• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is a bayonet a knife?

mac1911

NES Member
i have 3 10" M1 garand bayonets on the way. Possible german manufacture for US gov. Then issued to greece?
Post a pick when they come in.

IMG_4392.JPG My Garand bayo (left) has a 10" blade, but some of the Greek loaners had their blades shortened, which is a travesty IMHO, Thats a nice pickup! Congrats

"Is this a dagger which I see before me,
The handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee.
I have thee not, and yet I see thee still."
Macbeth

A bayonet is surely a knife, or at least kin to it. Some more resemble swords and other smaller ones, fighting knives.

I vote a very strong Yes!

~Matt

Heard that double edge knives are illegal in Massachusetts - is that correct?

Then is a bayonet illegal?

its a bayonet not a knife. I think legality of knives is concealment and possession , like having a bayonet tucked under your seat?

ETjM0uT.jpg

I’m sure the state thinks they’re knives. But bayonets descend from spears, and are supposed to be used that way.

Generally, a good bayonet doesn’t make the best fighting knife. And a good fighting knife doesn’t make the best bayonet.

Double edged knives are not illegal in Mass, per se. It is unlawful to carry one on one's person, or under one's direct control in a vehicle.

q.v.: General Law - Part IV, Title I, Chapter 269, Section 10

So you can own them, and take them to the range if you do it properly, and put it on your milsurp toy, so after you've emptied the ammo pouch, you can charge the target, and be in compliance with the law.

Range rules, and good taste....maybe not. [laugh]

It has been awhile since you posted your question and the answer is both. It is legal to own a double edged knife, but it is illegal to carry a double edged knife.

Most bayonets have a sharpened edge and opposite to it there is a "false" edge. Although it may appear to be sharpened, it isn't

Back
Top Bottom