• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Iron Glock

1117257d1370981615-what-your-next-watch-900x900px-ll-9bb28d6b_mother-god-super-troopers.jpeg

I believe it was Kierkegaard or maybe Macklmore who said:
"This is fcuking awesome"

Fosters is Australian.

In Austria they drink stuff I can't pronounce, but they do have some tasty wheat beer.

IIRC Boris kept getting Sam Summer a few weeks ago

my aussie family was shitting all over fosters when they were here, all they wanted were bud diesels. [rofl]

I will buy you a case of whatever beer you want, a bottle of hard alcohol, and pizza :)

Thank you! I was only kidding. Dead serious about a build party though, if we can find a place to fit a few people, let's make it happen.

I was told today that this is a felony waiting to happen by a guy in a shop in free america today. lulz

This is downright shameful and sad, very very sad. In other countries people earn for this freedom. I can understand if there is a gray area or people just piss their pants and willing to sit at the end of the bus, but this is 100% legal and people build semiautos everyday. It's no different from ARs or AKs that many NESers build. I just don't get the FUDD fear of seeing black rifles or seeing people building their own guns.

Another point is getting lost here. It's not a one of pistol, I spend most of my time trying to figure out a procedure and materials that would consistently produce the same thing. Anyone can build a one of build and tune it to do the job. Doing it repeatedly and consistently is the point. Anyone can do it. I will refine steps if something is not clear, but what I want to get through is that it's not rocket science or luck, it's a process with well outlined steps from point A to point B, and anyone can repeat those steps.

Another point is getting lost here. It's not a one of pistol, I spend most of my time trying to figure out a procedure and materials that would consistently produce the same thing. Anyone can build a one of build and tune it to do the job. Doing it repeatedly and consistently is the point. Anyone can do it. I will refine steps if something is not clear, but what I want to get through is that it's not rocket science or luck, it's a process with well outlined steps from point A to point B, and anyone can repeat those steps.

hey there are people out there who were are afraid of converting saiga into an AK config - which basically is just a furniture swap. OMG so hard! i'm not handy with tools![rolleyes]
it took countless online 'manuals' and videos on you tube to convince some of them and some would still feel apprehensive.
maybe a good how-to video needed even if it doesn't come from you. other folks need to start doing it in order for other more wimpy folks start believing it.

it might look easy for us, but for them it looks like making AK receiver from a shovel

Last edited:
I had wanted to hear some kind of range report but got flamed even though I have read thru the whole thread. Curious as to whether this is a novelty range conversation piece or would you trust your life to it.

ETA: If I missed the post where it was mentioned, forgive my ignorance. I'm a dummy.

I had wanted to hear some kind of range report but got flamed even though I have read thru the whole thread. Curious as to whether this is a novelty range conversation piece or would you trust your life to it.

ETA: If I missed the post where it was mentioned, forgive my ignorance. I'm a dummy.

John, 1. this thing takes regular Glock slides without any modifications, so you would expect the same top limit accuracy as from any other Glock slide, subject to the ammo and the barrel/slide combo that you are using.

2. We have established that it would fire upright, sidesways and upside down [laugh] There is no surprise here, steel, plastic, we are talking about the same platform that has been used for decades.

3. The tricky part is the handling/comfort/ergonomics. I suck at being a test-pilot here since I don't usually have preferences, aside having a large grip to fit my hand. In terms of accuracy, if I get enough time "to get used" to a pistol I'm shooting, I shoot it equally well (or bad) as any other pistol, that goes for Nagant revolver with a tiny grip, a Mak, a 1911. To some people gripping makes a huge difference, it may make them fat. I just don't care much and I can't really write a comprehensive review on difference in gripping between 3rd and 4th gen. Because this is a bare-bones frame, there is a potential to change and customize the grip to you liking, whatever it may be. All Glocks have mag well at angle that's more 90, than your standard Glock angle. I think that I mentioned already, if you grip this frame too low, it will limpwrist. That's basically it. Whatever finish you want to make your ergonomics better or worse is up to you. I am not ergonomics expert, I have no idea what people want or like. I think that people obsess over it too much without working on basics first. I'm pretty positive that no one grip will make everyone happy so that part is totally up to you. You can finish the grip any way you like and only blame yourself if it sucks [laugh]

In aerospace testing, "Iron Bird" is a stripped down airplane that's used to test/study only electronic components/avionics. Aside from covering, paint and upholstery is left to the end-customers.

4. I've built things drunk that jammed like there is no tomorrow the next day at the range and had missing parts and rivets in places where there should have been holes. Like any other firearm, it will function to the limit of it's platform as long as you take time to build it to the spec of the platform, i.e. minding and understanding the critical dimensions of the platform.

5. Building rifles and pistols is two different things. Rifles seem to take longer but can tolerate some ****ups dimensionally. Pistols take finesse, patience, and few strokes of a file rather than whaling on the frame with a large hammer. Larger calibers are also more forgiving. A 40 will power through most jams while 22 may get stuck. It all comes down to labor, not the design. Built it like shit and it will work same. But to answer your questions, yes, there are builds in my closet that I've tested, comfortable and I am trusting my life to. Should SHTF, it's the builds that I trust, understand (...grock) that I feel safe with, not a store bought contraption.

John, 1. this thing takes regular Glock slides without any modifications, so you would expect the same top limit accuracy as from any other Glock slide, subject to the ammo and the barrel/slide combo that you are using.

2. We have established that it would fire upright, sidesways and upside down [laugh] There is no surprise here, steel, plastic, we are talking about the same platform that has been used for decades.

3. The tricky part is the handling/comfort/ergonomics. I suck at being a test-pilot here since I don't usually have preferences, aside having a large grip to fit my hand. In terms of accuracy, if I get enough time "to get used" to a pistol I'm shooting, I shoot it equally well (or bad) as any other pistol, that goes for Nagant revolver with a tiny grip, a Mak, a 1911. To some people gripping makes a huge difference, it may make them fat. I just don't care much and I can't really write a comprehensive review on difference in gripping between 3rd and 4th gen. Because this is a bare-bones frame, there is a potential to change and customize the grip to you liking, whatever it may be. All Glocks have mag well at angle that's more 90, than your standard Glock angle. I think that I mentioned already, if you grip this frame too low, it will limpwrist. That's basically it. Whatever finish you want to make your ergonomics better or worse is up to you. I am not ergonomics expert, I have no idea what people want or like. I think that people obsess over it too much without working on basics first. I'm pretty positive that no one grip will make everyone happy so that part is totally up to you. You can finish the grip any way you like and only blame yourself if it sucks [laugh]

In aerospace testing, "Iron Bird" is a stripped down airplane that's used to test/study only electronic components/avionics. Aside from covering, paint and upholstery is left to the end-customers.

4. I've built things drunk that jammed like there is no tomorrow the next day at the range and had missing parts and rivets in places where there should have been holes. Like any other firearm, it will function to the limit of it's platform as long as you take time to build it to the spec of the platform, i.e. minding and understanding the critical dimensions of the platform.

5. Building rifles and pistols is two different things. Rifles seem to take longer but can tolerate some ****ups dimensionally. Pistols take finesse, patience, and few strokes of a file rather than whaling on the frame with a large hammer. Larger calibers are also more forgiving. A 40 will power through most jams while 22 may get stuck. It all comes down to labor, not the design. Built it like shit and it will work same. But to answer your questions, yes, there are builds in my closet that I've tested, comfortable and I am trusting my life to. Should SHTF, it's the builds that I trust, understand (...grock) that I feel safe with, not a store bought contraption.
I appreciate the time Boris. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom