Is anyone else going to start reloading this summer?

Some time this summer (likely in the next two weeks) I'm going to start reloading. Is anyone else planning on doing the same (or have you wanted to start, but been putting it off)? I'm thinking it would be a bit more fun (and a lot less scary) if I wasn't the only one doing this for the first time. Maybe we can talk someone into doing a class or seminar, exchange information, or if nothing else, wallow in our own failures together. Let me know if you're interested.

-Chris

I keep talking about it yet have not made the purchase... i believe i should be looking at the hornady lock and load setup or something similar to that name.
I want to hold off all my urges for another purchase and make this one first because I know it will pay it self off quickly.

What model you looking at?

If you shoot a lot then you NEED to reload. With the cost of ammo now you can't afford NOT to reload. So many people complain about the cost of a Dillon but that is crazy. We'll spend thousands on a single gun but can only shell out $100 for a press? Doesn't make sense. It's the best investment you'll make. Think of it this way... it's a way to be doing something shooting related when you're at home. I have a Dillon 650 with the K.I.S.S. bullet feeder and am going to add a 1050 with K.I.S.S. feeder to the mix. I wouldn't get a single stage press either because they are just way too slow. Everyone will tell you to start with one but most shooters I know never did and none of us have had a problem.

As for taking a class I think that is a GREAT idea. There is a lot to learn about reloading and the more knowledge you can gain before you start the better. Like everyone I started reading some of the books but found them to be only marginally helpful.

Like Pete said, if you shoot alot a single stage will kill you. I will say that I DO use my single stage still though. I can crank out some test loads (5 or so) very quickly with my progressive (still have the dies set up of course). I also use it to decap some cases and check the tolerances of these cases before going into full production.

With the prices of ammo going up so much I hope more people don't relaod.... finding range brass is hard enough as it is now! [rofl]

I want to correct my earlier statement. If you're shooting rifles and doing precision reloading then a single stage would work as you don't shoot a ton. If you shoot any action shooting then the single stage will kill you. you'll average around 100 rounds an hour. It will take you 2-3 minutes to shoot them. Do the math.

I started about 6 months ago and am glad I did. I'd recomend starting with a reloading manual. It will help you better understand the process and in turn make your decision on which press. People here are pretty helpfull with questions too. Take your time, do some research, and you won't regret it. I've loaded about 12k rounds on a single stage so far with no regrets but most people do not have the patience for that. Its very slooooooooow.

I've loaded about 12k rounds on a single stage so far with no regrets but most people do not have the patience for that. Its very slooooooooow.

WOW!!! That's a ton for only 6 months with a single stage! When do you have time to shoot??

Single stage is really slow (kudo's to MegaPlinker for having that kind of patience!).

A turret press is not too bad though and allows you to see the whole reloading process as it goes so you get some familiarity. I started with a lee turret press, and I'm not sorry. I can use it as a single stage, or have it auto-index to get a little speed from it. It is mounted to the bench right next to my Lee Loadmaster (blasphemey I know).

Pete is correct. If you are going to shoot alot, especially .40 or .45acp, you've got to reload or it gets expensive. With my loadmaster I can easily set up, crank out a few hundred rounds, clean up, put everything away, and have a beer in less than an hour.

Start saving your brass if you are considering reloading.

Matt

Last edited:
I started out with a Rockchucker. Good to start with, because you have to do everything yourself and that gives you time to see it all. It is for that reason that the precision rifle shooters (who tend to be an anal lot, anyway) are devotees of single-stages.

Those of us who have lives prefer to spend them actually shooting the guns we own, instead of obsessing over the brass for them. If you shoot action pistol, you'll go through 100 - 200 rounds per match; about 2 - 4 times what a rifle shooter does.

In short, if you need VOLUME, you need a progressive. I'd suggest you look seriously at the Hornady Lock-N-Load and a Dillon 550. The former is a true progressive (i.e., self-indexing); the latter is actually better for a beginner because you can check everything before you index it.

Whatever you get for a press, get carbide dies!

I started out with a Rockchucker. Good to start with, because you have to do everything yourself and that gives you time to see it all. It is for that reason that the precision rifle shooters (who tend to be an anal lot, anyway) are devotees of single-stages.

Those of us who have lives prefer to spend them actually shooting the guns we own, instead of obsessing over the brass for them. If you shoot action pistol, you'll go through 100 - 200 rounds per match; about 2 - 4 times what a rifle shooter does.

In short, if you need VOLUME, you need a progressive. I'd suggest you look seriously at the Hornady Lock-N-Load and a Dillon 550. The former is a true progressive (i.e., self-indexing); the latter is actually better for a beginner because you can check everything before you index it.

Whatever you get for a press, get carbide dies!

Excellent information. I started the same way reloading for PPC competition. I used to size and decap all my brass then use a hand primer to re-prime while sitting in front of television. When I needed to reload, I had a bucket of primed brass ready to go.

Fast forward some time, I now have 2 Dillon 550s but still use the single stage for some things.

