Is $2000 an unresonable amount to ask?

Now you did it..I had to go pull my 1911 out of the safe and give it a look-see. Serial # C 995xx. Someone once told me it was made in 1919. What do I have (which model?) thanks for your input. jim

1918 Commercial. It is in the serial number range that I posted earlier.

Sam Lisker who runs the website www.coltautos.com has a pic of another Commercial Colt Government Model from the same era that has the same spelling.

http://www.coltautos.com/

Go to his website and at the top center, just below his header is a "Quick Search" block. Choose the "Model 1911 & 1911A1 Government Model .45ACP" and you will see it.

Collectors Gun Gallery in Stoneham has a 1918 for sale and it's listed at $3700.00..

Take it over there and ask them.

I've sent the gun id and photos to www.coltautos.com. I think the gun may be an anolamie because as i've said it doesn't have the "c" prefix but it doesn't say US on the gun anywhere. We'll see what info I get back.

Thanks

I've sent the gun id and photos to www.coltautos.com. I think the gun may be an anolamie because as i've said it doesn't have the "c" prefix but it doesn't say US on the gun anywhere. We'll see what info I get back.

Thanks
Actually you said it did have a "c" in the OP. It was common for refinish jobs post WWII to grind that us government stamp off. If it has no c prefix it is a mil piece.

Actually you said it did have a "c" in the OP. It was common for refinish jobs post WWII to grind that us government stamp off. If it has no c prefix it is a mil piece.

Your very right Terraformer, I hadn't taken the gun out of the safe prior to my original post. Apparently I was mistaken. I took the gun out and shot some photos, sent them to Sam Lisker. Sam's response suggested the gun is a vintage 1918 U.S. Army issue. Sam quote follows:

"It's a military gun for sure and the serial number puts it in the Army sn range. I've seen many of these guns where the Government markings have been removed and this could be the case with your gun as well"

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I guess the gun is worth anywhere from $2K to 3.5K I know that's a large range. I'm going to see if I can get 2.5K for the gun and both holsters. Once again thank you.

Your very right Terraformer, I hadn't taken the gun out of the safe prior to my original post. Apparently I was mistaken. I took the gun out and shot some photos, sent them to Sam Lisker. Sam's response suggested the gun is a vintage 1918 U.S. Army issue. Sam quote follows:

"It's a military gun for sure and the serial number puts it in the Army sn range. I've seen many of these guns where the Government markings have been removed and this could be the case with your gun as well"

From what I have seen, Lisker knows his stuff. Glad to see that you have found its pedigree.

Here's what it would have looked like originally, save the grips which were temporary in this pic.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/91987-Back-from-the-Dead

Yours appears to be missing the lanyard loop. You can see the grinding in one of the last pics greg posted. If you remove the slide and look head on at the frame, you will see the left side (right as you look at it) is thinner than the left. In those pics you can see a wavy edge as the frame transitions from the side to the bottom. This is where the "US Government Property" was and means the gun you have had likely been refinished back in the day.

For that price you might have better luck selling it on consignment at a shop. Shops have the advantage of high traffic as well as being able to take multiple forms of payments.

Back
Top Bottom