Two weeks into this and you’re crying like babies.

Next time Be Prepared.
dood, everyone on this board is actually pretty well prepared. The people who are crying are the Mr & Mrs Moneybags, large corporations. Please tell them. Good luck.

If there is one thing I cry about it's that everyone here just went 40k into debt (to be likely repaid by our kids) and only few of us would actually get that $1000.

Jason Flare

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
dood, everyone on this board is actually pretty well prepared. The people who are crying are the Mr & Mrs Moneybags, large corporations. Please tell them. Good luck.

If there is one thing I cry about it's that everyone here just went 40k into debt (to be likely repaid by our kids) and only few of us would actually get that $1000.
A lot of people here seem pretty upset that the economy is in the toilet.

ETA: By definition they want the economy up and running at the expense of the lives of others.

I’m just saying if they had truly prepared they could bug out for 3 to 6 months and have their economy back when it was over.

Win/Win.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not sure how one can look at recent actions in NH and WA and NOT say there's some overreaction going on. Not everything of course, and there's certainly been under-reactions in other areas too.

In hindsight, IMNSHO, a much more focused and direct approach should have been applied. Certain towns, cities, and counties should have closed up tighter, sooner, and then maybe whole states, and the country, wouldn't be impacted quite so much. 20-20.

Last edited:

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Something like 300-400 people die in NYC every day. I rememeber searching the stats a while back.

I dont think that number includes crimes.
10m / 70years / 365days = 400 per day.

Around 4k people have the flu right now in NYC, yielding 5 flu deaths per day.

Around 12k people have the Kung Flu right now in NYC, yielding ~ 15 deaths in the last day.

So the current mortality (right now) is around the same, but it's incredibly more contagious. We'll be looking at around a million cases in NYC when this is over.

That's enough to have me concerned.

commodon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope.... Greater NYC needs to be welded in their houses. Stop domestic air travel. Picket line west of the Rockies.

Well, maybe hyperbole......But no, its not too much. Its not enough....

No, I'm not a statist. Yes, I understand the libs will not let this crisis go to waste. Yes, I understand the economy is cratering.

In 2 weeks we might be Italy x 5, NYC is almost there now... I really hope what we're already doing will be enough, but if it is, it just means we got lucky.

A LOT of people are gonna die soon if we don't clamp this shit down right now.

Telling people their loved one died, or is going to die and we can't stop it, is miserable. Every time. You don't get used to it.

Flame away.
We just surpassed Italy and we shouldn't be proud of it in this instance...

What is most concerning is that the U.S. is still on an upward trajectory, which is not good...

Stay safe..

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Bah. You're missing the point. Pretty good odds the country will collapse from this and emerge as a dozen or more, smaller nations. Whichever set of states is the last to give up will be the lucky bastards that get to pay back the trillions.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
One thing I have learned during this stay at home thing ... I would never want to have some sort of bunker to survive the apocalypse.

If people are this grumpy and having a bad time when they can still go out for walks, play video games, watch TV, eat what they want, waste as much water as they want ... can you imagine locked in a bunker without going out for years and having to live on limited food, water and entertainment?
Who says ps4 is going to be broken in the bunker...

beaker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0

ETA: By definition they want the economy up and running at the expense of the lives of others.

I’m just saying if they had truly prepared they could bug out for 3 to 6 months and have their economy back when it was over.

Win/Win.
Who elected you to speak for everyone? You know that everyone here thinks that way? Were you bitten by a radioactive turtle, which gave you ESP super powers? You fail to see the big picture, how many people will die when the system collapses because the machine has stopped? No food, no production, no medicine, no medical care, nothing. 25,000 people have died from the flu in the US in the last 3 months. Every year 600,000 people die of cancer. I could go on and on, but WTF are we shutting down the engine of the world because people have died, not even enough to impact the round off factor in the daily world death toll? Tell me why?

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I don't think it would be unreasonable to maintain a "national stockpile" of certain items of PPE. This stock could be rotated by mandating that hospitals buy from private entities but then receive their "shipment" from the stockpile while the new inventory goes into the stockpile. Or perhaps instead of a "national" stockpile, each hospital needs to maintain an inventory in excess of normal needs, to be increased every year to get to "pandemic" levels or something. If a product is "good" for 5 years, 5 years inventory should be maintained and rotated. Same for most common meds etc, maintain an x days extra supply for supply interruptions.

