• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is a Sealed Spam Can "Locked"

The MA laws related to storage of ammo says it "shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use". Do you think a sealed (unopened) spam can might pass muster?

762x54r.jpg

And no, I don't want to be the first to try and argue this in court! Just wondering what your take on this is. [smile]

I think it's harder to open that can with out an opener than it is to open some safes with out a key.

Naw, You just have to go at it with a hammer and chisel, like I do.

This was purely sarcastic...do not try this at home. [laugh]

I've seen at least one youtuber do this (hammer and screw driver). Nuts considering every other round is primer up!

I asked this once, and the consensus was that a spam can, even inside a banded crate, is probably not 'locked'. Harder to get into than most 'safes', but not 'locked'.

And what kind of assault are you planning with 440 rounds of ammo that is capable of penetrating bullet proof vests? Nobody needs that much ammo.[smile]

You're not referring to a law, you're referring to the fire code: 527 CMR 13.04. The specific requirement is that ammunition be stored in it's original container and such containers stored in a 'locked' cabinet, closet, etc. The problem with the CRM is that it doesn't define the problem it's trying to solve. Courts tend to read laws (an regulations) as literally as possible. The spam can is not 'locked'. You do the math.

The MA laws related to storage of ammo says it "shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use". Do you think a sealed (unopened) spam can might pass muster?

762x54r.jpg

And no, I don't want to be the first to try and argue this in court! Just wondering what your take on this is. [smile]

If it ain't got a lock hanging off of it it ain't locked. IANAL.

Sure, why not. It needs a "key" to open it...

Some creative person should come up with some adhesive 'Spam' labels that we can stick on these, and then just stack them up in our kitchens.

Did one Sunday before heading to the range. Less than 60 seconds. I was actually surprised, I thought it'd be like using a P38, but the opener whizzed through that thing like BUTTAH.

- - - Updated - - -

"unsafe ammo storage" is not enforceable by police iirc

But might indicate an "unsuitable" LTC-holder, so I'd be careful...

I've opened a few with the supplied opener and it took 2-3 minutes.

Sent from my handheld electronic thingamabob.

Back
Top Bottom