Is a Gun Trust Viable in Massachusetts?

dustoff22

NES Member
For several years I've encouraged a good friend to establish a gun trust since he has three big safes' full and he's getting on in years. He's spent a whole lot of time cataloging and garnering appropriate information only to be told by a lawyer friend of his that it's of no use in Massachusetts.

Looking at a few threads on Gun Trusts, I get the idea it would the smart thing to do. Right or wrong?

The biggest benefits I see are:

1. Easier to pass on to family or whomever after you croak
  2. If you plan to have NFA items that can be 'possessed' by others (e.g. spouse, family, whatever)

If you have three big safes of shit you might inherit via an estate you need to talk to someone like nstassel stat.... don't f*** around with this.

-Mike

My understanding is that a trust can not "own" the guns in MA., they can only be owned by an individual with the proper LTC obviously.

My own trust was done for a SBR but with the intention of when I move out of MA at retirement they will be transferred to the trust unless Janet Mills screws that plan up. My wife is a trustee on the trust as is a friend up here. This trust was also done prior to the ATFE rules changing notification.

I used Rock Maple from here on NES to draft my trust and our will and was very happy with his work and pricing.

His will should be current and rather clear on what happens to his collection.

Back
Top Bottom