• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is an MA DL required for a res LTC?

EDIT: Per the LTC instructions here, you need an MA DL or ID.

Can I begin and complete the application process? Will I need to show an MA DL at the appointment?

Firearm safety course completed but have an out of state license. DLs at the RMV are appointment only and booking a month out. I have an appointment but do not know if I will need to reschedule for work (9-5 M-F).

I am aware of the 30 day license conversion law, due to RMV scheduling restraints that deadline is impossible to meet.

Last edited:
As of Sept 20th the rules changed. Walk ins are now allowed they suggest early morning or late afternoons as people with appointment times will be taken first. Walk ins will be helped as time is available. Seems like an airline standby kind of thing.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20221018-100436_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20221018-100436_Chrome.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 10
As of Sept 20th the rules changed. Walk ins are now allowed they suggest early morning or late afternoons as people with appointment times will be taken first. Walk ins will be helped as time is available. Seems like an airline standby kind of thing.
This morning I was in line and they turned everyone without a DL appointment away, only registration non appointments were accepted

Can I begin and complete the application process? Will I need to show an MA DL at the appointment?

Firearm safety course completed but have an out of state license. DLs at the RMV are appointment only and booking a month out. I have an appointment but do not know if I will need to reschedule for work (9-5 M-F).

I am aware of the 30 day license conversion law, due to RMV scheduling restraints that deadline is impossible to meet.
No it is not required. I moved from NH and gave them my NH DL. This was about 4 months ago and I received a non-restricted resident LTC.

Edit: this may be a Boston-only “requirement”.

The walk in rule change is for registrations only, DLs still require appointments although sometimes if you get there and they have availability they'll take walk ins.

ID or DL.

You can skip to post 38 if you don't want to read.

Post 38 is about renewal but the form we have to fill is the same one.

Then go a few posts back and find the download of the actual application. Ignore that link you posted.

From the Email they sent me:
NEW LTC / FID: Applicants must submit:

1. Completed Application

2. COPY OF Basic Firearms Safety Certificate or Basic Hunter Education Course Certificate

3. COPY OF US Birth Certificate or valid US Passport or Naturalization documents or valid permanent resident card

4. COPY OF Valid Massachusetts Driver’s license or Massachusetts ID. With a Boston address.

5. Proof of payment.

ID or DL.

You can skip to post 38 if you don't want to read.

Post 38 is about renewal but the form we have to fill is the same one.

Then go a few posts back and find the download of the actual application. Ignore that link you posted.

From the Email they sent me:
The link also states

‘Applicants will be required to qualify at the Boston Police Department Firearms Range at Moon Island within two weeks of the date of the application’

Is this still true?

The link also states

‘Applicants will be required to qualify at the Boston Police Department Firearms Range at Moon Island within two weeks of the date of the application’

Is this still true?
It is not. Ignore the link you posted

Go download the application in the other thread.

I will update the OP after my next conference call to make it clear for everyone.

I can only give you my personal experience. I owned a house in Hopkinton MA and the chief renewed my LTC for two cycles after I moved back to Pennsylvania. He acknowledged I didn’t live there and renewed my LTC with a PA license.

I can only give you my personal experience. I owned a house in Hopkinton MA and the chief renewed my LTC for two cycles after I moved back to Pennsylvania. He acknowledged I didn’t live there and renewed my LTC with a PA license.

Yeah if you own property in both places though you can claim residency... if the PD isnt shit they should be able to take a copy of your town tax bill as proof of residency, but I have no idea exactly what is kosher under MGL, I know people do the "dualie" thing all the time though.

Those instructions are obsolete since they still mention restrictions.

Also, they failed to include a "for which a jail or prison term may be imposed" to the gun/ammo law violation DQ.

An RMV appointment for today popped up, now I’m driving from Boston to Pittsfield to get an MA Real ID. Love exercising my 2A rights. 🤣

Last edited:
Nether did I, but I never lived in Boston! Boston does a lot of oddball stuff, always has and always will.
Let's pretend for the purpose of discussion that the CLEO is acting in good faith.

In my understanding, he is only empowered to produce licenses for persons who reside (or own a business) in his town. Is that correct?

For most of us, this will be covered by our DL. Someone with multiple residences might have reason to have their driving info tied to an address outside of the Commonwealth. For such a person, how is the chief going to know you're applying in the right town if you don't provide proof of residence (or business)?

Taken another way - what's to stop you from applying at my address, other than' your good character?

Obviously, state websites are not good arbiters of what's legal, but this page (Apply for a firearms license) makes a point to note
  • You will need to submit:
    • [...]
    • A form of identification
  • You may need to submit:
    • Proof of residence

Let's pretend for the purpose of discussion that the CLEO is acting in good faith.

In my understanding, he is only empowered to produce licenses for persons who reside (or own a business) in his town. Is that correct?

For most of us, this will be covered by our DL. Someone with multiple residences might have reason to have their driving info tied to an address outside of the Commonwealth. For such a person, how is the chief going to know you're applying in the right town if you don't provide proof of residence (or business)?

Taken another way - what's to stop you from applying at my address, other than' your good character?

Obviously, state websites are not good arbiters of what's legal, but this page (Apply for a firearms license) makes a point to note
  • You will need to submit:
    • [...]
    • A form of identification
  • You may need to submit:
    • Proof of residence
I don't think that Boston will agree, but legally you can be a dual resident (I was one for 3 yrs, MA and NH with both chiefs knowing the situation).

I registered one car in NH with a MA DL, I had to provide proof of residence (deed, RE tax bill) and they had to call Concord, so it was a little involved.

When I registered to vote, picked up my NH Resident P/R and each time I vote in my NH town, I have to show my DL (NH). When I picked up my Resident P/R I still had a MA DL but the chief OK'd it.

There is more than one way to prove who you are and/or where you live than a DL. m

I don't think that Boston will agree, but legally you can be a dual resident (I was one for 3 yrs, MA and NH with both chiefs knowing the situation).

I registered one car in NH with a MA DL, I had to provide proof of residence (deed, RE tax bill) and they had to call Concord, so it was a little involved.

When I registered to vote, picked up my NH Resident P/R and each time I vote in my NH town, I have to show my DL (NH). When I picked up my Resident P/R I still had a MA DL but the chief OK'd it.

There is more than one way to prove who you are and/or where you live than a DL. m
I agree. And that's my point.

Say your DL is in NH. You own a house in MA. You want a MA resident LTC. You will have to show proof of residence.

For most of us, this won't come up because the DL is both proof of ID and residence in a single item. For someone who doesn't have that, he'll need to present positive proof of residence - e.g., utilities, lease, etc.

That doesn't mean we didn't give proof of residence, just that it was part of our ID.

When I requested the "proof of residence" signature on my RI form, the detective got back to me with "you are not even registered to vote in this town" so I know he checked that. I was a very new resident, and my house closing papers were accepted as proof. I received polite and professional treatment, but I think the detective would go on a search for confirming evidence if his mother told him she loved him.

Last edited:
Just completed the safety course. Going into Boston PD tomorrow with a completed application and all the paperwork. Will report back.

Last edited:
I printed all of the items required for the application and went to the Boston PD headquarters in Roxbury. I added extensive supplemental information from a previous self-defense case I was involved in that sent multiple people to the hospital, including me. I included pictures, police reports, and court proceedings in my application to request that the licensing process be expedited. They took my application, I paid $100, and I was fingerprinted.

The application documents I brought were a copy of my temporary MA DL, copy of passport, copy of birth certificate, copy of FSC certificate, and copy of lease agreement. I brought more documents than necessary to avoid any confusion.

The Boston background check was completed successfully, the sergeant said the state police background will be complete in 48 hours, and it will be 8-10 weeks processing time until license issuance.

In all the states I have gotten licensed in, everyone has been very understanding and helpful expediting the application process in regards to the circumstances I was involved in.

**EDIT** The sergeant said they are not requiring references or employment information on LTC applications. Throughout this process the sergeant mentioned nothing of the previous Moon Island range qualification requirement.

Last edited:
The Boston background check was completed successfully, the sergeant said the state police background will be complete in 48 hours, and it will be 8-10 weeks processing time until license issuance.

In all the states I have gotten licensed in, everyone has been very understanding and helpful expediting the application process in regards to the circumstances I was involved in.
So you are saying they are "Expediting" the process to a mere 16 to 30 days beyond the statutory limit?

So you are saying they are "Expediting" the process to a mere 16 to 30 days beyond the statutory limit?
I sought to skip the period of time from when you email your application to when you get an appointment

I also edited the post above to say "The sergeant said they are not requiring references or employment information on LTC applications." and "Throughout this process the sergeant mentioned nothing of the previous Moon Island range qualification requirement."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom