• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IPSC Grandmaster exchanges gunfire with armed robbers

richc

NES Member
I suggest you go to this link and watch the interview with Mr. Thalheimer.

What do you think... did he do the right thing here?

Rich

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/feb/08/sandy-thalheimer-jeweler-armed-robbery-shot-back/

"NAPLES — The owner of a defensive gun school in Fort Myers wasn’t about to let armed robbers outside his Naples jewelry store get away without a fight.

So, when Sandy Thalheimer, owner of Thalheimers Jewelers, saw masked men speed off after robbing someone in his jewelry store parking lot Tuesday afternoon, he raced toward their car, rammed it with his truck and within seconds was in the middle of a shootout, taking on more than four men."

Seems like the guy training other people in defensive shooting would be able to hit something... I know heat of the moment and all but there have been a lot of stories of random person shot intruder etc. this guy was supposed to be an "expert".

Seems like the guy training other people in defensive shooting would be able to hit something... I know heat of the moment and all but there have been a lot of stories of random person shot intruder etc. this guy was supposed to be an "expert".

Maybe he is really a semi shooter but didn't have the gun he should have been carrying.... In FL it's pretty common to sprinkle the infield with
guns, maybe this was just his "truck gun" but if I was in his shoes I would want to upgrade it after that incident. The other thing is, sometimes everything you know goes right out the window under intense stress, and I can only imagine what was going through his mind when it happened.

I don't really see enough data there to MMQB the guy, but if these thieves were threatening the lives of people he knows, IMO his actions are completely justified. This is also FL where anything remotely approaching a threat is addressable. He'd be in some trouble if he went off chasing them down the street or something, but violent felons in your parking lot are pretty much fair game.

I do have to wonder the wisdom of not carrying something beefier in that business, though. I knew a guy in AZ that used to deal in precious stones (not the typical jewelery store stuff) and after a scuffle with some thieves at a motel, with him and his wife, he started carrying 2 guns at all times when working shows.

If anything his actions probably will help keep that band of a**h***s away from his shop. [laugh]

-Mike

He teaches defensive handgun,what is defensive about running towards gunfire,with a truck, to exchange gunfire ?

The guy is an idiot,probably has been waiting for something like this to happen so he can ad "street cred" to his classes and charge $30.00 more per head.He will now probably write a book and other "instructors" will take classes from him and hail him as some sort of God among men.

The only time someone should run towards gunfire is if your buddies need help,not some customers that just got robbed.

It's borderline irresponsible to be in the jewelry business only have a 5-shot thing at any circumstances.

I don't believe I would ever add the fact that "I RAN TOWARDS THE GUNFIRE" rather would simply say something to the effect, it just happened right in front of me, it has that vigilante look to it. And yes, if your carrying valuable rocks around, a primary hi-cap weapon with a backup is more par for the course.

He teaches defensive handgun,what is defensive about running towards gunfire,with a truck, to exchange gunfire ?

The guy is an idiot,probably has been waiting for something like this to happen so he can ad "street cred" to his classes and charge $30.00 more per head.He will now probably write a book and other "instructors" will take classes from him and hail him as some sort of God among men.

The only time someone should run towards gunfire is if your buddies need help,not some customers that just got robbed.

+1

I don't think this was the proper response to a robbery that was over and done with. The felons had their loot and were trying to escape; no one's life was in danger at this point. The "Grandmaster" started a gunfight in a heavily populated area over money, not to save a life. Bad choice.

No innocent bystanders were hurt. I don't have a problem with what he did. A district attorney might, but screw them.

As long as no innocent people were hurt, this guy did us all a favor. If criminals go unchecked then they will continue.

I fear he may be the subject of some retaliation.

I don't think this was the proper response to a robbery that was over and done with. The felons had their loot and were trying to escape; no one's life was in danger at this point. The "Grandmaster" started a gunfight in a heavily populated area over money, not to save a life. Bad choice.

It's OK for someone to commit a crime as long as they turn tail and run away?

It's OK for someone to commit a crime as long as they turn tail and run away?

In Florida it's only legal to shoot someone to prevent a "forcible felony." The only time that the average citizen can shoot someone who is fleeing is when an unlawful intruder is inside the home or vehicle. In a dynamic situation where the attacker has their back turned while still in the fight it's different, but based on this guys statements, the forcible felony was over and they were simply fleeing the scene.

I still doubt that he'll see any negative legal action, because non-criminals get the benefit of the doubt down here if they crossed a few lines but had things right in general. The Norman Borden shooting is the most recent questionable incident I've heard of in this state where the citizen was even charged (though he wasn't convicted).

It might have been dumb, but I'm glad he did it. Screw thieves. If any of them got hit, they got what they deserve.

I totally agree..We need more useful idiots like this grandmaster flash tool.

Although one bad shot or a ricochet and he would be re-thinking what he did and whether or not it was worth it to fire at people that were no direct threat to him or his family and friends.If one of his superhero instructor grandmaster shots happened to hit an innocent bystander,everybody would be calling him an idiot.

Ahhhh, the beauty of a pocket pistol. Four armed gunmen in a car and you have five shots. He is lucky that he was not shot.

I'll bet that he carries his Glock 19 everywhere now.

Thalheimer fired all five rounds from the pocket pistol he keeps in his truck

Sounds like J frame to me, fired at something a bit further than "in your face" distance, which can account for the reduced hit potential.

Also, the thread title is slightly off:

Code:
Classifications (updated 1/12/2011):
OPEN	Class: A	Pct: 80.79	High Pct: 82.78
LIMITED	Class: M	Pct: 88.94	High Pct: 89.16
LIMITED10	Class: U	Pct: 0.00	High Pct: 0.00
PRODUCTION	Class: A	Pct: 59.63	High Pct: 59.63
REVOLVER	Class: U	Pct: 0.00	High Pct: 0.00
SINGLESTACK	Class: U	Pct: 0.00	High Pct: 0.00

Well said, I agree.

Goes to show you why IDPA is better.

Back
Top Bottom