• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is anyone in your family anti gun?

At Christmas my brother bumped into me and could feel the gun. Then the sh*t really hit the fan. I was getting screamed at and told never to bring it in any of their houses again! No matter how I try to talk to them and explain, they are completely nuts about it.
That always makes things a little more interesting. Even if the person concedes that it's your right and chalks it up to differing opinions, it can get hairy when you have a gun around them or their family, in their house, etc and they don't want you to...

My sister-in-law is a crazy hoplophobe. she's utterly unapproachable on the subject. My FIL and I can't even have a conversation about his cowboy shooting without her going into hysterics.

You can't argue with willful ignorance. If your family is able to have a rational conversation with you on the subject then it's not too hard to educate them. The facts are clear as day. But people who have irrational fears and can't even talk about a subject without becoming hysterical will never come around. Best to just avoid the subject.

I'm glad you guys are keeping this going! This is really good stuff here. I especially love the suggestion about pointing out that 42 inch plasma that they don't need when the old 12 inch boob tube would do the same thing [smile]. Or dad's Bose surround sound system when the Koss system for 1/3 the price would do the same thing. Or why he drives a Lexus when he could have bought the Toyota which is the same exact car and he paid an extra 20G's for an L symbol. The list goes on and on. Of course I know their reaction will be "ya but since when has a tv been designed to take a life?" It will never end with them...I could argue that I'm in MA so I got stuck with the Sig 556 SCM (sport configuration model)...so...since it's "sport configured" it's only capable of shooting at paper targets! [laugh]

You can't argue with willful ignorance. If your family is able to have a rational conversation with you on the subject then it's not too hard to educate them. The facts are clear as day. But people who have irrational fears and can't even talk about a subject without becoming hysterical will never come around. Best to just avoid the subject.

Absolutely true, and quite refreshing to hear.

My sister-in-law is a crazy hoplophobe. she's utterly unapproachable on the subject. My FIL and I can't even have a conversation about his cowboy shooting without her going into hysterics.

That is exactly how every member of my family is. Sucks, doesn't it?

I can't think of a family member I have who is anti-gun. A few have differing opinions (some support licensing/registration, others think it's a right that shouldn't be restricted in any way like me), but almost all of them are at least passively pro-gun. A few of them own and carry, most have shot with me, and none of them freak out about guns. One finds humorous that I'm "scared enough" to carry (but I've never gotten more than rolled eyes as a result of those discussions), and another is "anti gun, but not for cops/military," and not very vocal (at least not with me) about it.

I have a grandmother who doesn't like guns, wanted them out of the house within minutes of my grandfather dying, but was never bothered by him owning them. In fact, once I went to lunch with her, and when she hugged me she felt my gun, but just laughed like it was no big deal and said "Oh I see you're carrying, but how are you, what's new in your life?" My other grandfather thinks guns are barbaric (after taking many lives in combat), but he supports the right of the law abiding to use guns, just as a last resort.

I think it helps that as a kid guns were never made out to be taboo or a big deal in my house; they were treated like the stove, which was dangerous if mis-used, but a tool with a purpose that we were educated on.

I've only ever gotten into one gun discussion that resulted in someone going berserk on me, and later I learned that his mother was the victim of an unsolved firearms homicide when he was a little kid. With most people, I've found that an honest discussion (and education about what the laws are and how criminals are) can turn even the most anti-person who is a thinking individual into someone who sees the truth. I'll usually just ask why they don't think people should have machine guns/ carry on college campuses/ not register their guns if they bring it up, then take it from there.

One person I met who I'll never forget...she was violently raped at gunpoint, and she would leave the rooms if guns were ever displayed after that. She'd frequnelty say that she didn't have a problem with guns, or people owning or carrying them, but seeing them brought up too much for her. It amazed me to see someone who could support others rights even when they raised such visceral fear in her.

I'm open about guns, just like I am about religion, politics, social issues, etc., and I'm always willing to discuss topics with people and agreeably disagree if we don't see eye to eye. So like everything else, I'll talk about "hot topics" (and often find my views refined or changed on issues that I find important), and the one time it got ugly I got up and left.

