IPSC Videos

derek said:
Rob Boudrie said:
Can you reload a semi-auto handgun and have the first round after the reload fired, and on target, before the magazine you dropped (without the "tactical reload" that virtually no law enforcement agency teaches) hits the ground? Many of the GM's can do this on demand.

Rob,

I have got to see some video of that. Is there any place I can find some?

Derek

Derek here's a site that features a reloading video. The shooter is Travis Tomasie of the AMU.
http://www.teamdarkside.ca/gallery.php?vid=5

If you go to www.Limcat.com and scroll down some, there is a video of JJ Racaza of New Jersey doing a demo where he reloads his gun and catches the falling mag.

I'll have to look to find some others of Phil Strader doing some live fire demos that are insanely fast.

That Tomasie one is pretty sweet. The good thing about the video is you can watch it and practice it yourself. With enough time it will look as fluid.

Thanks for the links GTO.

D

[shock]

bow.gif

Now THAT was impressive.

Round Gun Shooter said:
Even better, go to J-Go's sight and look at the videos. Jake DiVita is insanely fast. Here is the link to Julie's video section. Look at the Area 5 videos of Jake.

http://www.juliegoloski.com/images.html

Jake is also working on a sub 3 sec El Pres. Last I saw he was at 3.08 down 12. Not bad for major power factor loads [shock]

Who the hell needs full auto....

I was able to watch Jake at the Area 7 match last year and it really sounded like fullauto on the close stuff. Jake just turned 21. There are a bunch of kids right around 18 that are unbelieveable.

I have videos from local matches. I'll ask if its ok and find the links to them. I'll bring my camera to AFS this month too.

i do have one small question.
the second video
www.Limcat.com
they are trying to sell brass floorplates under the pretense that a heavier brass baseplate will cause the mag to exit the well and hit the floor faster than a standard mag.
now last time I checked my physics book ,dont all objects regardless of mass fall at the same rate? there are of course atmospheric variables and shape/wind resistance issues...but in general a 2 ton safe will fall at the same rate as a glock 19 from 3 stories up.
this smacks of BS

But that rate of fall, is only when it hits terminal velocity. The rate at which an object accelerates to that speed would be different if weight is a factor.

Or, maybe I'm just talking out my ass??? I can't decide yet! :D

Adam

Physics give me a headache but I think it is a gimic too. He is fast though. He sometimes comes to Westfield to shoot.

The value of the brass basepad would be to add more weight to the gun to benefit while you are shooting. The brass base pads, a tungsten guide rod, or a tungsten magwell are things you can add to make the gun shoot flatter (at the cost of handling?). I have all aluminum pads and they fall fine, as do my friend's mags with their plastic pads.

Making a base pad heavier to fall out of the gun quicker isn't just a gimmick, part of the reason for the heavier mag pad would be to add weight to the mag so it will drop out of the gun, when the release is pressed, and avoid the occasional hang up some mags experience when they are completely empty and you hit the release.
Not an everyday problem, but it happens once in a great while, and if you're at the level that the slower mag change caused by this would cost you money or guns, or something else, may as well do all you can to eliminate the probability of this ever happening.

Unless you're talking about dropping a magazine our the jump door of a plane, atmospheric drag is negligible. OTOH, the friction against the magazines in most pistols isn't. For that reason, a heavier magazine will indeed fall faster than a lighter one. Want to see? Compare dropping an empty magazine with dropping a full one. In most cases the difference will be noticable.

Ken

KMaurer said:
Unless you're talking about dropping a magazine our the jump door of a plane, atmospheric drag is negligible. OTOH, the friction against the magazines in most pistols isn't. For that reason, a heavier magazine will indeed fall faster than a lighter one. Want to see? Compare dropping an empty magazine with dropping a full one. In most cases the difference will be noticable.

Ken

Absolutely right.

GTOShootr said:
The value of the brass basepad would be to add more weight to the gun to benefit while you are shooting.

I based the above not on a belief that they wouldn't fall out of the gun slightly better, but on the belief that having a flatter shooting gun is a more of noticeable benefit of brass or tungsten components. After the issue was brought up, I went over to the BrianEnos forum and read where people, including Jake DaVita from the other video, tried them and saw no noticeable difference in mag changes over other brands. Like SuperMatt said, it isn’t everyday problem. In fact, you see more polished mag bodies than you do brass base pads. One of our friend’s does that and, if anything, his mags fall out easier than he wants them too sometimes [wink].

The gimick is in the advertising. Do they fall out faster with more force? Yes. Are regular padded mags really slow to fall? Not really. However, having someone like JJ catch the falling mag creates that perception. He’s the amazing one there, not the product.

[/i]

Back
Top Bottom