Is anyone starting to think all these closings are going a bit too far?

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
A bit perhaps.

Rather than a wait and see, things are being cancelled months out from now

My son had his research internship for the summer cancelled last week (starts end of May)

moojpg2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
problem is the closures need to be universal to gain compliance, I know I'm not closing my business if my rent it still due, and I know landlords aren't gonna let tenants skip rent unless they can skip paying this quarters property tax, etc. My town bills/king's ransom are still due on time, which means I'm still at work, whether they like it or not.

Brook Trout

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't help thinking that the long term damage we are doing the economy will be far worse for 10 years or more.
Article in WSJ 10 days ago estimated 200K to 1.7M dead as worst case scenario. Mostly elderly and those already with compromised health issues.
1.65M is .5% of the US population. My bet is if we keep this "no business" economy for much longer, we will kill far more people than that.
The destroyed economy will effect the general prosperity of America for all of us, and the world, like the Great Depression 1929-1933.

Twigg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Considering how contagious this virus is I believe it's becoming necessary. Recently the news focused on college students (idiots) on spring break in Florida. Today the Drudge report states 5 of these idiots tested positive. It not just them, it's everyone they had contact with and the ones who came into second hand and third hand (& so on &so on... contact. Things get out of control very quickly.

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Since it's not universal and the definition of "essential" differs depending on your point of view.... yes, the current closings are ridiculous and won't achieve the "stated" goal of containing/slowing/controlling the spread of the virus.

If the real goal is to muck up the economy and other deep state goals, then maybe it's working for them.

None of it would really be necessary, if people actually practiced prepping and keeping their crap clean and staying away from infecting or being infected.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
IMO/IME, any jobs that have switched to remote working (or work from home) should have been doing that all along. In my case, 99.9995% of what I do is remote anyways. We have remote hands do things in the data centers (either one of our own people, or the data center's people). So there's pretty much zero need for me to go anywhere.

Once this event is over, I hope that we can continue to work remote for the majority of the time. I know that I will NOT miss driving through F'ing Lowell twice a day.

Twigg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
There are two movies which demonstrate how quickly things can affect a large area. "Outbreak"and "Contagion" I'd suggest watching either if you have any doubts about the severity of the current events.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yes and No

NY is a hot fooking mess of an outbreak and the southern part of the state needs to be quarantined to counter large numbers of stupid people who made horrible decisions and xmission is totally out of control

But outside of southern NY the rest of the state has few cases and its rural except for a couple cities and could be controlled via less draconian measures.....like telling people to social distance OR we will lock your arses down like NYC

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your only concern is the guesstimate of a death rate that seems to fluctuate between .05 to 5+% then maybe.

If you're in a higher risk category, don't want to be horribly sick (the definition of a mild case states not requiring a ventilator and the is just to broad of a definition for me), don't want to spend years paying for a long hospital stay or don't want to end up with permanent lung damage then no I don't think it's too far.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
a royal pain in the arse, but i understand why. They do NOT have a handle on this thing yet, and are not sure if drugs will cure it....so the only thing that they KNOW works is to slow down the rate of infection so that serious cases do not overload the number of ventilators the country has. Basically the same plan they had for Polio when i was a kid, shut it all down, and if you really got it, put you in an iron lung.

The good news is....it DOES seem to be slowing down a little. Countries like South Korea seem to have really done this effectively. AND there are numerous options for trying drugs on it.

So all the closings and shelter in places will be lifted soon if the drugs start to work and the infection curves flatten.

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's not universal and the definition of "essential" differs depending on your point of view.... yes, the current closings are ridiculous and won't achieve the "stated" goal of containing/slowing/controlling the spread of the virus.
Ho do you know? No country has just let this thing go with zero type of control. All of the data is based on some type of mitigation. Italy which seems to have waited too long is having the worst situation

darrowj

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am conflicted about it. I've read about what happened in 1918. It is absolutely horrifying. I mean the length of it back then. How it came in waves. How it mutated and the second wave in the Fall became what we know today in the general public.

On the other hand what we are doing to this economy is equally bad. As of today I do not know people what have gotten the virus personally. However, I do know people that have lost jobs in the past week. This is going to be historically bad for all of us.

So while I wish that I could go out and spend to help my local businesses and the economy overall I do not want to be part of the problem in spreading this virus.

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Ho do you know? No country has just let this thing go with zero type of control. All of the data is based on some type of mitigation. Italy which seems to have waited too long is having the worst situation
How do I know? I know that the current "closings" will not address the issue, is because the current closings are not actual closings.

Even though states have implemented closing and only essential business to remain open... you see it on social media, news, and in person.
There are people flocking and congregating everywhere. People saying that going shopping is essential - they're not shopping for food or meds.
I see kids still having play dates and playing pick up games of basketball at the highschool.
Spring break was still the same super spreader party.

That's how I know that the current "shelter in place" "stay at home" orders are not going to work.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thats not really true......Italy had "control" in name only until number of cases in hospitals were beyond their capacity and an ACTUAL quarantine/controls put into place........

Super Spreader from Pakistan preparing/delivering food
Quarantine in name only that everyone in quarantine zone ignored and continued going to pubs/restaurants/gatherings
Actual quarantine didnt come for a looong time....until they needed to call in the military....

SK has had a middle of the road/non draconian (in most regards) response and people are still working/getting shit done
Japan is the same

We could go down the worldometers site....there are other examples of a wide range of responses...and lack of responses that have a variety of results

Gov's response isnt the issue......the peoples response/actions that makes or breaks xmission.....

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not really true......Italy had "control" in name only until number of cases in hospitals were beyond their capacity and an ACTUAL quarantine/controls put into place........

Super Spreader from Pakistan preparing/delivering food
Quarantine in name only that everyone in quarantine zone ignored and continued going to pubs/restaurants/gatherings
Actual quarantine didnt come for a looong time....until they needed to call in the military....

SK has had a middle of the road/non draconian (in most regards) response and people are still working/getting shit done
Japan is the same

We could go down the worldometers site....there are other examples of a wide range of responses...and lack of responses that have a variety of results

Gov's response isnt the issue......the peoples response/actions that makes or breaks xmission.....

I want to see some numbers from a large country that did nothing and let it run it's course. The we would know how many got sick, died and how fast the country recovered. But there isn't one. All of the countries at some point have gone the social distancing, close businesses route. So we aren't comparing apples to oranges. We just have a bunch of different varieties of apples.

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I am having some trouble with the .gov response in MA.

First, this doesn't impact me, my kids are old enough to drive.

Faker shut down every daycare in the state, then opened 300 'emergency state run daycares' for emergencies.
No charge, no criteria on who can and cannot use them. WTF, that's less than 1 per town, and people who 'have to' work are going to have their kids packed in like sardines. How is having state run daycares somehow circumventing the social distancing rules, exactly? Is it because some thrown-together-overnight state-run daycare is going to be better?

And at less than 1 per town, how far are you going to have to go to get this care? Full retard.

It doesn't. make. sense.

Top Bottom