• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is $2000 an unresonable amount to ask?

FLHTC

NES Member
I have a colt 1911A1 from what I can gather it was made in 1918. The prefix of the serial number is "C" which I've been told denotes Commercial. I have the original mag(s) and two US holsters. I love the gun but I don’t shoot it, I was thinking of selling it to buy something else. What are your thoughts on the asking price?

Colt3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have very much experience with 1911s of this vintage, but I just saw a Colt 1911 fro 1914 (I think) at Roach's Sporting Goods in Cambridge, and it was going for like $2500 I think, so you're in the ballpark with that at least..

It is easy to detemine if it is a 1911 or 1911A1. Are there relief cuts on the frame behind the trigger? The shape of the mainspring housing is arched on the A1 model but this part can be replaced so it's not s definitive ID feature. There are other minor differences also.

I belive what I have is a A1 but when I looked up the serial number it came up with a date of MFG as 1918

Given it's commercial, you should definitely get a certificate from colt before doing anything. That will give you the best indication of when it was mfgd. If it is an A1, it may be later and not as valuable.

The other thing that will affect price is originality. Has it been refinished, does it have the original grips, what kind of wear does it show, etc.

The other thing that will affect price is originality. Has it been refinished, does it have the original grips, what kind of wear does it show, etc.

I'm new to posting pictures but I did post one of the gun, maybe I did it wrong, can you guys see the picture?

So I guess I would contact Colt with the serial number and they would give me the history of the gun?
The don't GIVE you anything. The historical letter is not cheap - $100 in the case of your gun (see the details at http://www.coltsmfg.com/archive.aspx).

I expect that it's not just a matter of a database lookup - chances are the old records have not been converted and someone actually has to look through file cabinets to dig out the info.

Their price list also shows that Colt wants to be cut in for part of the action when the letter documents value - note the surcharges to confirm items that increase the value of the gun (factory engraving, famous recipients of the gun, etc.). Colt also charges (but at a reduced rate) to look even if they can provide no information other than "no info found".

It doesn't look like an A1 - No cutout behind the trigger, straight backstrap, and long spur hammer.

It looks like a 1911.

Last edited:
Now you did it..I had to go pull my 1911 out of the safe and give it a look-see. Serial # C 995xx. Someone once told me it was made in 1919. What do I have (which model?) thanks for your input. jim

14vpu1s.jpg

1z2oal1.jpg

Last edited:
My Thompson 1928a1 submachinegun made in 1942 has it spelled that way

Then maybe I am wrong and the american gun industry went through a UK fan boy stage.

ETA: I see you added a pic. If the pic is accurate and I can't see a proof mark because it's not there, 1919 is a good bet. From late 1919 until the early 20s they stopped stamping proof marks (located above the mag release).

Back
Top Bottom