All that said, production on a 650 seems better than a 550. If I were buying, the Dillon 650 would be my choice.

As for lessons, why not get a group and go to Kittery for their clinic?? good place to start.

While the 650 is a great volume machine, it is best dedicated to one caliber because it's such a PITA to convert over. It's also big bucks and a poor choice for a newbie because it's harder to monitor each step and pull a case out in mid-stream.

The 550 is actually more versatile because it is easier to change calibers and stop at any point in the process.

Don't believe me - Brian Enos says the same thing and he's a Dillon dealer. Go to his website and read it yourself:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html

Last edited:
I have been handloading since the 60s and have not managed to blow myself up yet.
I started because I like to shoot oddball calibers and miilitary rifles. I continue because I'd rather save 75% or more on ammo and I still ejoy shooting 32-40 and such. It is fun to shoot the old guns, and some of the new ones with nice light loads.
There are two or three things that you should consider before you start handloading. First, don't think for a minute that you will actually save any money by handloading. You will spend every penny of your savings buying more components and equipment and shooting more.
Don't cut corners when you buy your equipment. Buy the best quality that you can reasonably afford as you will use it for decades after you have forgotten the initial expense.
Start with a couple of good manuals and actually read the darn things! I find the Lyman, Lee, and Hornady very usefull for beginners and experienced handloaders alike.
A single stage press, like the RCBS Rockchucker is a good press to start handloading. Remember that what you are trying to do is to load one perfect cartridge, and then repeat the process many times. After you have mastered the basics of handloading is the time to start looking at progressive presses. The single stage press will continue to be the best solution for load developement and small batches.
If you have any questions, I'm just a PM away.

For now, all I'm really interested in reloading is .45 ACP. I shoot a good deal of .45 as it is, I'm planning to shoot even more, and it's getting EXPENSIVE. I have no problem making a significant investment upfront, because I'm sure it will pay off in the long run. I don't really shoot enough of any other caliber to make it worth while to reload anything else (yet).

From what I've been told and read, the Dillon 550 or 650 sounds like what I'm looking for, but I really haven't done my research yet. I picked up the ABCs of Reloading a couple days ago, so maybe I'll have a better idea when I'm done with that.

I'll call KTP on Monday and see if they're offering a seminar any time soon. There's not one on their website, but I figured it there are a couple other people interested, maybe we could talk them into one. Anyone else interested?

I have been handloading since the 60s and have not managed to blow myself up yet.
I started because I like to shoot oddball calibers and miilitary rifles. I continue because I'd rather save 75% or more on ammo and I still ejoy shooting 32-40 and such. It is fun to shoot the old guns, and some of the new ones with nice light loads.
There are two or three things that you should consider before you start handloading. First, don't think for a minute that you will actually save any money by handloading. You will spend every penny of your savings buying more components and equipment and shooting more.
Don't cut corners when you buy your equipment. Buy the best quality that you can reasonably afford as you will use it for decades after you have forgotten the initial expense.
Start with a couple of good manuals and actually read the darn things! I find the Lyman, Lee, and Hornady very usefull for beginners and experienced handloaders alike.
A single stage press, like the RCBS Rockchucker is a good press to start handloading. Remember that what you are trying to do is to load one perfect cartridge, and then repeat the process many times. After you have mastered the basics of handloading is the time to start looking at progressive presses. The single stage press will continue to be the best solution for load developement and small batches.
If you have any questions, I'm just a PM away.

I have been reloading since the late 50's and still use a Herters "O" press for most rifle calibers, a Dillon 550 for pistol, and MEC for shotgun. I cast a lot of lead alloy bullets for single shot rifles & pistols, and enjoy every minute of it.
The making and the shooting!

I have been reloading since the late 50's and still use a Herters "O" press for most rifle calibers, a Dillon 550 for pistol, and MEC for shotgun. I cast a lot of lead alloy bullets for single shot rifles & pistols, and enjoy every minute of it.
The making and the shooting!

Herters, now that's going back. I still have an old catalogue around somewhere.
A much more interesting "wishbook" than the Sears catalogue.[grin]

I still have all of my casting stuff and most of a ton of lead and alloy. Looks, from the price of bullets, like it might get some use sooner than I had hoped. Like many others, I have kind of forgotten about the satisfaction gained from casting your own, loading them, and then shooting a gratifyingly small group from a classic rifle.

Maybe it is time to slow down and take another look.
Thanks for the reminder.[smile]

Start reloading???|||| I've not stopped. In fact I just loaded up 300 rds 45 acp
for fun and games sometime this week. If you buy a press set up,the 550 is the way to go easy caliber conversion easier to change from large to small primer cups And it will do just about any rifle/pistol caliber that you can think of. and now it has a case feeder so all you do is insert bullets.
I volunteered to run a clinic at my club but so far no takers

Looking into the web at the moment for the Hornady Lock and Load

Is this a good one to start off with:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=679228

Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Progressive Press

An automatic 5 station press with the Lock-N-Load quick change technology. Features fully automatic indexing and a 5-station die platform that accepts most standard 7/8 x 14 thread dies. Capable of loading rifle or handgun cartridges with large or small primers. Press comes complete with a Lock-N-Load Powder Measure, case activated powder drop, cartridge catcher, primer pick-up tubes and 3 Lock-N-Load Bushings. An easy to access shellplate is required (sold separately).

