• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IPSC @ AFS in Attleboro

As I mentioned in the other off-topic thread, I'de be happy to volunteer getting AFS of the table and into the ranges as a IPSC location.

I've wanted to start doing "practical shooting", but really didnt want to drive all over the state for it.

popcorn.gif

Depending on what the schedule looks like, I'd be willing to come early and help with set up and stage design. My better half works everyother weekend so I hope any matches would fall on the "right" weekend. If I'm available, I'll help out.

Hamar said:
Depending on what the schedule looks like, I'd be willing to come early and help with set up and stage design. My better half works everyother weekend so I hope any matches would fall on the "right" weekend. If I'm available, I'll help out.

I'm in the same boat, but i would be willing to help if I am available. I only live about 10 mins away.

If IPSC was to happen at AFS and additional bodies were needed to help - I'd be there to help break down and clean up after the match.

Setup - would be iffy as it's an hours ride - but if needed I'd make it.
Goodluck - I hope it starts up!
Paul

I'll be there to help with Matt, secure props, build stages, introduce newbies, etc. It is a great opportunity for all those involved since we have such a good USPSA representation in the area. For AFS, it would bring in a group of shooters that pratice a lot (buy memberships) and burn through tons of ammo. For there current clients, it would give them an outlet that keeps shooting interesting and brings new challenges. For the IPSC junkies, it's another fix.

AFS

Thank you all who have been volunteering to help.

I will be in contact with Matt (General Manager and CEO) after Thanksgiving to see if I can talk him into setting up meeting on a Sat or Sun morning to work out the specific plans and timetable for getting winter matche started at AFS. If that happens, the pizza is on me.

If this meeting happens, and it's a conclusion that it 's a "go", there is going to be one work party before the first match to build wooden target stands, a few barriacades and some portable walls. I have already found someone who lives within 10 minutes of the AFS facility who may be willing to run the competitive aspects of the program, so that AFS can concentrate on the administrative issues (scheduling, handling $$, etc.).

One final thought - If the people who have offered help do not deliver, no program we start is going to survive for long. If everyone pitches in, we'll get matches, AFS will get more $$ and customers, and everyone will win.

Organizational Meeting, Sat 12/12/05, 10AM, free lunch.

I just got off the phone with Matt Medeiros, GM/CEO of American Firearms School.

We are having a meeting to discuss the specifics of starting up a USPSA/IPSC program at 10:00AM on Saturday, December 10 at the American Firearms School (directions at www.americanfirearmsschool.com). Pizza will be served at noon.

If you are interested in helping with the program, please joins us for planning and pizza. The more people who actually show up, the better the chances are that we will get a winter match series at AFS. These matches will only happen if we get enough help to support a program.

Matt will be there, and I anticipate that a decision as to the future of a USPSA/IPSC match series will be made at this meeting.

We will also be doing a brief overview of match procedures and rules after lunch for those people who have never shot a USPSA/IPSC match before but are interested.

Schedule

I know about the gun show, but it's a compromise between getting it done soon, vs. sending out lots of emails to find out who could make it when. The meeting room at AFS was already booked on Sunday 12/11, and I have some conflicts as well (wife works every other weekend). Once the program is up and running, nobody will have to check my schedule when setting a date :).

If we tried to wait until it was convenient, rather than soon, we'd be having a meeting in January about starting matches in February. The winter season is only about 4 months as it is, so I didn't want to start out by losing 25% of the matches before we even start.

Rob

No big deal. I only know of one old timer that had plans for an annual trip to the gun show. I can fill him in after and maybe bring him by the range before. He needs the practice anyways. [wink]

Just a reminder that the meeting regarding IPSC matches is coming up this Saturday the 10th at 10am at AFS.

Remember Rob is bringing pizza and free SVI pistols for everyone who comes to the meeting.

(some of that might not be true [wink] )

Please post any updates here as to how the meeting went. My family Christmas get together this year is at my sisters house up in North Conway and they planned it for this saturday.

I will repeat that if the matches do happen and the schedule falls correctly, I will help in set up and such on match day.

AFS

I realize the difficulty many people having showing up on any one particular day, especially during the holiday season. I opted for "soon" rather than "maximum attendance" for this meeting since we don't have much time if we're going to have a program for this winter.

If we get the matches started, you will all have a chance to "put up or shut up." It won't be necessary to show up before every match starts, or hang around after each one BUT .....

If everyone consistently offers nothing but good reasons why they are able to shoot, but not able to show up early to set up stages, help with the match, or stay after to put everything away, this program will die after the first season. On the other hand - if we have a steady supply of workers, and end up with a waiting list of individuals who want to take an event as "guest match director", we could all have another weekend match throughout winters to come.

I think the USPSA community can pull this off, and that many of the people who cannot make this meeting will indeed step forward to help. We're not going to need every individual at each match - my guess is that it will take 3-4 people to put on a match once props are built. The availability of AFS staff to handle the mechanics of competitor signup and registration is the equivalent of another match worker or two.

Just another reminder of the meeting.

Also, if you want to check out something (open gun, limited gun, etc), just post it.

See you there,

Steve

Meeting

Our Section Coordinator Dan Hurley will be there from 10:00AM to 11:30AM, so we will be able to find out what dates are OK with the Northeast Section.

Rob

Peopel - if you are ANYWHERE East of 495, getting events running at AFS beats a trek to S&W. Might even be cheaper! [wink]

Let's try to make this happen.

AFS

It's not either/or. I expect dates will be coordinated so you can shoot both S&W and AFS each month in the winter.

Rob

I am interested in getting into this kinda shooting. I signed up for my USPSA memebership, now I just need to go.

I will be more than happy to get to matches early to help out.

AFS

Today's meeting went very well, and AFS will have indoor USPSA matches on Jan 22, Feb 19 and Mar 19, 2006. These dates have been approved by the USPSA Northeast Section Coordinator, and will appear on the schedule at www.uspsa-ne.org once the club's application is processed.

Some details:

Matches will be limited to 36 people and will require advance signup. The match fee will be $20. Please do not call AFS for a slot yet as that will not start signups until their USPSA affiliation has been processed.

Matches will start at 9AM and matches will probably run until about 2PM. Future squadding policies may be tweaked based on match turnout, throughput and customer feedback.

These will be official USPSA matches with one classifier.

We will have 3 squads of 12 on two ranges, with one squad being "off range" for a rotation - but there will be options of things to do during that time. There is a lounge with a great TV to watch the Burkett videos during your "off rotation", or you can use their simulator for (probably) $5 a run. Thing of a giant video game where you use your own gun and live ammo to shoot at projected images which dynamically react to hits. This will be an optional side event, will not count as part of the match score, and will be run by AFS staff rather than match ROs. I know that I will be bringing extra ammo to the AFS matches so I can take my turn using this system.

38supermatt said:
i wish we could play on the simulator that shoots back.
Be fun to place side bets on how many times someone will get shot.
We can alwahys talk to them about that, but you can only use a simunition gun - not a real one. The balls it shoots come in two varieties - hard and soft. To give you a idea of how hard - is is my understanding that the windshield on the car front in that room was not cracked when they first put it there.

Like Rob said, the meeting went great. I'm looking forward to the matches. The relatively short stages will be fun and the addition of the side match concept is a big plus.

I would like to thank Matt from AFS and Rob for the putting it together and making it happen. Thanks for the coffe and pizza too (Rob ordered us 8 pizzas!).

Steve

Back
Top Bottom