All of my friends are pro gun, many own and carry, but that's not because of a conscious effort on my part to shun anti-gun folks, it's just the way it worked out I guess.

Gun ownership isn't "...a civil right afforded to citizens by the US Bill of Rights."

Armed self defense is a natural right AFFIRMED by the Constitution.

+1

Last edited:
For my family, its my mother. She knows I have some handguns and a couple rifles, and initially I thought that I could talk about it casually. But it seemed that fairly heated arguments would follow, and I decided its just not worth it. She wont ever see my side or concede that legal gun owners aren't the problem with gun control. I think if I told her I had an AR she'd have a fit. Like I said, not worth it. I'm very close with my family and I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather stay that way than drive a wedge over anything.

My father and sister on the other had, are pretty tolerant. I told my dad that I was going to accessorize my new house with a shotgun his reply was,"well that only makes sense." I've tried to get him to the range on more than one occasion but he doesnt seem all that interested. This doesn't really bother me. I'd like him to take an interest, but I'm more than happy with him being tolerant of my ideals. I dont feel that I have to censor myself about this stuff with him or my sister.

My wife gets it. Thank God. She teases me sometimes when I carry, until she feels uncomfortable somewhere and she says,"Do you have your gun?" Shes awesome.

Most of my local friends are fairly liberal and don't really get it. I'm "the guy with guns." I'm fairly up front about it, and no one seems especially uncomfortable, they just dont really get it. "Why do you need to carry a gun?" "Is that thing real?" (referring to my AR) Thats the kinda stuff I get from them, but I always leave an open invitation to go to the range and try them all out. So far no one has taken me up on it. One of theses days....

Just my .02.

So using the anti-gun moonbat logic, if they or any member of their family was injured in an auto accident they would never want to be around an automobile again. Those things are dangerous, they kill people. I think Freud said people who have an irrational fear of weapons have many other issues that need to be explored.

My parents are not "rabid, we won't talk to you if you have guns" anti, but they know we have firearms in the house. They don't like to discuss them, so I avoid it. However, when they call and we're at the range, and ask where we are, I always tell them. I've tried inviting my dad for trap shooting, we'll see if it happens sometime, if i pester long enough, he might like it.

My mother is borderline. She always believed that guns were fine, but no one needed an "assault rifle." She is slowly coming around to the our side.
My mother in law isn't too keen on guns, but wants to learn to shoot. She doesn't like the idea of me carrying in her house though. What she doesnt know won't hurt her.
My sister in law (17 y.o.) is very anti. Guns are bad, hugs are good. Maybe someday she will grow up.
My Father in law asked me how many guns one person needed when I was talking about my collection (currently 6) and what I was gonna get next.
My sister and her husband have several, my brother will be applying for his LTC this year.

If I can get my mother and mother in law out to the range sometime it would be great. I dont think my sister in law will go anytime soon though.

This is strange to me. I feel for those of you who's families aren't supportive. I was extremely lucky enough to grow up in a VERY pro gun family. My father when I was about 2 gave me a broken revolver to "play" with in order to satisfy my interest in guns. Apparently from that day forth once I was told never ever to touch them I never so much as even gave them a second look. When I tell people that story they tell me my father is a nutjob, but i'm glad that my father was not only pro 2a but smart enough to teach me about guns at a very early age. I guess i'm very lucky I had a good family that believed in liberties and the 2A. Hell my grandfather got me and my brother a lifetime membership to the NRA this christmas.

This is strange to me. I feel for those of you who's families aren't supportive. I was extremely lucky enough to grow up in a VERY pro gun family. My father when I was about 2 gave me a broken revolver to "play" with in order to satisfy my interest in guns. Apparently from that day forth once I was told never ever to touch them I never so much as even gave them a second look. When I tell people that story they tell me my father is a nutjob, but i'm glad that my father was not only pro 2a but smart enough to teach me about guns at a very early age. I guess i'm very lucky I had a good family that believed in liberties and the 2A. Hell my grandfather got me and my brother a lifetime membership to the NRA this christmas.

Sounds cool to me...it's just a good thing you didn't know how to gunsmith or reload when you were two or there might have been an accident. [laugh]

My MIL was anti, then out of the blue she did a u-turn. She always knew I had guns, but didn't know or chose not to know I CCW'd all the time. Then one day at her kitchen table she commented "with the way things are it's good you have a gun with you", she even voted for Scott Brown.

My wife does not have an interest in guns but I am going to give her the safety course this spring so she will have her LTC, in case I kick the bucket she will come into a good deal of money from my collection. My nephews wife is very anti-gun I have taken him to the range a few times but he knows he will never be allowed to have a gun in the house. So any time i visit them I make sure i am carrying just to piss her off. She does not say anything to me i just get a dirty look. And i know my nephew probably get's an ear full when i leave.

My wife does not have an interest in guns but I am going to give her the safety course this spring so she will have her LTC, in case I kick the bucket she will come into a good deal of money from my collection. My nephews wife is very anti-gun I have taken him to the range a few times but he knows he will never be allowed to have a gun in the house. So any time i visit them I make sure i am carrying just to piss her off. She does not say anything to me i just get a dirty look. And i know my nephew probably get's an ear full when i leave.

You go ahead and piss off those Libs!

My sister WAS. I'll have to post pictures later. At Thanksgiving, she wouldn't even TOUCH my gun. I stripped it down for her and she would touch each component by itself, but she didn't even want to LOOK at it fully assembled.
THEN I took her to the range, just she and I last weekend, and now she's HOOKED! She wants to get BETTER she said!
Love it.

I find that easing a discussion into the Katrina aftermath, and the risk of future economic collapse, terrorist attack, natural disaster, etc. goes a long way toward introducing a person you care about to the desirability of being armed.

Talk to your family members about "What if" scenarios that really could effect them.

I've had family members seek me out for firearms info when they 'wake up' to what could happen to them and their families.

Sport shooting is great fun and an awesome activity, but the bottom line (for me) is that it's about self sufficiency and self defense.

Last edited:
My father and his new granola loving wife might as well work for Acorn. Their anti gun pro government run health care and so tree hugging PC they feel bad about farting outdoors. I think my dad use to be normal my parents split when i was 16 and I will admit I didn't pay much attention to politics then. But I feel his democrat succubus of a new wife has brain washed him.

I find that easing a discussion into the Katrina aftermath, and the risk of future economic collapse, terrorist attack, natural disaster, etc. goes a long way toward introducing a person you care about to the desirability of being armed.

Talk to your family members about "What if" scenarios that really could effect them.

I've had family members seek me out for firearms info when they 'wake up' to what could happen to them and their families.

Sport shooting is great fun and an awesome activity, but the bottom line (for me) is that it's about self sufficiency and self defense.

I have a good one.....try sitting them down for a few hours and watching "I Survived..." on the Biography Channel. If they don't want a gun after a few episodes, they are beyond help.

My family is mostly pro gun. My old man could careless he keeps an old coach gun In his man cave. Although he is slightly turned off by the AR but always has a shit eatin grin on his face whenever he goes to the range with me and shoots it. My mom is completly neutral on the topic she has no problem with being around them or knowing they are in the house and has even taken a safety course. The ex GF on the other hand is a complete liberal and thinks guns are icky and Obama is god hence the ex before GF on that.

My family is mostly pro gun. My old man could careless he keeps an old coach gun In his man cave. Although he is slightly turned off by the AR but always has a shit eatin grin on his face whenever he goes to the range with me and shoots it. My mom is completly neutral on the topic she has no problem with being around them or knowing they are in the house and has even taken a safety course. The ex GF on the other hand is a complete liberal and thinks guns are icky and Obama is god hence the ex before GF on that.

