1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

is anyone here gluten free?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by greencobra, Jul 5, 2019.

1. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

so far i've been 100% gluten free since this past saturday when i started this thread. so 5 full days, and i started the week before that just "experimenting" by eliminating the major gluten sources in my diet, like bread and the obvious culprits. this week has also been spent doing a lot of reading and educating myself. also research on products i use now to see if i can continue eating them. an example would be skippy peanut butter. peanuts are gluten free. some major brands of p'nut butter are gf but others are manufactured in facilities that make other products and cross contamination is a possibility. i just call the manufacturer, and my example here, skippy, told me all their products are gluten free. this just makes my life easier.

i don't like to post deeply personal things about myself but in this situation i will. maybe someone can get useful information from it like i did with the helpful posts you guys answered this thread with. so, some of my symptoms were severe intestinal pain, thickening of the intestinal wall to the extent a hockey puck size lump was pushing through my gut and you could see and feel it, gas, bloating and general discomfort. i was taking pain meds to help and function.

yesterday was the first day in weeks i didn't need the pain meds, today also. i noticed this morning the hockey puck is gone. gas and bloating is reduced by a lot. i have no clue if changing my diet has helped particularly because of the fact i haven't been following the diet for too long. the diet is something i need to plan out better. and investigate whats available and where to shop. the gluten free foods i've bought, only a handful, have actually been not too bad. i discovered a gf granola that i like better than the regular stuff. so finding tasty foods is half the battle.

so just some thoughts. i hope my recent results are permanent because it's given me the positive reinforcement i need to continue. and thanks to the folks who posted their thoughts and experiences for me.

beaker likes this.

2. Mtn_Guy

Mtn_Guy NES Member

One thing when going GF (gluten free) that can be difficult is giving up pasta. My past couple of GFs (girlfriends) were GF because it is the new fad thing to do amongst the crazy chicks (I know this, because apparently all I attract is crazy chicks — since we’re sharing personal facts here). Anyways, now I’m GF + GF (*mostly*) and also feeling much better about my diet and overall health and well being. (You figure out which GF is which ;)).

In an effort to be a supportive-type guy, I’d buy GF things for the GFs. This pasta is pretty good (you can buy it at Trader Joe’s if you can stomach all the Hipsters and yogis). Also, you can get Bob’s Red Mill GF chocolate cake mix at Ocean State Job Lot and use to make chocolate chocolate chip cookies that are delicious. Also if you like to keep snack bars around, the RxBars are pretty decent (and GF).

746BB9E7-BFD0-48DA-A2B6-7C004E474639.jpeg 8CDE201C-00C7-4091-BFA6-FCB2D3BF72C4.jpeg

Best of luck!

greencobra likes this.
  3. beaker

beaker NES Member

I am a Celiac, diagnosed in 2004. It is way better today than then. So the things you have to look for are wheat, rye, barley and malt. Oats are OK but only if they are specifically labeled as GF as the seeds look almost identically and they are often processes on the same equipment.

Surprisingly, Dominos has the best GF pizza. There are many excellent GF frozen pizzas.

Most supermarkets have lots of GF food now, Wal Mart, Market Basket are my favorites. Hannafords is also good but none very close to me. Costco, and most supermarkets sell Udi's multigrain bread which is the best. Costco also has a good GF frozen pizza.

Purdue GF chicken tenders are freaking awesome and are usually available in local markets, like Market Basket. Many soups are gluten free, but you have to look for the ingredients very carefully, barley soup wont list Gluten as an ingredient. Soy sauce if often from fermented wheat so you have to get GF versions, as examples.

If you like to bake, get the books by Analise Roberts, and make up the flour mixture she recommends "exactly" with no substitutions. My wife makes up a large bin of it and keeps it on the shelf for all cooking.

Distilled liquor is ok, as long as they dont flavor it with something that is a no no. The only beer i like is Redbridge by Budweiser. Wine is fine as is Champagne.

Pasta - my strong preference is pasta from Tinka Joy, rice based and just awesome in my opinion. There are many corn based pastas but i prefer the Tinka stuff much more.

Cereals be on the lookout for wheat and malt, which is often used as a sweatener. But there are tons of cereal you can buy. Rice crispis have malt in them, but other rice cereal does not. Cinnamon Chex is my favorite. Most chex cereals are GF, but not all.

Get a second toaster, one dedicated to GF stuff. If you have celiac, even a tiny crumb will set off the immune response.

If a restaurant doesnt have a dedicated fryalator, dont eat anything fried. Like french fries. McDonalds has dedicated fryere for fries so they are safe. You can order a burger no bun and fries there and they have decent handling procedures.

Restaurants. 110 Grille is just awesome for GF, as is PF Changs. Burtons grille is also fantastic.

If you want more product info PM me and i can send you a list of stuff that is really good so you dont have to waste money on not so good stuff.

King Arthur has extensive baking mixes and they are alnost all very good. They spend a lot of time doing product development for GF baking. And you can order on line from them or Amazon.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    greencobra likes this.
  4. Squire

Squire NES Member

I thought I had Keto flu bad when I first started it, turns out, I had Lyme! True story...

Now, I'm over both the Lyme and the Keto flu, never felt better!

5. PennyPincher

PennyPincher NES Member

we are "gluten free" by "default" because we are grain free. There are 19 things in grain products that are bad for your system. My book is packed right now as we are moving in 2 weeks or I would look it up. Grain including rice, corn, wheat, rye, etc.

Here's a blog post about it though.
    Making sense of gluten-free | Dr. William Davis

6. GiveMeLiberty

GiveMeLiberty NES Member

This. Try to avoid eating too much of the 'gluten-free' pizza, pretzels, etc. It's mostly corn starch from my experience.

7. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Actually, the # of people with Gluten sensitivity. . . .along with the # of kids with peanut allergies. . . . . is GROSSLY overestimated. "I'm gluten sensitive." Tested. Zero sensitivity in a blind test. It's all a fad.

I found out last week that TJ's is really Aldi's (well, there are 2 Aldi's.). Interesting. Never found anything I like at TJ's. Not one thing. I don't do prepared foods so I'm SOL anyhow.

As far as Roundup and Monsanto and such - for people who claim the sheeple are sheeple, you are all surprisingly sheeping on this one. Do your own research. Without Monsanto, we'd be royally F'd world-wide. Roundup doesn't do HALF of what people claim it can do. Good or bad. Just CTFD and spend an hour or so on the interwebs. You'll be very surprised at the truth you discover.

snax and rep308 like this.
  8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

As far as the OP - just cut it out. Period. Move on. It's a hard transition. Pick a day to do it, gear up for that day and on that day, commit.

It is a rare day I have grains at all.

You can do alternative bread and alternative pasta. But cut back severely on that anyhow. And watch your total caloric intake as well as when you eat. While WHAT you eat is about 90% of it, timing and calories do play into things. It's a good time to get healthier overall as well.

9. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Keto maybe?

10. Cowgirlup

Cowgirlup NES Member

FYI Trader Joe's Cauliflower Gnocchi's are really good. I made them with butter, Tastefully Simple garlic bread seasoning and fresh parmesan cheese. The texture was perfect! Unless cassava flour has gluten they should work for most of you.
    I'm not gluten free but not eating too much grain right now.

greencobra likes this.