Is a cwof that shows dismissed, a federal disqualifier with Nics?

I'll keep this short and sweet. 10 years ago was arrested defending myself, and the person I defended myself from was friendly with the locals and I got charged with a&b with a dangerous weapon, that charge shows dismissed on my CORI, and shows as a NON-CONVICTION.

I was also charged with misdemeanor a&b, and that charge was CWOF'D, and shows as dismissed, and as a NON-CONVICTION, in mY CORI.

I wanted to make sure since they are dismissed and non-convictions, that I'm not federally disqualified in NICS.

Thanks very much for your responses.

I'll keep this short and sweet. 10 years ago was arrested defending myself, and the person I defended myself from was friendly with the locals and I got charged with a&b with a dangerous weapon, that charge shows dismissed on my CORI, and shows as a NON-CONVICTION.

I was also charged with misdemeanor a&b, and that charge was CWOF'D, and shows as dismissed, and as a NON-CONVICTION, in mY CORI.

I wanted to make sure since they are dismissed and non-convictions, that I'm not federally disqualified in NICS.

Thanks very much for your responses.
The only three places where CWOFs are currently treated as convictions are:

1. A CWOF is treated as a "previous offense" for the purposes of subsequent offense sentence enhancement in case of OUI, and is available to the court when considering sentencing, or whether a CWOF is allowed, in other cases. (updated because I originally forgot to mention OUI).

2. A CWOF is considered a "finding" (ie, conviction) for the purposes of CDL licensing

3. A CWOF for OUI is considered an conviction by the registry for the insurance punishment point system.

But, be aware, the state has added ex post facto disqualifiers in the past and there is always the chance it will add CWOF or CWOF w/ASF to the list of state level disqualifiers at some time in the future.

Last edited:
For future reference, please do not spam the forums by posting this in multiple places. Your posts in two different forums regarding this were 2 minutes apart.

Edied to add: I stand corrected. Two new forum threads and a reply to another post all within about 3 minutes on this very same topic. Dont do it in the future. If you want an answer right away, or as fast as possible, pick the most appropriate forum, and stick to it!

The only two places where CWOFs are currently treated as convictions are:

1. A CWOF is treated as a "previous offense" for the purposes of subsequent offense sentence enhancement

2. A CWOF is considered a "finding" (ie, conviction) for the purposes of CDL licensing

But, be aware, the state has added ex post facto disqualifiers in the past and there is always the chance it will add CWOF or CWOF w/ASF to the list of state level disqualifiers at some time in the future.

I think this might be limited to OUI offenses.

Back
Top Bottom