That ex part about the GF is totally awesome, haha. My last GF was totally pro Obama and thought of him as god as well...and while that wasn't the reason we broke up, I am forever grateful not to have to listen to her rant about his elitist tyrannical ass. She, however...while afraid of guns, never had a problem with me having guns in the apartment and one time had be check the place out with the 1911 in my hand since she thought somebody was inside late one night

My whole family is not only anti-gun, but ignorant liberals. They will vote for anyone with a D next to the name, not even knowing the candidate. They absolutely flipped out when I started getting into guns and went ballistic when the found I carried. At Christmas my brother bumped into me and could feel the gun. Then the sh*t really hit the fan. I was getting screamed at and told never to bring it in any of their houses again! No matter how I try to talk to them and explain, they are completely nuts about it. The surprising thing is that my dad was a hunter and for a brief stint, worked as an armed guard. Not sure if he really has a problem, or he is faking it to keep from getting into a confrontation with everyone else. I chaulk it all up to the pussification of America.

Holy Crap, that's harsh. I'm glad I don't have such opposition in my immediate family/siblings though we have a couple of libs lurking about (one actually used to have an LTC the other just has no interest one way or the other). Including myself, there are 7 of 9 siblings that currently have or had (sister let her license expire) LTC/CCW. I have a sister who is interested and I have to help her take the steps -- so that will make 8 of 9 soon! I just helped her son-in-law go through the process in the last couple of months and he's waiting on his license now. One of m new year's resolutions was to help at least 2 people get their LTC...Already got one down! So needless to say, though there may be a bunch of other things we disagree about in my family, the vast majority all agree on 2A issues.[smile]

My family is split over me owning a few guns. My parents are great about it. My sister freaks out. And my Aunts and Uncles rolls theres eyes at me. I shouldnt have to justify to them why I own a few guns.

I don't think anyone is really anti, but some just don't have much interest. My gun choice, or the fact that I even carry one has never really been brought up in conversation. It's really nobody's business.

Holy Crap, that's harsh. I'm glad I don't have such opposition in my immediate family/siblings though we have a couple of libs lurking about (one actually used to have an LTC the other just has no interest one way or the other). Including myself, there are 7 of 9 siblings that currently have or had (sister let her license expire) LTC/CCW. I have a sister who is interested and I have to help her take the steps -- so that will make 8 of 9 soon! I just helped her son-in-law go through the process in the last couple of months and he's waiting on his license now. One of m new year's resolutions was to help at least 2 people get their LTC...Already got one down! So needless to say, though there may be a bunch of other things we disagree about in my family, the vast majority all agree on 2A issues.[smile]

Well, they're sheeples...part of the pussification of America. They don't care about candidates or issues, they vote Dem down the line and don't even know why (other than Republicans are evil). Just the other day my wife let the AR slip and I thought my mother was going to come right through the phone.

I don't think anyone is really anti, but some just don't have much interest. My gun choice, or the fact that I even carry one has never really been brought up in conversation. It's really nobody's business.

Jen....you haven't met my family...LOL...just because I carry, they think I'm headed off to Wacco, TX and joining the cult

my mom, sister and one brother are vehemently anti-gun.
My dad is neutral on the issue. He doesn't like them, but does view the 2nd Amendment as relating to the people etc. My brother Mike I have no clue on since he came back from College he wrapped himself up in the 9/11 'conspiracy' crowd etc (He ranted on how much Bush was an idiot but how 9/11 was this mastermind coverup by Bush. Told him to pick one he couldn't).

my mom, sister and one brother are vehemently anti-gun.
My dad is neutral on the issue. He doesn't like them, but does view the 2nd Amendment as relating to the people etc. My brother Mike I have no clue on since he came back from College he wrapped himself up in the 9/11 'conspiracy' crowd etc (He ranted on how much Bush was an idiot but how 9/11 was this mastermind coverup by Bush. Told him to pick one he couldn't).

Do you honestly think Bush could be the "mastermind" behind anything???? Tell him to check his history. Part of the reason 9/11 happened was due to Clinton's inaction on terrorism and Bin Laden. I love to tell Libs that and watch them approach "head explosion" status.

Back
Top Bottom