Last edited:
Looking into the web at the moment for the Hornady Lock and Load

Is this a good one to start off with:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=679228

Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Progressive Press

An automatic 5 station press with the Lock-N-Load quick change technology. Features fully automatic indexing and a 5-station die platform that accepts most standard 7/8 x 14 thread dies. Capable of loading rifle or handgun cartridges with large or small primers. Press comes complete with a Lock-N-Load Powder Measure, case activated powder drop, cartridge catcher, primer pick-up tubes and 3 Lock-N-Load Bushings. An easy to access shellplate is required (sold separately).

Don't forget the 1,000 free bullets!

Remember, you'll need bushings and shell plates for each caliber; equivalent to the toolhead and conversion kit for a Dillon.

Yeah, I'm thinking of taking up IDPA shooting. Those guys can fire off 200+ rounds at a single meeting. Nothing less than 9mm. I can see me getting into reloading eventually, it just seems like a really involved process.

Yeah, I'm thinking of taking up IDPA shooting. Those guys can fire off 200+ rounds at a single meeting. Nothing less than 9mm. I can see me getting into reloading eventually, it just seems like a really involved process.

Its not that bad once you get started. I have a different press for each caliber, but I load on the Lee Pro 1000, and they only cost $120 a piece.

If you are going to get into IDPA or USPSA, you need to reload, not only will you save alot of money, you also get ammo that shoots alot better

highlander,
Sounds like you might have some interest right here.
Perhaps you could start a new thread offering a clinic and see if there are any takers.
BTW, Where is your club?
Cape Ann in Gloucester. I have taught others to reload by giving literal hands on
experience ie bring your components to my home and I would show you on my setup step by step and walk you thru the process AND my fee was cheap sub sandwich and Pepsi.

Don't forget the 1,000 free bullets!

Remember, you'll need bushings and shell plates for each caliber; equivalent to the toolhead and conversion kit for a Dillon.

Yup i would take the .45 for the 1,000 free.

I had picked out the shell plates but have not done the bushings.

Anything else anyone else suggests I drop in my cart to start this off right when I order this up?

Yup i would take the .45 for the 1,000 free.

I had picked out the shell plates but have not done the bushings.

Anything else anyone else suggests I drop in my cart to start this off right when I order this up?

You can't load dirty cases. That means a tumbler (I suggest vibratory) and media.

You can't make loads up as you go along. You need at least two sources for any given bullet/propellant combo; I suggest a Lyman manual and one other, plus downloading the appropriate data from the propellant manufacturers' websites.

Scales! How else will you know how much you're throwing?

Dial or LCD calipers, so you can measure case length (for rifles, especially) and overall cartridge length (for everything!).

That should keep you busy for a while.... [wink]

Great information.

Thanks so much for taking out the time... if anyone has recommended manufactures and sources of the tumbler or scale chime on in.

Looking to do this in one clean web order :)

I personally have the Lyman turbo 1200 tumbler. It works great! I have the Frankford Arsenal dial calipers. There are others out there that are more expensive, but these work just fine, and they are accurate.

Herters, now that's going back. I still have an old catalogue around somewhere.
A much more interesting "wishbook" than the Sears catalogue.[grin]

I still have all of my casting stuff and most of a ton of lead and alloy. Looks, from the price of bullets, like it might get some use sooner than I had hoped. Like many others, I have kind of forgotten about the satisfaction gained from casting your own, loading them, and then shooting a gratifyingly small group from a classic rifle.

Maybe it is time to slow down and take another look.
Thanks for the reminder.[smile]

It would appear that we have a lot in common. I like the old rolling block's, highwall's, & Ruger#1's. I probably have the only single shot 460 Weatherby target rifle in existance, built on a 1917 Enfield action. Also one in 45/70.
P.M. me sometime if you want to talk. My last Herters catalog was lost in a fire and that was a terrible loss, it was alway's good for a chuckle!
I do my shooting at the Harvard club.

Great information.

Thanks so much for taking out the time... if anyone has recommended manufactures and sources of the tumbler or scale chime on in.

Looking to do this in one clean web order :)

I bought the Frankford Arsenal tumbler kit with seperator from Midway. Works fine. Holds several hundred .45 cases at a time. I'm sure there are better, but this works nicely.

You can get dial calipers or digital calipers from any tool supply. The gun places charge too much.

Anyone have one of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=713372
That's a good price for an electronic scale. I'm really don't like my balance scale.

Matt

Last edited:
I have a single stage Lee turret press. Started reloading at age 12 but haven't done any in quite a while, minus shotshells.

Oh, as for tumbler, I just ordered a Frankford Arsenal one to replace my old one which was scratchbuilt, and my scale is the RCBS 5-0-5 which is excellent. I also use a RCBS uniflow powder measure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom