• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is A Full Size Pistol Even Necessary?

I recently added a Sig P365 as my daily carry in place of a first generation S.A. XDS 9mm and a S.A. 911.

Between the Sig P365 and P365XL and the 10,12,and 15 round capacity options it had me wondering why I need a full size pistol anymore?

I have owned and shot 10s of thousands of rounds through 9mm Glocks and M&Ps over the years but never loved a 19 or 9c as daily carry because of the bulk. In a free state, maybe it makes sense for the 15 rounds, but in ban states that’s a big gun for 10 rounds.

I’m not ready to abandon my 5” M&P 2.0 yet but the new breed of super compact, 10+ round capacity, optic ready pistols really has me wondering if I really need a “full size” pistol anymore?
Never shoot a large caliber human/animal with a small caliber weapon.

I recently added a Sig P365 as my daily carry in place of a first generation S.A. XDS 9mm and a S.A. 911.

Between the Sig P365 and P365XL and the 10,12,and 15 round capacity options it had me wondering why I need a full size pistol anymore?

I have owned and shot 10s of thousands of rounds through 9mm Glocks and M&Ps over the years but never loved a 19 or 9c as daily carry because of the bulk. In a free state, maybe it makes sense for the 15 rounds, but in ban states that’s a big gun for 10 rounds.

I’m not ready to abandon my 5” M&P 2.0 yet but the new breed of super compact, 10+ round capacity, optic ready pistols really has me wondering if I really need a “full size” pistol anymore?
I dont think you need a full size gun for CCW, the P365 and the Hellcat are proof. It even makes the case for not needing compact guns. Mostly a matter of preference. For matches, or home defense, or range use are still highy relevant.

I dont think you need a full size gun for CCW, the P365 and the Hellcat are proof. It even makes the case for not needing compact guns. Mostly a matter of preference. For matches, or home defense, or range use are still highy relevant.

Sure, I do agree.
My point in asking the question is mostly for fun, like I said, I don’t have any plans to get rid of my 5” M&P... I just hope the trend, in my opinion, of ultra compact, very shootable 9mm pistols continues.

The problem with the question posed in this thread is that no one has defined "necessary." Do that, and you likely answer the question.

As often as not, I carry a "compact" SIG. I do that because I do not expect to encounter a problem. Tell me that I am going to encounter a gun fight, and that I can't talk my way into going the other way, and I'd swap the compact for a "full size" pistol every time. And a shotgun, too, if I could.

These days i carry the glock 19 when i am going sonewhere unless i am in workout clothes. I have given up carrying even the 42 and just take two knives with me instead. I my years of ccw-ing, i have carried small mouse guns like the khar and the lcp. I have also carried the glock 26 on multiple occasions and as big as an hk usp. I settled on the glock 19 because i have preban mags on it so i am not wasting any space. Which i suspect if you had some preban mags you would carry a bigger gun. Second for my hands, a glock 19 is a full size handgun. The only gun i would consider it's replacement if i were in a free state may be a 48 with the shield arms 15 round mag. But i would have to test it.

Also when clothing eliminates my 5o'clock side carry i just purse carry the 19. So that is a tad unique

Why not try a messenger bag carry if you needed to?

The quote should read, carry what you shoot the most accurately with the quickest follow up shots. And for me that is the glock 19.

I've started carrying my P320 Compact and find that it's very comfortable in comparison to my P938, which I carried almost every day for the last 6 years or so. The 938 obviously carries a bit better because it's lighter and smaller but I shoot my P320 so much better, especially at distances greater than 10 -15 yards. I'm liking this fact and starting to feel that carrying what I consider a mid size handgun (the P320) preferable unless deeper concealment is required. Being able to reach out and touch somebody, if need be, is a definite advantage these days - it seems to be getting worse and worse out there in the land of milk and honey!

IWB carrying a Sig P938 is cool because it isn’t terrible drawing and you can get off quick successive shots better than say, the S&W BG380. That has to do with the steel frame and better trigger of the Sig, I’m sure. But the P938 sucks to draw in a hurry. It can be done, but it’s certainly more challenging than grabbing something with a girthy frame like a Glock 17.

That being said, The Beretta 92FS is a great full-size handgun. Get the right belt and OWB holster and you can get quick draw times from that and multiple followup shots quickly, no problem. However, if I had one I would carry a 1911 without hesitation. The great thing about these beefy, full-sized handguns is they’re easy to grab under duress and if you train enough you’ll decrease your draw time, increase your vision/target acquisition, and get good followup shots without any difficulty. With that added mass comes less muzzle rise! My instructor and I shot a Ruger P85 awhile ago, and man we felt like Robocop shooting that tank of a gun!

Back
Top Bottom