• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Iron Glock

Final iteration...coated with an "earth" textured paint, heat cured.

null_zps024aa664.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
null_zps79a417eb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
null_zpsdd292e78.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now I need to buy some sights...didn't want to waste the money if the rest of the project didn't work out.

null_zpsc5c8c73b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

null_zpsed7323b2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

null_zps9341c1de.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

null_zps49439747.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

null_zps67455ba0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

null_zps29070006.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Boris,

You know I'm not sure you couldn't produce your frame kits in "pre-welded" form sans pin holes and still easily meet the ATF requirement they require 20% or more to complete.
Only adaptation required would be to create a drill template - ideally with an index point for alignment.
If the user has to drill the holes, do all the grinding to fit the slide - the locking block, etc, plus either finish out a "1" spec frame, or do the work to seat a "3" series inside polymer, they're easily doing most of the work. This would undoubtedly increase interest just as is the case with 80% AR and 1911 frames/receivers because the most daunting part that requires a fair degree of skill an investment in welding equipment come already done.
Just a thought and my .34 cents worth cause this system and method of building is the only way to acquire a Glock!

I'm going to pm you about another idea you may or may not be interested in R&Ding.

This.
I already have all the welding tools but I suck at welding because I don't have a lot of experience.

This.
I already have all the welding tools but I suck at welding because I don't have a lot of experience.
What type of gear you got?
You can always take some classes at a local voc high school. They run around 200$. Good investment in my book.

Ps if your trying to tig weld and having trouble feeding rod cut a length like six inches long and play with it while your watching tv. it's a great way to get your fingers etc used to it and you don't screw up the tungsten etc .

I've welded .050" steel using MIG but it takes finesse, heat sinking, and luck to get good results and not end up with melted edges. Of course TIG is the preferred arc process for this kind of work because it's pin point accurate and with proper heat control - and some finesse one can "surgically" join the pieces and end up with super strong welds.
i personally like to gas weld using my Henrob because with a little warm up I can put down a solid bead with very good heat control. With this project I had to play with tip sizes because getting the right heat on a fillet weld against the grip body required more heat - "quicker" heat, than seaming up the front grip edges. Enclosing the trigger housing really needed a smaller tip but my "0" size just couldn't get enough heat in quickly, and the "1" was right on the ragged edge of melting the thin section, and I managed to finesse it into a solid closure bead, but I really needed a .5 tip which I didn't have during the welding of this project. Take note how often I talk about "finessing" because the real difference between an average or poor welder and a master is the development of skill/technique/finesse using whatever welding process available. The best and only way to get comfortable and good at welding is go out and burn up some steel...and melt some aluminum.
i'd love to have the spare change to drop on a Multiplaz system that uses water and electricity to produce a 14k degree plasma "flame" that can weld all ferrous and nonferrous as well as make precision cuts in all metals and even non metals such as stone and tile.

I forgot to mention another reason I prefer gas welding...because once I'm set up for the day with regs adjusted I can grab the torch, light off, and have a JoF flame in seconds, and only need a pair of dark shades for eye protection, don't need gloves (unless getting close), nor a leather coat, and leather cap to keep out UV radiation, and sparks. O/A is a very calm process.

BTW my finished "Iron" G19 tips the scales at 27 ounces sans mag, 29.4 ounces with G19, 15rd mag. By comparison my factory G20SF weighs only 28 ounces and most of that is the massive slide.

Any word on when the Marigold-3 kits will be available again? I've been wanting to do this build for a while now and now that i want to pull the trigger the kits are sold out!

I haven't been on here in awhile, I planned on making a few more bit due to money issues couldn't. My original one I used the hfc frame like Boris but the mag catch ended up breaking. So I redid mine with a better quality frame. I found on airsplat.com a bare frame for a gas blowback glock for $19. Much higher quality all pin holes were able to line up and the mag catch needed no modification at all.

http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/mopar14889/library/iron glock2

Last edited:
I knew I should've bought a couple kits when they were in stock. Now just gotta wait, and who knows for how long..

Boris,

All your helpful photos have been taken down. Any chance that you might repost them?

Will you offer Kits again anytime in the historical future?

Seems a long time since your last project.

Can you come up with a good way to make a 1911A1 style pistol—or at least a pistol that wouldn't make an aficionado of the 1911A1 pistol cringe...

With sheet metal Receiver And Slide?

No, I haven't been able to figure that one out. It may not be possible...

Saxon Violence

Boris, if you need somewhere besides photobucket to host the pictures, I can put them on a server.

Ironic this thread was recently bumped after months of being dormant.

I was talking about this and Boris' shovel AK build at a party last night.

I was over at weapons guild and went to the thread concerning this build.
i have thought about this several times over the years. Figured posting would get this going again.

I was over at weapons guild and went to the thread concerning this build.
i have thought about this several times over the years. Figured posting would get this going again.

**** jetsim .

Hadn't seen a thread about this . Just random ones turning airsoft guns in to real guns that look like the slide going to come back and take your teeth out .

Back
Top Bottom