Jason Flare

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Who elected you to speak for everyone? You know that everyone here thinks that way? Were you bitten by a radioactive turtle, which gave you ESP super powers? You fail to see the big picture, how many people will die when the system collapses because the machine has stopped? No food, no production, no medicine, no medical care, nothing. 25,000 people have died from the flu in the US in the last 3 months. Every year 600,000 people die of cancer. I could go on and on, but WTF are we shutting down the engine of the world because people have died, not even enough to impact the round off factor in the daily world death toll? Tell me why?
My post really set you off?

Maybe you’re stressed?

Your position is that I’m speaking for everyone?

Is this what did it: “A lot of people here seem pretty upset that the economy is in the toilet.”

Sorry I hit a nerve.

No, sorry it looks like I hit a nerve.

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is how I've been dealing with the Chinese apocalypse.
I went trout fishing this morning along the river. It was nice getting out even though they weren't biting. Now im setting up my backyard driving range. Going to hit a bucket of balls out into the pond. There's a dead tree out in the middle about 200 yards out that I aim for. I'm still trying to work on my horrible slice. Then later today when the temp goes up a little more I'm taking the motorcycle out for a cruise through southern New Hampshire.
Then to cap the day off I'm lighting the fire pit and having a couple of friends over to sit around the fire and have a cigar and a glass or two of bourbon.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Nope.... Greater NYC needs to be welded in their houses. Stop domestic air travel. Picket line west of the Rockies.

Well, maybe hyperbole......But no, its not too much. Its not enough....

No, I'm not a statist. Yes, I understand the libs will not let this crisis go to waste. Yes, I understand the economy is cratering.

In 2 weeks we might be Italy x 5, NYC is almost there now... I really hope what we're already doing will be enough, but if it is, it just means we got lucky.

A LOT of people are gonna die soon if we don't clamp this shit down right now.

Telling people their loved one died, or is going to die and we can't stop it, is miserable. Every time. You don't get used to it.

Flame away.
If you like playing the same games with the same people over and over again, then it will be fine. But PS and XBOX are boring if you cant go online and play with others.
I hate getting my ass kicked by kids lol but yeah i get yiur point

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Win/Win.
Many of us can weather 3 months fine - but the economy cannot, it's way too reliant on debt and cannot handle a crashing revenue stream. And the Fed is gonna make our savings and salaries worthless trying to bail out everything in sight.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Cause any politician who wants to have his job in a year has to do the cautious thing. Even if you're right, you'll be hung out to dry by the media cause some cute kid in your city died of the virus.

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Jason Flare

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Many of us can weather 3 months fine - but the economy cannot, it's way too reliant on debt and cannot handle a crashing revenue stream. And the Fed is gonna make our savings and salaries worthless trying to bail out everything in sight.
I think the fed would have to dump far less money into the economy, thereby diluting the value of our savings, if most of us truly had saved and didn’t need a dime from anyone else.

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't think it would be unreasonable to maintain a "national stockpile" of certain items of PPE. This stock could be rotated by mandating that hospitals buy from private entities but then receive their "shipment" from the stockpile while the new inventory goes into the stockpile. Or perhaps instead of a "national" stockpile, each hospital needs to maintain an inventory in excess of normal needs, to be increased every year to get to "pandemic" levels or something. If a product is "good" for 5 years, 5 years inventory should be maintained and rotated. Same for most common meds etc, maintain an x days extra supply for supply interruptions.
Fed gov shouldnt be the go to for everyone.....you make the fed the last resort then hospitals and states choose not to prepare.....like they did this time

If we want something productive to come out of this then hospitals need to be required to maintain n numbers of months of various ppe/supplies of basic stuff........

On top of that states need to maintain emergency stocks of various things.......

Jason Flare

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Fed gov shouldnt be the go to for everyone.....you make the fed the last resort then hospitals and states choose not to prepare.....like they did this time

If we want something productive to come out of this then hospitals need to be required to maintain n numbers of months of various ppe/supplies of basic stuff........

On top of that states need to maintain emergency stocks of various things.......
How about individual private citizens?

Would it be better for them to prepare too?

Top Bottom